My existing SD card is nearly full. I purchased a 128GB card that I want to replace it with. How do I copy all existing data on the card to the new one? I don't want to loose my photos and other existing data, just replace the card with a larger one.

I'm thinking that I can format the new card with the phone, then remove it from the phone. Copy all data from the old card to a folder on my laptop, then copy from the laptop folder to the new card. Not sure if that will work, or is even the way to do it.

Thoughts?
    Bob James1 likes this.
    03-24-2020 09:08 AM
    Yes, that's the correct way. Make sure to use copy and paste rather than "move"
    03-24-2020 09:12 AM
    Thank you Galactic Zoo. It seemed to work just fine. Surprise no trouble!
    Galactic Zoo and ManiacJoe like this.
    03-24-2020 08:36 PM
    Yes, that's the correct way. Make sure to use copy and paste rather than "move"
    Daft question but why is copying better than moving items?
    03-28-2020 07:02 AM
    Some times it goes wrong and photos get lost in the process. There are many threads on here where this has happened to people.
    Therefore, it's best to copy/paste and then delete the source files if all as copied over.
    PS No question is a daft question
    ManiacJoe and Golfdriver97 like this.
    03-28-2020 07:10 AM
    Thanks for answering so promptly. I figured that was probably the reason hence the daft question but then again I'm far from an expert so there could well have been a reason I hadn't considered.

Whether on the laptop or any of my phones I have always moved stuff all over the place within the file manager and I'm sure nothing has ever gome wrong but when did that guarantee it won't next time around.

I think applies to life in general aswell as devices using android
    03-28-2020 07:24 AM
    But how do I change an SD card from my Android Pie phone? Because under Android Pie not only user files are stored on the card but also system or app files. Android Pie sees the phone storage and the SD card just as one storage and saves data where it sees fit. So I would not know just what to back up before changing cards. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Yesterday 10:33 AM
    But how do I change an SD card from my Android Pie phone? Because under Android Pie not only user files are stored on the card but also system or app files. Android Pie sees the phone storage and the SD card just as one storage and saves data where it sees fit. So I would not know just what to back up before changing cards. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    I'm no expert but if in doubt back the lot up then you know for sure whatever you require you have it safely backed up.
    Yesterday 12:13 PM
    Thanks for your reply, BJ. Trouble is: Under SD card, Android only ominously tells me, that 0,15 GB of system files are stored there. But I have no clue what system files specifically or where I could access them to back them up.
    Yesterday 12:37 PM
    Thanks for your reply, BJ. Trouble is: Under SD card, Android only ominously tells me, that 0,15 GB of system files are stored there. But I have no clue what system files specifically or where I could access them to back them up.
    Can you post a screen shot of this? It's not likely that you have os files on your removable storage.
    Yesterday 04:05 PM
    Can you post a screen shot of this? It's not likely that you have os files on your removable storage.
    Thank you, Methodman, for your answer. Here comes the screenshot.How to Change SD Cards?-screenshot_20200331-073223.jpg

Weird thing: I finally found the option of moving the apps from the card to the device storage. But still the app data is displayed on the card. I even removed the card from the phone and everything was working fine. But app and system data is still displayed on the card. I am at a loss. But then again, look at my user handle ...

Cheers everyone and thanks so much for your input.
    Today 12:41 AM
    What phone is this? Have you done any backups as suggested?
    Today 08:12 AM
    It's a Nokia 2.2, originally with Android Pie, now after the update it runs on Android 10.
    Today 09:32 AM