Returning the prime

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
well guys I'm returning my tablet tomorrow back to the store.
I was testing this tablet for 3 days with many different usage scenarious and I came to the conclusion that this device is simply not ready even as a simple mobile internet companion. My main problem with this thing is horrible lagginess. The Prime fails in four major aspects: flash video playback is horribly laggy and difficult to control rewind/forward etc. Overall browser performance while surfing the net is laggy and very slow probably because of the malfunctioning WiFi module and/or poor browser optimisation. While surfing and switching between tabs the whole tablet lags horribly so lets say if i need to take a look at the email, and then switch back to the browser I have to wait a few seconds untill the transition happens and sometimes the browser will simply FC. And last but definitely not least is the keyboard lag... I cant type without missing half of the word's letters. and Yes I've tried a few keyboards. they all lag on this thing. I've reset the tab twice but its still lags defeating the purpose of using the mobile device to ease and speed up productivity. Idk if ICS will fix all these issues it probably will but I'm not gonna wait for it. and as I'm reading all other threads here as people having lots of issues like lines on the screen, burned in images and what not, hardware related problems etc. etc. I dont have those issues (well except for the loose piece rolling inside lol) but I'll wait a few more months before android tablets mature enough that I'll be able to actually use them just like I use my GSII (awesome device btw) untill then I'll go back to my trusted ipad 2. I cancelled my case from Amazon as well....

matthewjoseph255

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
you might of gotten a dud my galaxy tab runs so much better than my boring ipad did.. I will see for myself on monday how the prime works i am going keep with the prime regardless it is perfect for school

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
well guys I'm returning my tablet tomorrow back to the store.
I was testing this tablet for 3 days with many different usage scenarious and I came to the conclusion that this device is simply not ready even as a simple mobile internet companion. My main problem with this thing is horrible lagginess. The Prime fails in four major aspects: flash video playback is horribly laggy and difficult to control rewind/forward etc. Overall browser performance while surfing the net is laggy and very slow probably because of the malfunctioning WiFi module and/or poor browser optimisation. While surfing and switching between tabs the whole tablet lags horribly so lets say if i need to take a look at the email, and then switch back to the browser I have to wait a few seconds untill the transition happens and sometimes the browser will simply FC. And last but definitely not least is the keyboard lag... I cant type without missing half of the word's letters. and Yes I've tried a few keyboards. they all lag on this thing. I've reset the tab twice but its still lags defeating the purpose of using the mobile device to ease and speed up productivity. Idk if ICS will fix all these issues it probably will but I'm not gonna wait for it. and as I'm reading all other threads here as people having lots of issues like lines on the screen, burned in images and what not, hardware related problems etc. etc. I dont have those issues (well except for the loose piece rolling inside lol) but I'll wait a few more months before android tablets mature enough that I'll be able to actually use them just like I use my GSII (awesome device btw) untill then I'll go back to my trusted ipad 2. I cancelled my case from Amazon as well....

My experience has been much different. I am in love with my Prime. Wouldn't give it up for anything. Think yours was a lemon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
you might of gotten a dud my galaxy tab runs so much better than my boring ipad did.. I will see for myself on monday how the prime works i am going keep with the prime regardless it is perfect for school

I was actually looking at the galaxy tab on amazon today.. its about $160 cheaper than the prime... I'm gonna play with it at the bb store tomorrow and see how well it performs... I doubt though if I'll buy it but just to compare...

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
That's a shame, I was looking forward to having you around these parts of AC. ='( Mine doesn't lag as badly as you say yours does, though...for example, I installed Thumb Keyboard from the market, and there's absolutely ZERO lag on the keyboard now. Shows it was definitely just the keyboard, (on my unit, at least), and not the software of Honeycomb. I wanted Swiftkey because I use it on my phone and I've loved it for a long time now, but all the review for the tablet version said it doesn't work in Polaris on the Prime (quite specific, huh, and specifically what I want it for in class! Boooo!) so I went with thumb keyboard, but I love it now. As for the browser, I use the Dolphin one, and I don't experience lag except, you know, click a link takes a few seconds before it goes anywhere because the wifi kind of sucks, I believe. Otherwise, I use Go Launcher with a live background (koi fish from kittehface), and I don't experience lag on the homescreens or app launcher, either...so I wish yours didn't have lag like it sounds - you might like the device way more. Hope your Galaxy Tab is a better fit for you! I doubt that would lag - it's such a brand name, and so popular, you know? Samsung can't let it lag lol.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
That's a shame, I was looking forward to having you around these parts of AC. ='( Mine doesn't lag as badly as you say yours does, though...for example, I installed Thumb Keyboard from the market, and there's absolutely ZERO lag on the keyboard now. Shows it was definitely just the keyboard, (on my unit, at least), and not the software of Honeycomb. I wanted Swiftkey because I use it on my phone and I've loved it for a long time now, but all the review for the tablet version said it doesn't work in Polaris on the Prime (quite specific, huh, and specifically what I want it for in class! Boooo!) so I went with thumb keyboard, but I love it now. As for the browser, I use the Dolphin one, and I don't experience lag except, you know, click a link takes a few seconds before it goes anywhere because the wifi kind of sucks, I believe. Otherwise, I use Go Launcher with a live background (koi fish from kittehface), and I don't experience lag on the homescreens or app launcher, either...so I wish yours didn't have lag like it sounds - you might like the device way more. Hope your Galaxy Tab is a better fit for you! I doubt that would lag - it's such a brand name, and so popular, you know? Samsung can't let it lag lol.

thanks man :) I'm not gonna get any tablets for now. like I said I'll be using my ipad (well my wife mostly..) and see what new gizmos this year will bring so maybe I'll pick something up later. After all I'm getting back my $550 which is a good thing in itself lol :) actually I really love my Galaxy S II Skyrocket and I'm using it all the time I wish the Prime was as smooth as this phone. :) its a shame so many people having problems with it.

robbp213

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I am having horrible Youtube video playing issues, endless buffering. Also half my screen has a light bleed problem. I have been waiting for this device for months and after several delays this is what I got. Any advice welcome!!!

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I am having horrible Youtube video playing issues, endless buffering. Also half my screen has a light bleed problem. I have been waiting for this device for months and after several delays this is what I got. Any advice welcome!!!

Are those the only two issues, or are there more - big or small. If those are the only two, it's tough but it depends on how much you think you'll use Youtube, and how much lightbleed annoys you.

Advice? Return that sh*t and pick up another one! :-D Several people have done this and their 2nd unit was much better in terms of whichever problem they were having with their 1st.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Are those the only two issues, or are there more - big or small. If those are the only two, it's tough but it depends on how much you think you'll use Youtube, and how much lightbleed annoys you.

Advice? Return that sh*t and pick up another one! :-D Several people have done this and their 2nd unit was much better in terms of whichever problem they were having with their 1st.

Me to a T :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

DesertVelo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I returned my tablet.
I had two Primes - one from Best Buy and the other from Amazon. Both experienced the GPS issues (do not know if Asus will ever address the issues other than removing the specification) and one had the wifi instability. Strange though, the earlier serial number was more wifi stable... Either case, the Best Buy unit was returned. I still have some time on the return window so I will continue to evaluate my options.

evetskirk

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
asus just announced new prime in quarter 2. New back & better screen. Wow, what a way to fix issues and screw everyone that has put up with the wait for the one we are still waiting on. What a joke. The whole problem with android is their marketing and way too many players. Remember beta vs vhs? That's why apple is the most popular & profitable & will always have the greater mkt. share. I am not an apple fan either. I want android, but no manufacturer has their act together. You can't chase someone and win the race, you have to be a leader and let everyone chase you?

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

Youtube is the suck. I continuously buffer even on my desktop. The light bleed though is different. I'd be returning it for a new one.

Reactions: doomtuba

illmatic13

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
asus just announced new prime in quarter 2. New back & better screen. Wow, what a way to fix issues and screw everyone that has put up with the wait for the one we are still waiting on. What a joke. The whole problem with android is their marketing and way too many players. Remember beta vs vhs? That's why apple is the most popular & profitable & will always have the greater mkt. share. I am not an apple fan either. I want android, but no manufacturer has their act together. You can't chase someone and win the race, you have to be a leader and let everyone chase you?

Yeah I just found about about that right after getting home from returning my Prime at Gamestop... how ironic. If it really does come out with less bugs and design flaws than the first Prime than I'll consider getting it, if not I'll just have to get the iPad 3 when it comes out. Can't stand the lack of app support for tablets on Android compared to iOS. As for getting ICS on the tablet, I already have it on my Galaxy Nexus so no loss there

ruwwuiiidd

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I returned mine to BestBuy today. Went to a different store and was lucky enough to find a very friendly and helpful customer service person who gave me no hassle. I'm going to let her manager know.
It might have been ok as a piece of hardware, but the sinking feeling was getting worse. I don't want 'ok' for $500.
I hope all of you who keep yours remain thrilled with them. I will give Asus a few months and see what happens, maybe buy another one later.

[Earlier post: I really wanted it to be great, but can't get past the fact that a 500 dollar tablet has design flaw affecting WiFi. It's a WiFi-only tablet, so that's a deal-breaker for me. And now they announce they have another tablet coming out with that problem fixed (plastic on back)? Nice gesture from Asus.
Tried to return it to BestBuy, but they wouldn't take it, since "they don't stock the Prime." I'll have to return it by mail, and it says on the packing slip "no refunds, only store credit." I checked before buying it if I'd be able to return for refund and was told yes. So now credit card company is going to dispute it for me. That will take longer than the extended holiday return period allows, so I think I'm either stuck with something not so useful, or I let BB owe me 500.....]

Last edited:

HaveADay

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted it to be great, but can't get past the fact that a 500 dollar tablet has design flaw affecting WiFi. It's a WiFi-only tablet, so that's a deal-breaker for me. And now they announce they have another tablet coming out with that problem fixed (plastic on back)? Nice gesture from Asus.
Tried to return it to BestBuy, but they wouldn't take it, since "they don't stock the Prime." I'll have to return it by mail, and it says on the packing slip "no refunds, only store credit." I checked before buying it if I'd be able to return for refund and was told yes. So now credit card company is going to dispute it for me. That will take longer than the extended holiday return period allows, so I think I'm either stuck with something not so useful, or I let BB owe me 500.....

Sounds like you're getting the run around from bestbuy. I bought mine from bestbuy.com and had no problems returning it in store. I also didn't see anything on the receipt indicating I couldn't return it.

Ben

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I got it yesterday and returned it today... and I REALLY did not want to but I had no choice. :-(

Immediately I was logged into my Google account and updating applications, although it took forever and was really slow. I just figured it was because it was getting the firmware and updating my apps, so I just relaxed in crazy anticipation.

Randomly my tablet rebooted, firmware wasn't finished downloading... I just brushed it off initially.

Came back up and after it finished the ICS firmware update... I immediately let it do it's thing.

By the way, I was impressed at how snappy it was but often it would freeze up on me and then sometimes reboot. I figured, lets just update to ICS and we'll try it afterwards.

After it updated to ICS and looked AMAZING... I was really excited. Initially the wireless was stuck in 'turning on' and I couldn't turn it off. I'd turn on airplane mode and back off and tap on wifi but it just sat at 'turning on'. I then did a complete reset of the unit and logged back into my Google account.

This time it didn't automatically install my applications at all, but whatever, I can deal with that easy enough. The wireless finally turned on successfully, on and off worked fine.

I was starting to really love how snappy ICS was on this tablet and the beautiful screen.

I went into a few apps and had it freeze up every 5-10 minutes in the middle of doing something and then it'd reboot.

I performed a few more factory resets and ended up with the same results.

I was extremely sad because if this unit wasn't a lemon... I would've kept this unit for sure.

I called Asus and they said they could RMA the machine and repair it for me and send it back to me with whatever was fixed and the total cost of it. I was a little urked personally because this unit is BRAND new and nothing was wrong with the unit, so why would I be charged to get it fixed? Why wouldn't it just be replaced?

I scrapped that idea immediately and decided to take it to the local Best Buy here and they asked if I wanted to get a different one. I knew if he looked it up, he either wouldn't find it and no way would they have one to replace it with since no stores has it. He then told me that he couldn't find it in the computer system and since it's online only, he couldn't tell me anything on the replacement for it or how long it would take.

I had him place the refund on my credit card and then left.

I REALLY wanted to love this tablet and keep it and I think personally that I just got a lemon, but it was extremely disappointing because I know the quantities available right now are so limited... so I guess I'll just be waiting until it is available in stores so I can go and purchase another one and HOPE that I dont have the same luck.

Also the kicker... I put in a 16GB memory card, it would read it but it wouldn't eject. They tried to get it out at Best Buy and it just went in further. Luckily I have a vast supply of memory cards from old cell phones, just wish I would've put in a 4GB card I had versus a 16GB card.

I'm not here to bash this tablet at all... just my experience and I WILL be purchasing this tablet or another ICS capable tablet once they're available in the store.

I hope no one else has run into this experience... just a little bit of a punch to the stomach given the fact that you can't just easily get a replacement unit right now.

gzalo07

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Bought my Prime on Dec. 23 from BB, Got it on Jan 5. Learned of the issues it had. Test drove it for about a a week and a half, returned it today. I gradually started having issues. After the ICS upgrade I was getting random reboots. On top of the design flaw causing the wifi and gps to not work at 100%, i couldn't keep it. The prime is a great tablet but to invest money into something and to not have it fuction properly is a problem. I feel like i was buying a product knowing it was broken. Especially since it seems they have addressed the issues by putting out a new tf700 series berfore the the tf201 has even hit the shelves.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad