TF201 or TF700?

Andyroo89

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I was gonna pick up the TF201 but hearing about the wifi issues I decided to wait and heard about the TF700 which will be coming out in Q2 but I am still debating if I should save up for the TF700 or go for the TF201? I mean I do not have the money now. Thing is by the time I do have the money the TF700 will be out. So, that is why I am asking if I should just snag TF700 or the TF201?

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious about the TF700 myself, the 1080p screen sounds wicked. That said, I wonder whether the higher resolution will cause further performance/compatibility issues, especially with older apps. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
i personally was failry angry when the tf700 was announced, it seemed to me, and it still does, that instead of addressing the issue with the wifi asus just released another new tablet, and an extra 100 for a higher resolution screen and better front facing camera which i will never use seems pointless.

however, upon consideration of how i will be using my device, mostly for movies and internet browsing, i figure its worth it, it will be the highest resolution screen on the market, and granted that the tablet is a wifi tablet, it would be stupid to purchase a tablet with wifi issues.

so i personally will be going for a TF700 when it releases, rumored to be june

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Issues? I have issues? Nope. LOVE mine! OK, there's an occasional random reboot when running an intensive flash website. The WiFi icon at the bottom does not display correctly, but my WiFi signal is strong. Until they update the browser, the reboots will continue with any device that browser is one. Other than those two items, really for a first generation device, I can't believe how well it functions. It's freekin' awesome! You want to wait, go ahead, I'll be keeping mine and playing with it EVERY day!

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
loving mine so far too. I actually got my TF201 after the TF700 was announced. mostly due to price, since HHGregg had it for $400 and since when the TF700 would debut it would be for $600.

I'm not sure how well GPS works, since I never use it, but the wifi signal is showing that it's not as strong as it could be, but I have no issues at home. while out and about I tether to my phone and that is generally right next to me so the signal strength isn't an issue. haven't experienced many of the problems people are reporting except for the browser scrolling issue (which really pissed off the wife when she was using it)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
if money is a question i'd go for the 201.
we really don't know when the 700 is coming and we have no way of telling what launch issues it'll have
by the time it does get here.

the 201 will be cheaper, have enough OTAs under it's belt that it'll be more stable and to be honest, while 1080p sounds awesome, you will need to see it to tell for sure if it's worth the extra money and that won't happen for a while

my two cents.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Tonight I jumped online to order my 64GB TF201 and keyboard dock, but decided to see what my AC family had to say about this beast. To my dismay, I see that there is already an announced TF700 coming in only 4 months. :eek: Now I'm at a cross road where I don't know where to turn. I love this tablet after testing a demo earlier today along with the many months of hype. I also have read about the issues many are/aren't having. I know that every device has issues as AC forums prove daily. But so far, they all seem livable. Please help me make a decision on whether or not to pull the trigger on the TF201 or wait for the TF700? :confused:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Tonight I jumped online to order my 64GB TF201 and keyboard dock, but decided to see what my AC family had to say about this beast. To my dismay, I see that there is already an announced TF700 coming in only 4 months. :eek: Now I'm at a cross road where I don't know where to turn. I love this tablet after testing a demo earlier today along with the many months of hype. I also have read about the issues many are/aren't having. I know that every device has issues as AC forums prove daily. But so far, they all seem livable. Please help me make a decision on whether or not to pull the trigger on the TF201 or wait for the TF700? :confused:

It's easy. Enjoy your 201 for the next 4 months, then sell it on Gazelle or Ebay. Problem solved.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Now I'm wondering if the TF700 is even going to be an Android device but yet a Windows 8 one. I would be pissed if it was the latter if I waited. Has anyone made a running list of what apps aren't working yet in the ICS version of this tablet?

Update: After watching more videos and seeing the one from ASUS, I know it is an ICS 4.0.3 tablet. with upgraded camera, screen and some internal fixes. I'm still trying to determine which way to go.

Last edited:

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
honestly, if you keep waiting for the next best thing, you are going to be waiting forever. something new and better is always coming out. if you feel the TF201 is what fits your needs then go for it. if you want the 1080p display, then wait for the TF700. I got the TF201 and I'm really happy with it. just wish there was better tablet support with apps....

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
im waiting for the tf700, why should i wait when something new always comes out and ill be waiting forever?

htc released a tablet with not as good specs as the 700 and asked 800 for it

the hd screen will make movies gorgeous and i plan on only really using it for movies

the battery life when docked to the keyboard is better than any tablet out

the added functionality of the keyboard dock

asus track record of releasing updates fast and often

sure other companies will release similar tablets, but at what price range? with added keyboards? expandable memory? fast updates on firmare? i doubt it, for me this is the way to go so once the tf700 hits, i dont care if theres 800 new tablets with the same specs. for me the choice is obvious.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
honestly, if you keep waiting for the next best thing, you are going to be waiting forever. something new and better is always coming out. if you feel the TF201 is what fits your needs then go for it. if you want the 1080p display, then wait for the TF700. I got the TF201 and I'm really happy with it. just wish there was better tablet support with apps....

I understand that philosophy, however that isn't the situation I'm in. The release is so soon (3-4 months). and now that I have to wait a month approx. for more 64GB TF201's to be shipped, it will be even closer. The 32GB TF700's price point will be the same as what I'm looking at for a 64GB TF201. So while I wait for stock to replenish, it is a valid question to ask. Then with ASUS pumping out OTA's fixing issues albeit some they caused, it is also making this a harder choice. If there were newer TF201's (64GB) available (not including the overpriced $700+ sites) from a reputable dealer, then I would place the order today.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
im waiting for the tf700, why should i wait when something new always comes out and ill be waiting forever?

htc released a tablet with not as good specs as the 700 and asked 800 for it

the hd screen will make movies gorgeous and i plan on only really using it for movies

the battery life when docked to the keyboard is better than any tablet out

the added functionality of the keyboard dock

asus track record of releasing updates fast and often

sure other companies will release similar tablets, but at what price range? with added keyboards? expandable memory? fast updates on firmare? i doubt it, for me this is the way to go so once the tf700 hits, i dont care if theres 800 new tablets with the same specs. for me the choice is obvious.

These are all very good points that I have listed in my Pro TF700 column. While I wait for more stock :mad: I am researching as much as I can on this series.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
stock issues are quite the pain, aren't they? I waited 2+ weeks for HHGregg to ship mine out due to stock issues. I just wish they would catch up with demand already!

I actually would have waited for the TF700 if it was coming out at the same price as the TF201. I agree with you guys though, with all the features and specs of the asus tablets and for the price, there's no way I'd go with any other tablet. I just didn't want to spend more than $500 for a tablet.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is!! Luckily the stock status updated tonight so I placed my order. I should have it in a couple of weeks. Now I have to wait for the dock to become available.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
There was an ASUS Corporate video talking about the TF700T and it stated that it will come with the T3. I will trust them over anyone else. If I can find the video again I will post a link. They didn't say too much but did confirm the meat of the beast.

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I myself am and have been waiting for the tf700. I waited long for 201 to come out, I can wait until after MWC (for anything newer) or go with the tf700.

Though, I did want to share the following unofficial info about the possible tf700, which, if true, is disappointing to me...

ASUS Transformer TF300T specs revealed ahead of MWC launch

i too was going to post this yesterday, as i foud it on my daily search for anything new, and i firmly believe it was a misprint, the videos and stuff of the tf700 all say reps confirmed it was a tegra 3 chip, if indeed it does ship with a tegra 2, i shall be very dissappinted and will most likely go with the tf300.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Woohoo!
Well nothing is official yet, but this guy says tegra 3 at the end...

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF700 Hands On - live @ CES 2012 - YouTube

There's no point in them going in reverse with the processor for the newer tf700 like in the bgr link.

Could be they leaked some false info out so to keep the tf201's selling off the shelves.. Idk... This way they could get stuck with less unsold merchandise.. Don't quote me on this, it's only a thought, and business is business as usual.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Woohoo!
Well nothing is official yet, but this guy says tegra 3 at the end...

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF700 Hands On - live @ CES 2012 - YouTube

There's no point in them going in reverse with the processor for the newer tf700 like in the bgr link.

Could be they leaked some false info out so to keep the tf201's selling off the shelves.. Idk... This way they could get stuck with less unsold merchandise.. Don't quote me on this, it's only a thought, and business is business as usual.

I think i like the metal backing though

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol