I dictate all day long and it's a real time saver. Quite often it's a big paragraph explaining something somewhat complicated and so I sometimes pause and think how I am going to word the next part.

As of today, the messages are inserting periods if I pause for over 1 second. It's making my dictation a bunch of incomplete sentences and looks grammatically disgusting. I was quite okay with saying comma and period, but is Google now basically replacing that with it's own "smart" punctuation insertion methods?

Samsung Note 10+ using Swiftkey with Google Voice Typing.
    Laura Record likes this.
    02-04-2020 11:20 AM
    I dictate all day long and it's a real time saver. Quite often it's a big paragraph explaining something somewhat complicated and so I sometimes pause and think how I am going to word the next part.

As of today, the messages are inserting periods if I pause for over 1 second. It's making my dictation a bunch of incomplete sentences and looks grammatically disgusting. I was quite okay with saying comma and period, but is Google now basically replacing that with it's own "smart" punctuation insertion methods?

Samsung Note 10+ using Swiftkey with Google Voice Typing.
    Same here. At first I thought it was Swiftkey, but I tried with another keyboard and had the same result. I don't see a lot of posts about this yet, but we can't be the only ones. It's so annoying.

Rich
    Laura Record likes this.
    02-04-2020 01:04 PM
    Welcome to AC forums. To the OP, here's a link so that you can reply to this thread... https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-new-post.html

While some may complain that it is inserting too many punctuations, there are an equal number that complained that it was not inserting enough. Making their dictations big long run on sentences. I fall into that camp. For me calling out "period" and "comma" every few seconds made actually using this feature more of a pain than a time saver.

One could always be more concise in their dictation.

Plan out what they want to say prior to starting the dictation, leaving less stopping and thinking, pauses and umms.

And as always practice, practice, practice. One could look at it as a public speaking exercise and imagine speaking to a person where they would want to pause the end of a complete idea and avoid stops and starts.
    02-04-2020 08:07 PM
    I was a transcriptionist for two years and heard thousands on thousands of samples from hundreds of exemplars. Literally every one of them had extensive pauses, including dozens who'd been dictating for decades. This is not a public speaking exercise, this is a bug.

OP and rich_lux, try uninstalling the Google app updates. That resolved the problem for me.
    mustang7757 and Beverly F like this.
    02-05-2020 06:11 PM
    Yes it's a bug in latest update to Goggles app
    02-05-2020 06:17 PM
    Yes it's a bug in latest update to Goggles app
    And thanks again for helping me figure it out. Email was much easier today thanks to that!
    mustang7757 and VidJunky like this.
    02-05-2020 06:21 PM
    And thanks again for helping me figure it out. Email was much easier today thanks to that!
    Your welcome ! Glad I could help.
    Laura Record likes this.
    02-05-2020 06:24 PM
    Okay, so yes, you want to delete all updates on the Google app. But you also need to go to the play store and turn off auto updates. I skipped that step yesterday and now the Almighty Goog has restored the update and taken away my option to delete the updates.

I don't think it's a bug. I think they actually think it's an improvement. I'm highly peeved and looking for alternatives to using the Google speech to text engine. So far I haven't had any luck. Any ideas?
    02-06-2020 09:02 AM
    Welcome to AC forums. To the OP, here's a link so that you can reply to this thread... https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-new-post.html

While some may complain that it is inserting too many punctuations, there are an equal number that complained that it was not inserting enough. Making their dictations big long run on sentences. I fall into that camp. For me calling out "period" and "comma" every few seconds made actually using this feature more of a pain than a time saver.

One could always be more concise in their dictation.

Plan out what they want to say prior to starting the dictation, leaving less stopping and thinking, pauses and umms.

And as always practice, practice, practice. One could look at it as a public speaking exercise and imagine speaking to a person where they would want to pause the end of a complete idea and avoid stops and starts.
    Sorry, but that's bunk. You don't even have to pause. Google thinks their AI has better grammar than me and they aren't even close! I'm extremely annoyed. Besides, why would you adjust your IQ to fit the lowest common denominator. People should learn to use proper grammar - or not. If you can't compose a simple text you deserve not to be understood. That's better than an AI inserting it's improper understanding!!!
    VidJunky likes this.
    02-06-2020 09:09 AM
    Evidently my response wasn't received well. I used myself as an example of things I did to improve my voice to text and received a lovely personal message along with the above response. So here again I am using myself as an example. While working I couldn't send texts so I would write out things like this so that when I was able I could just read out the text and send it. It flowed better, I didn't stammer or have to question if I'd left anything out and I could do rewrites until I got it the way I wanted. This may not work for everyone or in every situation, this is what worked for me and is only advice, take it or leave it. If it truly is a bug I hope mustang7757's advice helped you with that. Google Voice Typing now inserts punctuation, and too frequently-20200207_234450.jpeg
    02-07-2020 10:55 PM