Kernel settings not sticking

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I know, I'm usually the one answering the questions but I guess now is my turn to ask for once. So I recently put a de-bloated and pre-rooted (w/ Magisk) version of stock Pie on my Galaxy Tab S3 and while it did improve performance quite a bit, trying to do anything serious on this tablet simply leads to throttling issues. The thermals have degraded on this thing over the nearly 3 years I've owned it and it has reached a point where literally only my phone is the only device I have that can handle serious stuff without throttling like crazy. Most kernel settings of any kind on the Tab S3 just will not stick and those that do will also not reapply on boot despite explicitly enabling that. No matter what I do and the system seems to be changing clock speed (and possibly even dynamically changing the ranges) and other settings at will. I tried disabling the Qualcomm thermal engine which literally had no effect. Also, setting SELinux to permissive didn't fix the issue. Is there some way to take full manual control of the settings and not have the system interfere in any way, shape or form? Also, the issue was present on fully custom ROMs when I tried some of those last year, which is very weird.

Also, please do not lecture me on the "oh you will blow your device up", as you are talking to a veteran power user who messed with extreme overclocking and other CPU tweaking quite a bit back in my Android 4.x/5.x/6.x TI-OMAP 4430 glory days, including going to big lengths (milivolt precision Vcore tweaking) to get an extra 7% speed semi-stable boost because I wasn't satisfied with a stable non-overheating +35% overclock. I know what i am doing and i have never fried a device before. To a person like me the behavior my current tablet is exhibiting is an embarrassing joke, especially since I am not trying to overclock it but rather just wanting to have some control to milk as much speed as I can without overclocking. I also have nothing to lose as this tablet is already borderline obsolete given said throttling issues and I am just trying to make it run faster as I cannot exactly dump $650-750 for a new high end tablet any time soon given my financial situation and the obvious other things going on around us.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Here mainly users with issue on stock stuff , I use to mess around with that back in the day , but been out of the game for some time to give any help , usually need find the correct rom that does this automatically or app that requires root which your rooted obviously to set minum and maximum CPU that will stick upon rebooting.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Here mainly users with issue on stock stuff , I use to mess around with that back in the day , but been out of the game for some time to give any help , usually need find the correct rom that does this automatically or app that requires root which your rooted obviously to set minum and maximum CPU that will stick upon rebooting.
It doesn't stick at all even before reboot. Just asked on XDA and am waiting for an answer. Honestly I think there is something weird going on but I will hold my horses until I get help from XDA before coming up with planned obsolescence conspiracy theories.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It doesn't stick at all even before reboot. Just asked on XDA and am waiting for an answer. Honestly I think there is something weird going on but I will hold my horses until I get help from XDA before coming up with planned obsolescence conspiracy theories.
Hahaha definitely those guy's know their stuff there.