Hello. I was doing some research on Chrome with my older Android tablet just a little bit ago, and got a notification that Google music wanted to download, and then a second notification that Google play was protecting me from possible malicious software. I have no idea why that happened. I closed Chrome, and looked at my apps to see if anything was suspicious. I never paid attention to Hangouts before, so put it in the trash. I kept looking and found 2 files under music in my file manager. The first is listed as Notifications, and the second as Ringtones and each has the following, /storage/emulated/0/Android/media//com.google.android.talk. when I click on the Notifications it is listed as hangouts_message.ogg, and the Ringtones file is hangouts_incoming_call.ogg. They both appeared to have a phone number underneath. I went ahead and did a full reformat of my tablet. I updated Hangouts per Google's request to access Hangouts and the phone number now shows unknown. Each file plays a short ringtone, no vocals. My main concern is why did I get this, I have never used Hangouts before, why did it go to my files, and did someone just get access to my photos,videos,etc. I did have financial info stored in photos, and that is my big concern. Other than playing the 2 audio clips I clicked on nothing, and currently have downloaded nothing. Any help would surely be appreciated. Thank you.
    03-29-2020 09:21 AM
    Those 2 audio files are standard audio files that come with Hangouts. I actually use those sounds on my phone and tablet. I'm not sure why yours showed a phone number, where did you see this? Can you post a current screenshot of where you saw that (I understand it's not showing it now but I'm curious)?

Of more concern is the "notification" from Google Music while browsing in Chrome. Was it an actual notification in the notification shade or was it a pop-up "ad" situation?
    03-29-2020 11:48 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I see intermittent brief notifications from Google Play Music about something downloading -- I think it's for cached music. You can probably get rid of them by clearing the cache in the GPM app's menu.
    03-29-2020 01:02 PM
    Thank you both for responding. The alert re: Google play music needing to update or download, (I forget exactly) showed up in my notification drop down. The interesting thing is that the 2 music files listed as Hangouts have the date and time almost precisely when to that I received the notification. I have never used Hangouts, and wondering if the individual somehow tried to send me a msg and this prompted the update. The phone number shows up at the bottom when I click on each of the Hangouts to play the audio. I am relatively new to all of this, but even so it seems very odd. I have done a factory reset of the tablet at least 5 times, and it seems that the 2 Hangouts files with the date and phone number only show back up again when I update Hangouts. I can then delete the 2 files, but cannot entirely delete Hangouts. Thank you both for your help!
    03-30-2020 11:31 AM
    If you never use Hangouts, you should be able to Disable it in Settings>Apps. But as hallux mentioned, those ogg files are standard notification sound files for Hangouts. I'm not sure why it would show up in a download notification, but I wouldn't be worried about the files themselves.
    03-30-2020 05:09 PM