Should I upgrade my phone to Android 8.0 (Oreo)?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, that comes with a 3GB RAM and 16GB ROM. I was reading about it that it is upgradable to Android 8.1 at Wikipedia.
So, when I bought it, I upgraded it to exactly to 7.0 from 6.0.1. First the system storage was 6GB, after upgrading it became 5GB, with a borader features. I am much of a storage space issues guy. I managed to clean some storage, my current storage is 2.1GB. Should I upgrade? Well, I googled it. I did not get a reliable and an accurate answer. So, my question is if I upgrade me phone to Android 8.0 will I have better storage and a not so slow and buggy phone? Also how much storage does Android 8.0 take?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I probably wouldn't. I've had issues with upgrading, from simple removal of wanted features, to a full factory reset and reformatting of the SD card. In very few cases did I get any additional functionality out of it to make it worthwhile. You'll lose out on security updates, but Android is already very secure and you have little to worry about unless you're doing nefarious things to begin with. App compatibility shouldn't be an issue either because older OS versions are still supported for a long time. I would also expect your storage space to be reduced, as updates usually take up more space overall.

So unless you have a pressing /specific reason to update, I would say don't worry about it.

PlayerANF

Apr 5, 2020
Visit site
No, I don't have an emergency. It's just that
1. The phone keeps asking me to upgrade
2. Many sites say that it is good for your phone. With a very little chance of data loss.
I'm fine with OS 7, it has all the things that I need. So I think that I should not upgrade yet. I think it's settled. TYSM for your time to all of you :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, I don't have an emergency. It's just that
1. The phone keeps asking me to upgrade
2. Many sites say that it is good for your phone. With a very little chance of data loss.
I'm fine with OS 7, it has all the things that I need. So I think that I should not upgrade yet. I think it's settled. TYSM for your time to all of you :)
Welcome to AC !