Managing "multiple" (second, third, etc) notifications from a single app/chat/group?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hey Android Central,

I'm trying to manage my phone usage and general wellness connected to it. The biggest issue I have with my relationship between my phone and I is, when I receive a bunch of notifications at once, it stresses me out if I don't check it. I want to let notifications happen "as they come in," so I can know as soon as someone messages me in a chat or a group. But, I really don't need a notification every
time
someone
sends
a
after I've gotten a notification from the first new message in a group or chat.

This is the main source of this frustration/anxiety, so I'm trying to find something that can look at the sources of notifications and intelligently block notifications from the app (or, at least the vibrate/sound component)/chat/group chat after the first one.

This happens mostly with Facebook Messenger and Line, and both of these apps categorize messages by their source (another user or a group chat), so in an ideal world if Tom messages me once, I'll see Tom's message and my phone vibrates. If Tom messages me three times, I could still see his three messages, but my phone would still have only vibrated once.

Same would go for group chats, ideally. One work-related group chat is constantly full of people responding to tasks, a lot of them not having read the instructions, and then tons of people respond to them, and there's even people (pointlessly, ugh) mocking them for not having read the instructions. I can't turn off notifications because this is work related and I'd miss opportunities if I did, but being able to stop notifications after the first one would make things a lot less stressful/annoying for me.

scapegoatwax

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
Hey Kirsten,

This is the original poster.

methodman89's response was not helpful, as (on my OnePuls 5T), there is no section called "Messages" under Settings > Apps & Notifications (no "Applications"). Working under the assumption they were suggesting I look at the settings under Messenger (Facebook's Messenger app) and none of the settings relate to my question or the solution I was asking for. Same goes for Line. I am able to turn off notifications, but that's not what I want to do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm