I've been admiring Honeycomb tablets for a while now, and having only an old XP Desktop, I wanted to buy one. Of course, my attention went to the best spec'd, lowest priced Honeycomb tablet, the Transformer, which I was set on getting. However, after studying the Prime and scooping my jaw off the floor, I need to make a decision. Since I work mowing lawns, this decision represents a 6-months of salary. So, Androidcentral, I have $500 that I want to spend, and I'm wondering if I should get the Transformer 1 with the dock or just the Prime tablet.

Thanks
    11-13-2011 05:37 PM
    How about taking $250 to get the original transfomer from Best Buy on Black Friday along with another $100 for the on sale keyboard dock instead of paying the $500 for just the prime tablet?

I am in the same boat as you, really want the new one, but a good deal on the old one is hard to pass up. I feel like I would need to get the dock for sure, so the new one is going to be much more expensive. Just have to determine if those bumped up specs are worth it. Since the original will get ICS also, not sure how much the performance will justify the big price increase.
    11-13-2011 07:34 PM
    I'd say get the OG. ICS is optimized for dualcore processors, which the OG is, and not the prime. It will be some time before Google optimizes for the quadcore processors. I doubt that next year, the next version of Android will support quadcore. ICS will help to give a quadcore use of two cores that will function at maximum efficiency (so to speak) .

However, the Prime is future proof, IMO. It will have the latest tech hardware and software wise and will most likely be supported with updates, if Asus plans to stay ahead with customer service.

It depends on how much u can afford, and what you care about. Either way you'll be happy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    11-13-2011 07:44 PM
    I think once you optimize for multi-core there is not much difference between 2-core and 4-core, so that is not a factor.

On the one hand the OG costs less.
    On the other hand the Prime has NEON instructions and a better H.264 hardware playback unit. It also has a better GPU for 3D gaming.

So in other words if you will be using it to play back video, especially bigger resolutions like 1080p, I would recommend going for the Prime for its better video capabilities. If you would only be using it for web browsing etc. the OG is still great for that, you can get it and save money, especially if you can elbow out the others in the crowd for a Black Friday price. For gaming it's tough, you would have to make a decision about whether the better graphics promised by Tegra 3 are worth the extra $$$.
    11-13-2011 07:50 PM
    How about taking $250 to get the original transfomer from Best Buy on Black Friday along with another $100 for the on sale keyboard dock instead of paying the $500 for just the prime tablet? .
    So will this only be available in the store or online after midnight on Black Friday. I too am in the same boat. I don't need to have the power of the Prime and would be happy with the original. Here's to hoping this happens as you mention.
    11-13-2011 10:54 PM
    I think they are using that deal as a "doorbuster" which means it will probably only be good in store. I am not sure though and you should keep your eye out. Here are some details about the deal.

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Hits $250 on Black Friday at Best Buy | PCWorld
    11-14-2011 07:03 PM
    I had the OG with the dock and the other day it refused to turn on. The backlight would come on but no image. Looks like the screen cable came unplugged. I returned it and got store credit at best buy surprisingly. I think I'm going to hold out and but the new one instead. The quad core CPU will be pretty future proof imho and I'm not looking to buy one of these every year.
    11-14-2011 09:06 PM
    I think they are using that deal as a "doorbuster" which means it will probably only be good in store. I am not sure though and you should keep your eye out. Here are some details about the deal.

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Hits $250 on Black Friday at Best Buy | PCWorld
    Thanks for the link. I will keep my eyes open.
    11-14-2011 11:18 PM
    Since I'm going to be using the TP as a tablet 75% of the time, I would go the extra $100 and go with the thinner and lighter TP over the OG model. Especially when that extra money also nets you faster hardware and better camera. I assume it will get ICS first as well.

If you can get the $250 special, it may be worth it to use until next year's models come around.
    11-17-2011 01:45 PM
    I thought about it as well and I would love to get the OG model but no way am I going to those lines for that. People camping out and stores are going to be crazy. I might try but highly doubt I'll get one.
    I have no need for all the power of the Prime. I'm mainly going to use it for movies, music, emails and web. And my DroidX handles music/web at the same time perfectly so a tablet with more power will have no problems with that.
    11-19-2011 09:12 AM
    I know this thing is coming out in Dec., but anyone have an idea if it is going to be early Dec., or later Dec.?
    11-21-2011 07:59 AM
    if you can wait it out a few months, prices for both prime and OG will fall even lower. if you can wait. I personally do not have such resolve/self control and ordered my TP this morning...
    11-22-2011 04:10 PM
    I know this thing is coming out in Dec., but anyone have an idea if it is going to be early Dec., or later Dec.?
    one pre-order sit was saying december 5th... one store in canada is saying december 16th... i hope it is the former.
    11-22-2011 04:12 PM
    one pre-order sit was saying december 5th... one store in canada is saying december 16th... i hope it is the former.
    I pre-ordered on Amazon last night. The Prime shows as a separate order as the keyboard dock, and BOTH show not available to ship until AFTER December 25th. I sure hope that is just placeholder info, and not accurate. Otherwise, I'm going to feel like Asus is just getting our Christmas money and screwing us over.
    11-23-2011 02:06 PM
    I just bought an OG transformer from gamestop for $299. No need for what I do to pay an extra 100-200 dollars just for the latest and greatest. ICS is optimized for dual core tablets and the transformer will get ICS and asus has been pretty good with updates.
    11-23-2011 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD