Can a misbehaving appear on top app be overridden?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Is there a way to override an app that tries to pop up over other apps and grab exclusive control so you can't switch apps without responding? Not just turning off appear over other apps, but being able to switch tasks despite its efforts to dominate. The Uber Driver app does this by forcing you to allow appear on top, and it is very annoying. I'd like to be able to put them in their place: an app running within Android, which must yield to the OS when the user presses system buttons.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Since it sounds like you may have already checked or adjusted the ability of the app to appear on top of other apps, you may want to check and see if it appears as an administrative app as well. Since we don't know what device you have we can't really tell you where to look for this on your device. I was able to find it on my Samsung by typing "admin" in the search bar of my settings.

To reply to this thread you must create an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

In your reply please include what device you have an which version of Android you're running.

ferror

Apr 28, 2020
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy A20 running Android 9. I searched the settings menu for admin, as you described, and found the Special Access menu. I looked under Device admin apps, and did not find Uber Driver in there.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If you are not finding this listed as an Admin app, and we're assuming that you turned off "allow this app to appear over other apps", I'm going to have to say this is an app issue. It was just designed this way. I doubt there would be a setting in the app that would prevent this, mostly because I can't think of how it would be worded, I mean what would it say "allow me to close the app without acknowledging the pop-up???", but checking the app settings would be my next step. If this is a notification you probably have a range of notifications that you can enable and disable in the notification permissions of the app page. With Samsung that should be something like Settings>Apps>Uber>Notifications. There you can see all of the categories the app developer has given you control over and perhaps you can pick and choose which notifications you want to receive and cut down on the occurrences of the ones you don't, thus at least limiting the annoyance. That would be step 2. Step 3 would be contacting the app developer and trying to leave a recommendation. Recommendations are like wishing stones, some times you get lucky but usually it just makes you feel better.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Oh wow , I thought taxi be thing of the past once this uber and lyft came about.

Uber has some major lawsuits and as best I can tell is violating the RICO act. I've expected them to go bankrupt for 2 years...
Won't invest a nickle with them or drive.
I had a courier service 20 years ago for same day packages, my drivers were getting similar pay rates and a lot less hassles. After vehicle depreciation, maintenance and fuel, Uber is a raw deal for the drivers.
Plus Uber can and will fire you for customer complaints.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Uber has some major lawsuits and as best I can tell is violating the RICO act. I've expected them to go bankrupt for 2 years...
Won't invest a nickle with them or drive.
I had a courier service 20 years ago for same day packages, my drivers were getting similar pay rates and a lot less hassles. After vehicle depreciation, maintenance and fuel, Uber is a raw deal for the drivers.
Plus Uber can and will fire you for customer complaints.
Gotcha

ferror

Apr 28, 2020
Visit site
Yes, this actually works quite well for a single use. Next time the app is loaded, it requires appear on top again. Too bad there is no way to fake the reporting of this setting to the app.

ferror

Apr 28, 2020
Visit site
I occasionally use Uber for delivering UberEats. When I do this, I am usually also running other delivery apps. Hence, why I hate apps that try to bully you while I'm busy in another app.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I occasionally use Uber for delivering UberEats. When I do this, I am usually also running other delivery apps. Hence, why I hate apps that try to bully you while I'm busy in another app.

Being a bully is one of the core principles of Uber :(
No likely, #10, get while the gettings good... you been warned!

That said...
Try modifying the apps notifications and permissions settings.
Ask uber's tech support to clean up their trash.
If your using a Samsung you can use PD MDM to temporarily disable the app. You will lose no app data or settings.
Of course the uber will not be running at all then until you uncheck the box in Package Disabler. You can't set a shortcut for that one setting although you can leave the window open in the background for fast access.

Maybe Android 10 will give you more options to tame it.

ferror

Apr 28, 2020
Visit site
Maybe Android 10 will give you more options to tame it.

Yes! The app permissions belong to the users, not the developers, and we should not be coerced into granting permissions we don't want to give, unless it actually prevents core functionality. Hopefully, Android 10 does, in fact, provide more control of these beastly apps.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1