Hi, I hope someone can help me. I moved 3GB of photos from my internal storage to an SD memory card, which appears to be corrupt.

After trying to recover and repair data on the SD card, my next step is to try recovering the old photos from the internal storage.

I have a Huawei P20 lite with Android 9 and EMUI 9.1, so in order to root, I need to unlock the bootloader, which will wipe the phone data (I have backed up my phone since the photo loss).

With the phone rooted, will I still have a chance of recovering some photos, even after they were moved off the memory and the wipe from unlocking the bootloader?

Many thanks for any suggestions - I've already accepted I've probably lost them!
    04-15-2020 09:52 AM
    Unlocking bootloader wipes the phone , so unless you made back ups or had in the cloud services then no you won't get them back .

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    04-15-2020 09:55 AM
    OK, thanks - I'm all registered now!

The SD card is in a pretty bad way and I've tried endless recovery softwares. The only way I can see of recovering deleted photos from the internal memory is via a root, so if anyone knows a way of rooting without having to unlock the bootloader, that would help a lot.

I tried Kingo root but it keeps stopping at 32%, saying 'Checking ROOT status'?

Thanks, again
    mustang7757 likes this.
    04-15-2020 10:19 AM
    I would be very wary of those automatic rooting apps, as they are known to install malware that is almost impossible to remove.

Unfortunately, any root I've ever seen involves wiping phone data. Android is also encrypted by default, so wiping the data also deletes the encryption key and renders any chance of data recovery more or less impossible.
    04-15-2020 10:33 AM
    Hi, thanks for the warning - I was prioritising getting the photos back but it looks like it's as I feared and I should just learn from it. It gave me hope as all of the recovery software I tried said that the phone needed to be rooted before recovery - but if it's all wiped by the root I'm not sure how it will then try and recover my internal storage!

I'll check back here for any suggestions but otherwise get back to enjoying the lockdown!
    04-15-2020 10:44 AM
    OK, thanks - I'm all registered now!

The SD card is in a pretty bad way and I've tried endless recovery softwares. The only way I can see of recovering deleted photos from the internal memory is via a root, so if anyone knows a way of rooting without having to unlock the bootloader, that would help a lot.

I tried Kingo root but it keeps stopping at 32%, saying 'Checking ROOT status'?

Thanks, again
    Hi, welcome!
    like mentioned by mooncat kingroot is recommended to avoid . I'm not sure you have luck with recovery tools but at this point your rooted so won't hurt to check .
    04-15-2020 11:04 AM
    Hi, welcome!
    like mentioned by mooncat kingroot is recommended to avoid . I'm not sure you have luck with recovery tools but at this point your rooted so won't hurt to check .
    To be fair, Kingroot and Kingoroot (what Clear Action installed) are two separate apps that do the same thing. From what I've read at XDA, any unwanted "extras" Kingo installs are easier to remove than what Kingroot installs. I still wouldn't recommend either, but at least Kingo is not as bad as it could've been.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    04-15-2020 11:56 AM
    To be fair, Kingroot and Kingoroot (what Clear Action installed) are two separate apps that do the same thing. From what I've read at XDA, any unwanted "extras" Kingo installs are easier to remove than what Kingroot installs. I still wouldn't recommend either, but at least Kingo is not as bad as it could've been.
    I wasn't aware there 2 out their slightly different name .. haha
    Could find though .
    04-15-2020 12:01 PM