How do wipe out Chrome bookmarks and start from scratch?

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Fhen I first got a tablet a few years ago, I synched my Chrome bookmarks with those on my Windows PC. It took a couple of days and a couple of tries, and after that, I turned Sync off. Now I still have those old bookmarks. When I got a new tablet, Google went out and grabbed the old bookmarks from somewhere, so I couldn't even start from scratch then. I want to get rid of them and Sync with my desktop Chrome bookmarks again. I can find no information on how to do this. When I delete the Android Chrome bookmarks and then turn on Sync, it brings back the old bookmarks I just deleted. I can't uninstall Chrome, and clearing data doesn't help. What do I do?

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
That is exactly what I did. And as I said in my original post, they come right back when I turn on Sync (when what I wanted was for Sync to synchronize my device with the Chrome bookmarks on my PC). Does anyone know how to do what I want to accomplish?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
In your Google account, look at the devices that are attached to the account.
You'll need to turn sync off from the Settings on each device, and untoggle Sync everywhere.
Then, clear the cache partition and reboot.
Good luck

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is your desktop Chrome logged into the same Google account as the one on your phone? If not, then your phone won't sync with your desktop Chrome's bookmarks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That is exactly what I did. And as I said in my original post, they come right back when I turn on Sync (when what I wanted was for Sync to synchronize my device with the Chrome bookmarks on my PC). Does anyone know how to do what I want to accomplish?
That's good question , not sure , my phone bookmark doesn't sync with my desktop .

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
In your Google account, look at the devices that are attached to the account.
You'll need to turn sync off from the Settings on each device, and untoggle Sync everywhere.
Then, clear the cache partition and reboot.
Good luck

Sync is already turned off everywhere. When you say "clear the cache partition," are you referring to my PC, or Android tablet? I cleared the data from the tablet, made sure I was logged into the same account on my PC, and got the same result as always. What I think would be most helpful to me at this time is an answer to the following question: After I've deleted them from Chrome on my tablet, and cleared Chrome data, where is Chrome getting those old bookmarks from when l turn on Sync? They are nowhere to be found on my PC. Maybe all I need to do is find out where they are and then delete them.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Fhen I first got a tablet a few years ago, I synched my Chrome bookmarks with those on my Windows PC. It took a couple of days and a couple of tries, and after that, I turned Sync off. Now I still have those old bookmarks. When I got a new tablet, Google went out and grabbed the old bookmarks from somewhere, so I couldn't even start from scratch then. I want to get rid of them and Sync with my desktop Chrome bookmarks again. I can find no information on how to do this. When I delete the Android Chrome bookmarks and then turn on Sync, it brings back the old bookmarks I just deleted. I can't uninstall Chrome, and clearing data doesn't help. What do I do?
Without knowing exactly what you set up, it's hard to dx why it's repopulatung.
It could be as easy as you have another Google account, and sharing between them is responsible depending on the settings.
When I mentioned clear the cache, I'm referring to the device.
Enter into your reset screen, and there should also be a option to clear the cache partition. Afterwards, reboot.
Have you tried adding a new bookmark to see if it happens to current ones?
You'll need to do some checking for each Google account and each device.

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I successfully got rid of the bookmarks, per your instructions. So now I have only a single, mobile bookmark in Android Chrome. But after turning on Sync, nothing happens. It's been hours. I tried turning off and on, logging out and logging in again. Nothing. Then I went to check on my Windows Chrome settings to make sure that Sync is turned on. I cannot find a switch to turn it on anywhere. To reset it (as I have), yes. HELP on how to turn it on, yes--but it tells me to sign in to my Google account and click Turn On Sync--which is nowhere to be found. When I do a search on "where do I find Turn On Sync", it just tells me to click Turn On Sync. I give up. I guess I should have left well-enough alone; better old bookmarks than none.

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
AARGH! Logged out and in again, and this time it gave me the Turn On Sync option! Will it actually sync? Who knows? (If it's supposed to start immediately, it's still not working. If it takes a few minutes or more to get going, then there is still hope. Either way, I'm done trying. I'll just add bookmarks to Chrome as needed, and use my Firefox app when I need access to my Windows bookmarks. Too bad you can't simply import and export in Android as you can in Windows Chrome. I've always missed having that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you tap the Bookmarks option in mobile Chrome, does it go directly to the Mobile Bookmarks folder? I.e., do you see "Mobile bookmarks" at the top of the screen? If so, then tap the left arrow at the upper left, so that it says Bookmarks at the top. Do you see any other folders besides Mobile Bookmarks there (like Bookmarks Bar or Other Bookmarks)?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
AARGH! Logged out and in again, and this time it gave me the Turn On Sync option! Will it actually sync? Who knows? (If it's supposed to start immediately, it's still not working. If it takes a few minutes or more to get going, then there is still hope. Either way, I'm done trying. I'll just add bookmarks to Chrome as needed, and use my Firefox app when I need access to my Windows bookmarks. Too bad you can't simply import and export in Android as you can in Windows Chrome. I've always missed having that.
After each device signs into the same account for the first time, give it a bit, with making sure that they are all up and running with background data enabled on all.
Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463