Invalid Sim error - unmounted incorrectly - now what?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So I woke up this morning with the message "Invalid sim card" on my phone. Have never before touched it/removed it etc so not sure what happened. Did not realize I needed to "unmount" first and pulled it out without doing so. Powered down, put sim back in, powered up and no change. Tried putting back in with phone running, power down and back up, no change. Phone settings/storage has the Mount Sim card grayed out, won't let me select. Am I completely screwed? What can I do now? Do I need a new SIM? How do I get the phone to allow me to put a new one in if Mount is not viable option? Please help! thanks

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
So far as I know, you only need to Unmount SD cards before removing....although I don't know that explosions occur if you forget.
It could be that the SIM or the SIM reader is bad. Try your SIM in another phone, or another SIM in yours.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unmounting is to make sure that writing is finished before you remove the card. Since you can't write to a SIM card (and it's not even part of Linux - which is where mounting and unmounting happens in Android devices) there's no reason to have an "unmount" option for it (or any way to write one).

I'd guess that the card went bad. Contact your network provider (whoever the SIM is from).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34