How can I restore my sent SMS messages when switching SMS text apps?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 plus and I'm using the stock Samsung messaging app. I am now trying to switch to the Google SMS messages app. I have switched back and forth between these apps a very long time ago although I can't remember when the last time was that I did it.

Now when I enable the Google SMS messages app as default, all of my incoming texts show up but none of my outgoing texts are there although they are all still there in the Samsung SMS app. I have tried using a program called SMS backup and restore and still my incoming texts are there but my outgoing texts are not unless I revert back to the Samsung app. I have tried clearing the cache a on the new SMS app. I really would like to switch to the Google app but I cannot lose the text messages.

Suggestions are appreciated!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I too have the S10+ and switched from Messages+ to the Google app and I seem to have all of my messages. I haven't tried the Samsung SMS app... I'm wondering if it is encrypted or something... In which case I would imagine that both incoming and outgoing would have the same encryption and if that were the issue then neither would show up...

Just thinking out loud...

Perhaps it is an issue between the two and you need mediator, a go between.

I would get, install or make default some other app. See if all of the messages transferred to it, then try to make the change to Google.

I would also try clearing the app cache and data for both apps. You shouldn't loose any messages doing this but maybe there's something causing communication issues stuck in there.

P.S. One crazy thing I did notice was, on two occasions I switched back to Messages+ and when I did a bunch of my messages since the switch to Google started coming in, like all at once. My phone had dozens of notifications like it had been off since the switch. I never received any "Hey what the heck..." replies so I'm assuming it was a localized phenomenon.

kyleresq

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon but I downloaded Textra and Handcent. On both, my outgoing messages did not sync. So clearly this has something to do with the Samsung stock app.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon but I downloaded Textra and Handcent. On both, my outgoing messages did not sync. So clearly this has something to do with the Samsung stock app.
Yep that would be my conclusion too. That sucks. I don't know why it would be like that though. Since it most certainly is a Samsung SMS issue, I wonder if there might be help or advice on their FAQ page?

Hey I'm curious and I think you should try this to either further illustrate that it is truly the Samsung SMS or say that there's something else going on...

With one of those other apps installed, send a handful of messages and then try Google messaging. See if those messages migrate. Unless you've already tried this?

kyleresq

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I will try it and report back! I will tell you that I contacted the developer of SMS backup and restore to ask him about it and he told me that the way that Samsung stores messages it's not an SMS but a "chat" and therefore it doesn't back up. But the way I think about it, when I get a new phone, I'm somehow able to transfer all of the messages from my old phone to my new phone (provided I'm using the Samsung app) so it is backed up somewhere. Just trying to figure out how to crack that code.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome