Image burned itself into my screen!

D4RkNIKON

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I was playing N64oid for an extended period of time and the emulator has menu buttons that are displayed in the top right corner of the screen. Since my screen was on for about two hours while I played and the menu buttons stayed there the whole time, they are now burned into the top right of my Transformer Prime screen. It isn't all that noticeable but when I launched another application I still saw their outlines in the corner. I waited an hour with the screen off to see if they would fade away but they haven't.

Hopefully this isn't a huge deal and I also hope it will fade away.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have an Andromeda galaxy image from WISE images website set on my display as a wallpaper its mostly blue and black and I noticed that when I switch from the home screen to lets say the browser or actually any other application the image of the galaxy stays for about a second or two over that apllication its sorta like if you look at the bright light and then close your eyes you still see it or a while... That was odd but didnt really bother me until i read your post. now I'm really worried idk if I should return it...

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
All is well. There are free apps that fix dead and bjrned in pixels. I downloaded one ran it for 15 minutes and its good as new. It is rather disappointing that this screen asus brags about allows for this to even happen though

that's a relieve to hear that. people been having too many problems with this device I'd hate to return it... thanks for confirming that man.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to remember is that it take weeks to actually "burn in" an image into the glass. The IPS screen itself can be effected by excess brightness if pixels stay lit for long periods without changing to another color. The effected pixel can sort of "remember" and cause a color bias to happen. This can happen in a matter of hours. The app to fix this rotates the colors through the pixels to wipe this "memory" effect.

anon(633794)

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem after using the tablet for a couple hours last night. The bottom status bar (clock, notifications, etc) is now ghosting there and visible when I rotate the screen. It is really especially visible when viewing a big block of gray or green.

What is the specific app that fixes it? I am concerned that it is just going to get worse, if it happened after only a couple hours of use. Granted that's longer than I'll normally use it, but I really was surprised at how fast it occurred.

- Jim

anon(633794)

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My ghosting occurs where the clock/notification/button bar appears on the bottom of the display.

I've tried several different screen-cleaning apps and all (except 1) suffer from the same problem - they set the orientation to portrait and don't go true 100% full screen. In other words, they affect everything EXCEPT the area where I need to fix.

One app (ScreenHelper) might work because it allows you to rotate the screen. That way, I can turn the pad upside down and let it go to work. Unfortunately though, it seems like it takes a while to fix, and I am concerned that I am going to burn the dock into the opposite side of the screen while trying to fix the original problem.

- Jim

anon(633794)

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Update - ScreenHelper didn't really seem to help much in my case. And it does make other parts of the screen vulnerable to the same problem (since I have to rotate the screen to allow the app to operate on the affected portion).

I tried with the normal "fix" mode, which rotates through various gray patterns. I also tried with pure white for a while, yellow, red, blue, and green. Nothing seemed to help.

The green screen helps reveal that the ghosting (in my case) is mostly visible in the green.

All this has me nervous that the IPS screen is unusually vulnerable to burn-in. Could it be a faulty unit? Seems like it is probably a flaw in the basic technology, so I doubt a replacement would be any different.

I suspect more people will notice this as units get into the hands of customers. It took me a week to notice, and only then because I used it for a couple hours straight.

- Jim

D4RkNIKON

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am the original poster of this thread. At first it really bothered me but now not so much. It goes away after a while and you really have to be looking for it in order to notice it. It is kid of disappointing but it isnt a deal breaker for me. I love this tablet too much.

tomgillotti

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
First day with the new tablet and have the same problem. Has anyone contacted ASUS about this issue? From what I hear they aren't the easiest to deal with.

John566

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I just turned down my brightness. I'm nervous I'm going to get the dreaded burn in that I got on the OLED screen of my Galaxy Note. I like my screens at 100% brightness but with my OCD, burn in really bugs me.

D4RkNIKON

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Again... The burn in is only TEMPORARY and goes away with time. The pixels aren't dead, they aren't really even stuck, they are stubborn more than anything. Those apps that flash a bunch of colors will fix it or you can go about your regular business and they will go away in time.

At first when I posted this thread it scared the out of me because I was worried it was there for ever. Since it does fade away, I am not really bothered by it anymore.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza