So what are you doing with your Prime?

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So most of the posts on here are people that are looking to get, or having questions about the Prime. But I want to know what you are doing with it. What's it excelling at and so forth.

What Apps are absolutely amazing on the Prime? Has anyone tried Digital copies of their movies(blu-Rays, DVD's)?

I want to read comics on my Prime, Anyone tried that? Books?

This is my first tablet and I'm really excited about it(in case you couldn't tell). I would just like to get an idea of the best ways to get the full potential out of it.

yazoowho

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I got mine to replace my laptop when I travel home on the weekends. I currently work in Los Angeles but go home to PHX on the weekends. Instead of lugging my work laptop and laptop bag, I just now have my TP.

I use the following apps mainly:

TouchDown for Exchange: for work emails.
ezPDF: for reading PDF files and magazines I download.
MX Player: to watch videos I download and transfer over.
Tapatalk: for reading forums (like this one)
Dropbox: to transfer some smaller files.
Google Music: music online and off
A few games and other apps to help with my travel.

-Peter

blacknoir

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I've played a few games, some that were meant for tablets, and i've had it connected to my TV with the HDMI cable so the kids could watch.

I've watched an MKV video on it and it ran great.

I copied some CBR comics over and it displayed those nicely using a comic viewer, i forget which one at the moment. I've also done some reading with the Kindle app but I prefer reading on my actual Kindle, the Tablet is a bit too big and cumbersome for that.

I think once I have my keyboard, comes on tuesday, i'll do a lot more with it.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I rather enjoy chucking it at unsuspecting people's heads. Seriously, it's so light and thin, it's almost like a frisbee.

Okay, in all seriousness, I have been enjoying the hell out of reading my RSS feeds on this gorgeous screen. I use NewsRob on my phone, so it came with me over to the tablet when I logged into my account, but damn Google Currents is pretty nice once you set it up with your feeds. It still isn't perfect but it is pretty close for me. I'm also making great use of "Read It Later Pro" which was offered for 10cents during Google's promotion. Besides those, using the old Twidroyd app (I never updated it when they switched to ty "UberSocial" or whatever the hell it is that ruined Twidroyd), looks amazing on the tablet, particularly portrait orientation. I just increased the font size to make it more readable on the 10.1" screen, and it's a beauty. Definitely no need for the mobile site anymore. Also, I study Japanese so apps like Obenkyo ("study" in Eng) are fantastic, and the larger screen compared to my 4" phone's screen is a pure joy to use it with. Recently I downloaded a game from the TegraZone called "Princess Punt" and I gradually became addicted. I find myself playing for 3-5 hours straight...it's zapping all of my sleep time now. It's free, and a great mix of RPG elements with Angry Birds, and great humor. Looks and performs wonderfully on the tablet. I haven't read any books on it yet, but I'd definitely like to try in the near future. As for movies, well, as soon as my damn champagne keyboard dock arrives from Amazon, I'll plop my new 32GB SD card in there and test out some HD movies/videos. I am definitely wanting to use the tablet for that as well, so if the stock video player doesn't perform well, I'll try mobo, or diceplayer, or whatever others are suggested as excellent third party video players.

yamatime

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I rather enjoy chucking it at unsuspecting people's heads. Seriously, it's so light and thin, it's almost like a frisbee.

Okay, in all seriousness, I have been enjoying the hell out of reading my RSS feeds on this gorgeous screen. I use NewsRob on my phone, so it came with me over to the tablet when I logged into my account, but damn Google Currents is pretty nice once you set it up with your feeds. It still isn't perfect but it is pretty close for me. I'm also making great use of "Read It Later Pro" which was offered for 10cents during Google's promotion. Besides those, using the old Twidroyd app (I never updated it when they switched to ty "UberSocial" or whatever the hell it is that ruined Twidroyd), looks amazing on the tablet, particularly portrait orientation. I just increased the font size to make it more readable on the 10.1" screen, and it's a beauty. Definitely no need for the mobile site anymore. Also, I study Japanese so apps like Obenkyo ("study" in Eng) are fantastic, and the larger screen compared to my 4" phone's screen is a pure joy to use it with. Recently I downloaded a game from the TegraZone called "Princess Punt" and I gradually became addicted. I find myself playing for 3-5 hours straight...it's zapping all of my sleep time now. It's free, and a great mix of RPG elements with Angry Birds, and great humor. Looks and performs wonderfully on the tablet. I haven't read any books on it yet, but I'd definitely like to try in the near future. As for movies, well, as soon as my damn champagne keyboard dock arrives from Amazon, I'll plop my new 32GB SD card in there and test out some HD movies/videos. I am definitely wanting to use the tablet for that as well, so if the stock video player doesn't perform well, I'll try mobo, or diceplayer, or whatever others are suggested as excellent third party video players.

Mx player. Do it.

Sent from my Evo 3D on Tapatalk - - BAM, that just happened.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, sir! :-D haha
I've heard great things about diceplayer, but then told since it's not in the market currently, use Mx, so I'll definitely try it out. Thanks!

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
TouchDown for corporate email and Netflix. Lots and lots of Netflix. I work nights and there's just not much to do. A few games, but I really bought it for Netflix. Also, I'm int he process of getting Plexapp to work on my home server. If I can get it working, I'll be able to access my entire video library from work.

erick0423

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Email,Facebook, Netflix,Shopping, streaming my movies thru network, Tapatalk, paying bills, return my dock at bestbuy, i feel like im using a netbook or a laptop with the dock,just want to call my prime as tablet. So far don't have any issues.:D:):) im loving this tablet.:D:):):)

Proud owner of Transformer Prime TF201

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm watching the playoff game right now in peace because my daughter is watching cartoons on the TP streamed from our file server. Otherwise, she's be bugging me to put on one of her shows every five minutes.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've started using mine for my travels when I work. I am watching movies (Netflix and MX Video Player), reading magazines, web browsing, playing music, and playing games with it. Love it.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear you took it back!! It really is an amazing piece of hardware.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm using mine for everything!

Books: I had a Kindle Fire so I've got a nice collection on Amazon.

Podcasts: I use pocketcasts. Great UI, and I use it to listen to audio and watch video podcasts.

Web: Chrome beta is already really good. With future updates I can see it get almost as good as the windows version.

Games: If you have the dock you can plug in a PS3 or Xbox controller and it will just work. GTA3 maxed out with a controller is super fun, and there are a lot more games coming out to the tegra too.

Watch stuff: Netflix & youtube also get a lot of play time from me.

I also want to get photoshop touch and start playing with it. The app looks like it has a lot of features for a mobile version.

Reactions: c00l0ne

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm a full time engineering student and I have to admit, I love this thing!

Apps
  • <Evernote> Taking notes in class while recording lectures simotaniously, and picture is genious. Have your notes at home, phone, prime.
  • <Dropbox>This is a good tool for extra storage
  • <CamScanner> For those times you need to make copies in the library but don't want to wait in line for the book scanner. Or make quick pdf copy of your homework or tests for records.
  • <GoogleDocs> I perfer this over Dropbox.
  • <Splashtop> This is a "must" for college students with pc's at home, especially if you live off campus. I've actually used it a couple of times to modify drawings on Solid Works and Pro E, from my prime!

My only complaint at this point would be the grips on the bottom of the keyboard dock. When you place it on an smooth inclined desk top, it wants to slide and WILL slide right off the desk.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
MKV's play amazing on this. I plug mine in to any one of my 3 TV's via the micro HDMI. Or better yet if you are at a hotel this works great on any HDMI supported device.

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
after continous video playback does the device get hot? like my single core android phone does?

i will mainly be using this to watch videos so id like a heads up.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Games: If you have the dock you can plug in a PS3 or Xbox controller and it will just work. GTA3 maxed out with a controller is super fun, and there are a lot more games coming out to the tegra too.

You made my day with this!

It made my day too. I then searched on YouTube, where you can see many videos showing people using the controllers to play everything from tegrazone, android market to emulated games. My 12yo son was watching them with me and was so excited stating "Now I see why so many of my friends want this thing!"...yeah he is a tech geek in training.:)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
after continous video playback does the device get hot? like my single core android phone does?

i will mainly be using this to watch videos so id like a heads up.
I haven't noticed any significant heating up issues on mine when watching videos. It doesn't heat up nearly as much as my TF101.