notifications dont clear android vs ios

rtmac97

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
When I am working on my PC , and I get a notification on my iphone for say an email(gmail app) or a tweet, and I read whatever it is ON MY PC, the iphone almost immediately automatically clears the notification. The android phone on the other hand doesn't seem to ever clear the notification, meaning I have to manually clear that notification . I have tried a couple different androids with the same results. Reinstalled the apps , even reset the phone but nothing seems to work. Is this normal for android ? I love androids and would love to get rid of my iphone , but this is one nagging thing that bothers me. Currently using Samsung S7 vs Iphone8 thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think it depends on the app and if the developer paid attention to this. I'd have to look more closely, but I'm pretty sure that for Gmail, if I read a new email on the Gmail web interface on a computer, that new mail notification will disappear on my Pixel 3 XL. It might take a minute or so to sync sometimes, but it'll happen. But there are other apps (like MeWe, a relatively new social network similar to the old Google+) where notifications don't sync properly, and I have to clear them on each device.

rtmac97

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the newbie repeat posts but I dont see anywhere to delete them. I have waited hours to see what happens and they dont disappear on the android. They clear immediately on the iphone. ... The 2 apps I notice most are Twitter and Gmail. I am trying switching to outlook on all 3 devices to see what happens for gmail. I tried using the twitter app also on the pc , but the android just will not clear.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On your S7, make sure Gmail is not set to be "battery optimized," and turn off any power-saving modes. It's possible that the Gmail app is being killed in the background or being put to sleep by the system, and therefore won't refresh properly in order to eliminate the notification.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the newbie repeat posts but I dont see anywhere to delete them. I have waited hours to see what happens and they dont disappear on the android. They clear immediately on the iphone. ... The 2 apps I notice most are Twitter and Gmail. I am trying switching to outlook on all 3 devices to see what happens for gmail. I tried using the twitter app also on the pc , but the android just will not clear.
That's where iPhone's does this seamlessly from one device,pc,tablet,phone ..you have a older android that didn't get better updates that new ones have to handle that , but this where Android still needs improvements.

rtmac97

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Battery optimization is disabled. I want to get a new android . That's why I am checking this out first. I would be very disappointed if I had the same problem with a new one . I had a Pixel 1 for awhile and seemed to have issues with notifications on that too. I have switched to outlook on all 3 devices for my gmail and it seems to have helped that. Trying different Twitter apps now but no luck yet . Thanks for your help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just checked the new mail notifications for Gmail on my Pixel 3 XL, and can confirm that reading the email on my Chromebook definitely got rid of the notification on my phone. I don't use Twitter, though, so can't comment on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge