Can I use barometer sensor without app ?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an Galaxy A8 2018 and has a barometer sensor. Can I use this barometer to see the ambient air pressure without any application ? I Don't want to use any app due to ads and commercials inside of these apps. I know, this sensor is used internal fr internal processes, but I was wondering if I could use it myself :)

Thank you for time.

Flaviu.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The sensor is just a voltage source - you can't "see" voltage, you need some software to read it and display the results - as pressure or altitude - on the screen. (You can't "use" any sensor without some software. In a cellphone or elsewhere. You plug a keyboard into a desktop - and there's software reading the port that the keyboard is connected to.)

mesajflaviu

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site
The sensor is just a voltage source - you can't "see" voltage, you need some software to read it and display the results - as pressure or altitude - on the screen. (You can't "use" any sensor without some software. In a cellphone or elsewhere. You plug a keyboard into a desktop - and there's software reading the port that the keyboard is connected to.)

Yes, I know that I cannot use it without software, but I want to know if I can use it with some native Android software from my Galaxy A8. I avoid to use any play store app from at least two reasons:

1. There are full of adds. And those adds eats my battery.
2. Lot of them are not efficient and not intuitive .. .except those ones that are made it by serious companies, rarely I saw something good. I know, I might be wrong, but this is my feeling about android apps after few days of app trials.

So, I guess there is no something native on my smartphone that tell me the air pressure, right ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I know that I cannot use it without software, but I want to know if I can use it with some native Android software from my Galaxy A8.
The only guaranteed "native" Android software is the Linux kernel and the Android JIT compiler. And all they do is run apps. (Even a Google phone comes with apps.)

I avoid to use any play store app from at least two reasons:

1. There are full of adds.
Only some of them. Uninstall those, and look for ad-free apps that perform the same function.

And those adds eats my battery.
Not really. If they do, you don't have an app, you have malware masquerading as an app.

2. Lot of them are not efficient and not intuitive .. .except those ones that are made it by serious companies, rarely I saw something good. I know, I might be wrong, but this is my feeling about android apps after few days of app trials.
With the state of "people 'making apps' to make money", instead of people developing apps because they're developers, you sometimes have to try a dozen apps for a single function until you find a good one.

So, I guess there is no something native on my smartphone that tell me the air pressure, right ?
Nope. Anything that will display barometric pressure is an added app. GPS Status & Toolbox (3 bar menu/Diagnose sensors) will show you the pressure. (There are ads, but add-free is only $2.)

mesajflaviu

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site
Kindly thank you Rukbat for so complete answer. Do you use GPS Status & Toolbox app ? If you do, it is fine as barometer information ? I mean is correct air pressure indicator ?

"With the state of "people 'making apps' to make money", instead of people developing apps because they're developers, you sometimes have to try a dozen apps for a single function until you find a good one."

Perfectly agree with you !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer