Will switching carriers and therefore sim cards cause another factory reset?

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Basically what the title says. I'm running a Samsung Galaxy s7 (g930w8) on one carrier now. It was already carrier unlocked. When I put this Sim in for the first time, it did an unexpected factory reset. Will switching carriers and having a new first Sim insert cause the reset to happen again?

Planning on backing up anyway, but hopefully won't need to restore things at all... I'm going to be making a twrp backup. If it works out I do have to restore, should I do so with or without the "radio" option? I'm imagining the radio part will be backed up for my current service, which would then fight with my new service?

I'm rooted, if that matters at all

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you in Canada? I recall this issue happening only on Canadian variants of a Samsung phone, and that it only happens the first time out of the box that you insert a SIM (but can't be sure it doesn't happen with a subsequent SIM).

EDIT: Here's the support page: www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-d...et-when-i-insert-sim-card-into-my-new-device/. They say it happens only with the first time the SIM is inserted. (I know what you're thinking, and I agree -- what a stupid process!)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Are you in Canada? I recall this issue happening only on Canadian variants of a Samsung phone, and that it only happens the first time out of the box that you insert a SIM (but can't be sure it doesn't happen with a subsequent SIM).

EDIT: Here's the support page: www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-d...et-when-i-insert-sim-card-into-my-new-device/. They say it happens only with the first time the SIM is inserted. (I know what you're thinking, and I agree -- what a stupid process!)
That "W" after 930 indicate Canada, yeah Remember you found that article before .

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Very stupid process... Lol. Luckily when I first got it I hadn't customized much before inserting the Sim.

If I do a twrp backup, and the new Sim does reset it again, if I then restore my backup, will it reinstall my previous carriers radio info?