I have an SD card in my Huawei and am wondering if when I delete a photo on my Huawei it also deletes from the SD card?

Also is there a way to recover a deleted image from 6 months ago?

Thanks
    03-18-2020 07:24 PM
    if when I delete a photo on my Huawei it also deletes from the SD card?
    Only if it was stored there in the first place.

Can it be recovered? Just as with any other storage medium, when a file is deleted it actually just marks the storage space as available for writing. If nothing is ever written to those areas, the file very well could be recovered.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    03-18-2020 07:47 PM
    If you had photos backed up to Huawei cloud or Google photos might get them back , for other question sd card is separate storage so wont effect what you erase on phone as you already moved to sd card
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    03-18-2020 08:17 PM
    If you had photos backed up to Huawei cloud or Google photos might get them back , for other question sd card is separate storage so wont effect what you erase on phone as you already moved to sd card

Hi, thanks for your reply. The photo I deleted was a photo taken on my Huawei, would this have been saved to the SD card. Also do you know if Huawei include an SD card out of the box?

Thanks!
    03-19-2020 04:06 AM
    Huawei does not include an SD card, you would have needed to install one yourself. By default, camera apps will not save to the SD card, you'd have to set that once one is installed.

Welcome as a new member.
    03-19-2020 07:31 AM
    Hi, thanks for your reply. The photo I deleted was a photo taken on my Huawei, would this have been saved to the SD card. Also do you know if Huawei include an SD card out of the box?

Thanks!
    Hi welcome to AC!
    Only if you had camera save to sd card instead of internal storage, and no they dont come with sd cards .
    03-19-2020 08:32 AM
    Hi welcome to AC!
    Only if you had camera save to sd card instead of internal storage, and no they dont come with sd cards .
    Thank you both for welcoming me! What is the phone set to by defAult? Also how do I change this setting. Thanks again!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-19-2020 08:38 AM
    Thank you both for welcoming me! What is the phone set to by defAult? Also how do I change this setting. Thanks again!
    You can check your camera app settings where default storage is ..
    androkid10 likes this.
    03-19-2020 08:42 AM
    You can check your camera app settings where default storage is ..
    Ok thank you, I noticed there are multiple camera apps, I have a photos app and gallery app where both my videos and photos are stored. If I delete a photo/video from the gallery app will this delete from the photos app vice versa?

Sorry for all the questions I’m new to android you see.

Thank you
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-19-2020 09:02 AM
    The ACTUAL camera app, the one where the picture is actually taken.

Photos is linked to your Google photos account as well, but if it's showing files from the device the pictures MIGHT disappear from Photos when removed from the Gallery, unless Photos synced to your account (which is controlled in the settings for Photos).
    androkid10 likes this.
    03-19-2020 09:26 AM
    Ok thank you, I noticed there are multiple camera apps, I have a photos app and gallery app where both my videos and photos are stored. If I delete a photo/video from the gallery app will this delete from the photos app vice versa?

Sorry for all the questions I’m new to android you see.

Thank you
    No problem we here to help , yes the one you take the picture.
    androkid10 likes this.
    03-19-2020 09:31 AM
    The ACTUAL camera app, the one where the picture is actually taken.

Photos is linked to your Google photos account as well, but if it's showing files from the device the pictures MIGHT disappear from Photos when removed from the Gallery, unless Photos synced to your account (which is controlled in the settings for Photos).
    Ok , thank you both. So if I delete a photo from the camera app, it will be deleted everywhere else it’s stored on the phone? Thanks

No problem we here to help , yes the one you take the picture.
    Hi, thank you both, you have really helped. So if I delete a photo/video from the camera app it will delete everywhere else?
    03-19-2020 01:08 PM
    You won't delete a picture from the camera app, you'd do that within Photos or Gallery.
    03-19-2020 01:13 PM
    You won't delete a picture from the camera app, you'd do that within Photos or Gallery.
    Sorry I meant if I deleted it from gallery app it would delete everywhere else? This is all new to me. Thanks again
    03-19-2020 01:28 PM
    Sorry I meant if I deleted it from gallery app it would delete everywhere else? This is all new to me. Thanks again
    Correct. Android is no different than a PC in this regard. The file is stored in only one location (unless you copied it to a second location), which is then viewable by various apps. The camera app likely has a built in viewer, the stand alone gallery app can view it, and even a regular file manager can access it. It is not stored inside these various apps, but those apps can modify it based on their designs.
    03-19-2020 02:14 PM
    Correct. Android is no different than a PC in this regard. The file is stored in only one location (unless you copied it to a second location), which is then viewable by various apps. The camera app likely has a built in viewer, the stand alone gallery app can view it, and even a regular file manager can access it. It is not stored inside these various apps, but those apps can modify it based on their designs.
    Ok, thank you all so much for helping to answer my question. You have all been so helpful.
    03-19-2020 02:19 PM
    Sorry to bring this up again but I deleted a bunch of photos on my Huawei and accidentally deleted a video, I previously opened this video in the gallery app but can’t see it on recently deleted. Where else could this be stored on the device? Is there a files app I can go in to?
    03-26-2020 08:12 PM
    If you deleted the video and didn't back it up anywhere, then there won't be a copy of it cached somewhere. You'd have to use a file recovery program to try to get it, but this can be challenging if it was on Internal Storage (less challenging if on SD): [Guide] Recovering Deleted Files - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Which app did you delete the video with? Go to that app and see if there's a Trash option, in which case the file might be there and restorable.
    03-26-2020 08:31 PM
    If you deleted the video and didn't back it up anywhere, then there won't be a copy of it cached somewhere. You'd have to use a file recovery program to try to get it, but this can be challenging if it was on Internal Storage (less challenging if on SD): [Guide] Recovering Deleted Files - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Which app did you delete the video with? Go to that app and see if there's a Trash option, in which case the file might be there and restorable.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I deleted it on the gallery app but unsure if I could have opened it on another app. I have checked the gallery app but it’s not on recently deleted. I don’t use google photos and don’t think it’s backed up anywhere.
    03-27-2020 04:54 AM
    No Trash folder in the gallery app or your file manager app, I presume?
    03-27-2020 12:01 PM