Am I being Stupid?

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought I had read in a couple of reviews that the Primes Screen was comparable to the Samsung Tablets. I received mine three days ago. Last night we went out and bought my wife the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 tablet. I can tell you that there is a world of difference in how vibrant and sharp the colors are.
I have a Samsung Galaxy epic touch phone and the screens are very comparable.
So now I am thinking of selling my Prime and buying the 10.1 Galaxy Tablet. I understand that I loose the Tegra three chip but gaming isn't that important. I love HD screens, TV's, Monitors etc.
I had the Acer A500 it was sluggish. Although the galaxy Tablet has the same chip, hers is not sluggish at all.
So is there anything else that i would be giving up? I could really use some thought out advice.
Thanks,
Dean

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I consider the Prime's screen to be significantly better than the screen on my wife's GT 10.1. Colors are more accurate, contrast is better, whites are far less cold (i.e., less blue), and brightness is much, much higher. The Prime is also usable in direct sunlight in IPS+ mode, where the GT 10.1 is not.

I think if someone likes really over-saturated colors then they'll prefer the Samsung screens, but if someone likes more natural colors then the Prime comes out on top. Same thing if the tablet is ever going to be used outdoors.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
What you're noticing is Samsung's infamous "extremely saturated colors" screen on all their devices. It makes a lot of customers happy because they think it looks great, while others feel the colors are completely unnatural and mess up a lot of their photos, etc. Of course, the Prime wasn't made by Samsung, it was made by ASUS who doesn't use that screen tech, so there's an obvious difference between the two. If you end up preferring the saturated colors, spring for the Galaxy tab, but if you're more into natural, true color, go for the prime.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I had the Samsung Galaxy Tab and while the screen on that is fantastic, I would definitely put the Prime's screen a notch higher. The pixel density is definitely going to be better on the GT 8.9. Maybe that's what you're noticing.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
My wife just pointed out that my 67 inch TV, is a Samsung, my Blue Ray is a Samsung and my Phone is a Samsung. She said maybe my brain has been reprogrammed.
What I am afraid of is as we see more Tegra 3 apps come out and I can't get it because I have the GT, I will wish that I had kept the Prime.
I am waiting on my keyboard and I am also hoping that will be a selling point for keeping it.

I do have one last question, I have two small light leaks in the bottom right hand corner, would that effect the screen colors at all? Since I know no one else here that owns a Prime, I can't compare.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I do have one last question, I have two small light leaks in the bottom right hand corner, would that effect the screen colors at all? Since I know no one else here that owns a Prime, I can't compare.

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Like everyone else has stated, Samsung uses over saturated colors on their screens. Some like this, and some do not. I personally do not like seeing over saturated colors on big screens, but don't mind it on small screens. For example my Blu-Ray player (PS3) at home running on my 46" Sony has all natural colors and very few post-image adjustments like sharpness, etc. When watching movies I like watching them how the director intended me to see them.

But seeing as how Spartacus is my primary series right now, I did add a warm color hue to the picture to enhance the jacked-ness effect of the actors :).