TF-201 discontinued?

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
That can't be right. Their "upgraded" version is probably months away from market.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Andyroo89

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if they are replacing them with the TF700T and giving them to the people that already preordered the Prime? Damn if that were true I should've preordered.

matthewjoseph255

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I still think it crap that there doing this fix your products dont make a new one 4 months later... by the time that one hits ill prob just upgrade to it anyway with the warranty i have

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
this is becoming troublesome, a few websites are saying they might be planning on discontinuing the tf201 series in favor of the new 700 series, which wouldnt be so bad if they didnt have the extra 100 in there.

it hardly seems right to charge an extra 100 for a mistake that is entirely out of the consumers hands, honestly, the new screen isnt that appealing to me, but if it supposedly fixes the issue with the wifi, and stayed at the same price as the tf201, then id go for it, the back is horrible in my opinion though, ugly and tasteless.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I think this talk about discontinuing the TP is completely without basis in fact. ASUS pushed whatever they had for Christmas and is now shipping what they have. I was able to grab one from TigerDirect this week, and they said there were over 500 docks coming into stock next week. So they are making their way out there, and while they may still be trying to fix any signal issues with the current model, there's no reason to think they are actually discontinuing the current TP especially since that leaves a 4-6 month hole before the HD TP ships.

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I think this talk about discontinuing the TP is completely without basis in fact. ASUS pushed whatever they had for Christmas and is now shipping what they have. I was able to grab one from TigerDirect this week, and they said there were over 500 docks coming into stock next week. So they are making their way out there, and while they may still be trying to fix any signal issues with the current model, there's no reason to think they are actually discontinuing the current TP especially since that leaves a 4-6 month hole before the HD TP ships.

500 tablets isnt much though, from a large manufacturing standpoint do you think they only produce 50 tablets at a time? id bet even 10,000 tablets is small from a business perspective, they could've made 10,000 from the start and there are still some left from the first batch.

i didnt say i had actual proof, but alot of sites are saying it looks more and more like asus is planning on stopping producion of the 201 model, and honestly from a business stand point it makes sense, stop making the faulty tablet and spend the money you would have on the new tablet, the tf201 sales already made show that there's interest in the tablet so they can assume there'll be interest in the 700 series.

however i still believe the price should be the same as the original prime, its not our fault that their design was flawed and we shouldnt be held accountable.

uglyyeti

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Since I'm not using a keyboard base (and at this point really don't intend to,) I haven't seen the back of mine since I put it in the case. It doesn't matter to me if it was champagne or purple-grey - all the front bezels look the same.

The back of the 700 isn't really that ugly, it just isn't as smooth and pretty as to 201. If eventually I wind up with a 700, once again I'll put it in a case and forget what the back looks like.

If this tablet were going to be your "significant other", would you choose the one with the smooth shiny backside or the equally svelte, higher performing one? (Until I have to make that choice, I'm enjoying the one with the shiny backside!);)

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
valid point, however an eyesore is still an eyesore. sweeping the dirt under the rug isnt getting rid of it, it's just hiding what i still there.

i can't even purchase a dock, because it would look stupid with a champagne dock and an ugly mis colored tablet.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

The tablets are no longer on NewEgg either. If you still have the link to them, they show as "disabled" in their system. I don't know if that means that they won't be getting any more in, or if they've just been out of stock so long that they were disabled in their inventory.