Can an Arnova 10 G2 tablet still be used?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Let me start by saying I am rather technically challenged. My mother gave me her old tablet. It is an Arnova 10 G2. It is Android Version 2.3.1; Kernel Version 2.6.32.27; Gingerbread. I have been trying to update it but so far have not been able to figure out how to do it.

I have been able to connect it to read my incoming gmail, but I can not send any gmail from it. I put in the following settings:
SMTP Server - smtp.g.mail.com
Port - 465
Security Type - TLS (Accept all certificates)
Then I get a message saying "Setup could not finish. TLS required but not supported by server."
If I change the port to 587, it completes the setup, but then the mail just sits in the outbox and when I try to send it from the outbox, it says "connection error".

When I try to get on most web sites it says: "Data connectivity problem. A secure connection could not be established." I have tried to download an updated browser (Google, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.), but the download always fails and it says the browser is no longer supported and to go to the Google Play app store, but I can't get Google Play app store to open, as It says the web page is not available.

I don't know how to make this tablet useable or if it is even possible.

I figured if I took it to a computer repair shop, it would cost me more to have them update it (if that is even possible) than it would cost for me to buy a new tablet.

Can anyone help with if it is possible to update this and if so, give me very clear, step by step directions on how to do it? I would greatly appreciate it!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not all that familiar with Tabs but I would assume they aren't much different than Phones. If this were a phone I would say that any use you manage will be severely limited. Finding apps for it will be nearly impossible with an OS as old as Gingerbread further making using it difficult to use. The main problem is the hardware. As OSs progress the minimum requirement for hardware bumps up. Considering this tab was probably on Éclair or FroYo when it was purchased and only upgraded to Gingerbread means that Ice Cream and Jelly Bean are probably out of the question. You might be able to find some online mirrors with old apps that would run on it, but those are mostly going to be games and useless stuff. Plus you never know what you'll get at these online places, so it isn't the best idea.

My thoughts are it's time to recycle the tab and find another. If you have some younger kids in the family that just want to play games they might find some use for it but as a workable tab I think it's life is over.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams