GAAAAAA I love this tablet!

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have started looking into the TP the last few days as I'm in the market for a new laptop. I want at least dual core and I was set on 17 inch. However lately with school and work I'm starting to have a need to have something more portable and not so heavy, and stumbled onto this which I've been hearing about for awhile. To this point I've not been able to justify any need for a tablet as I'm not a reader, so it would just be a toy.

However after seeing the docking station and the fact that this is quad core with great graphics, and in the same price range as a laptop that I want, the fact I can run an external monitor, and still be productive with it and have it be very easy to carry with me as well as have it be a toy also is very tempting.

Is there any reason to wait for the new one that's coming out in a few months? The only difference I saw was 1080p resolution which I don't think is necessary on something this size.

Tapped from my Eclipsed X2

If you need a laptop, get a laptop. I'm sure everyone that owns it will tell you that this is not a laptop replacement, even with the docking keyboard. However, if you find yourself only checking email, surfing the web, listening to music, or watching movies, forgo the laptop and buy a tablet.

As for the Prime tablet, most of us like it, but there are some complaints. A tiny single speaker on the back is one. It had random reboots before the last update, but I think they fixed it. I haven't had a random reboot since the update.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
That is exactly what I'm doing. I am reading every thread on every Prime forum I can find and taking notes. There are some great ICS apps and accessories that you guys have tried and I will be adding to my arsenal. I am learning a lot about this tablet from you guys. I just got the Android bug with my EVO3D and have not looked back. I think my EVO and Laptop are going to be very jealous soon.

Bamm83

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not nice to state that my Prime hasn't had any problems while others have suffered, but to be honest, my Prime has NEVER rebooted on me. Never. Not during any version of the software. I do consider myself extremely lucky. I just don't want people reading these forums to think that EVERY Prime reboots randomly.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if most of these issues are with an earlier build? Like other devices, the later build ones tend to not display those issues. Then the next question is where was it made? I understand that there may be more than one physical location the devices are made even if from the same country.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Throwing my hat in to say that my Prime has never rebooted itself in front of me, and I received it early on. Now, my phone? That's a different story.

I love this tablet, too. I keep it in the dock at all times lol. This has got to be the best tablet for web browsing and games. I'm not too impressed with the Polaris software though, for typing up class notes in college. I'm wondering if there is a better app out there for that. Otherwise, exceptional battery life, incredibly light and thin, the most beautiful screen with an amazing viewing angle...I'm loving it, and no, I'm not talking about McDonald's.

Bamm83

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Throwing my hat in to say that my Prime has never rebooted itself in front of me, and I received it early on. Now, my phone? That's a different story.

I love this tablet, too. I keep it in the dock at all times lol. This has got to be the best tablet for web browsing and games. I'm not too impressed with the Polaris software though, for typing up class notes in college. I'm wondering if there is a better app out there for that. Otherwise, exceptional battery life, incredibly light and thin, the most beautiful screen with an amazing viewing angle...I'm loving it, and no, I'm not talking about McDonald's.

I second the question of any other Office programs out there for creating papers with. You would think there would be some sort of Microsoft Office emulator that actually works well. Anyone?

Bamm83

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used Polaris, so what do you not like about it?

It's just extra hard to edit or write up papers that are supposed to be formatted a certain way. Everything seems like it is a chore. The keyboard sometimes doesn't seem that responsive, which might be the dock's problem, but it never gives me any trouble with posting online or in other apps. So, I don't know. It just doesn't seem like it's easy to work with. There needs to be a Word-like program that is seamless and user friendly.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used Polaris, so what do you not like about it?

Definitely agree with Bamm about the "feels like a chore" thing. It really does. I'm not sure how to explain it any better, but it doesn't feel intuitive to me. I feel like to do the simplest things there are always several steps involved, rather than one. It looks nice; it's big, the buttons are a nice size, etc. Just can't get into its functionality, or lackthereof.

It's just extra hard to edit or write up papers that are supposed to be formatted a certain way. Everything seems like it is a chore. The keyboard sometimes doesn't seem that responsive, which might be the dock's problem, but it never gives me any trouble with posting online or in other apps. So, I don't know. It just doesn't seem like it's easy to work with. There needs to be a Word-like program that is seamless and user friendly.

Bamm, I was looking at QuickOffice Pro, but in its reviews I saw a mention of something called Kingsoft. I'll post the link below. I've been playing around with it for only about 25 minutes, but so far I am enjoying it. Its buttons are quite tiny, or maybe it's just my eyes acting up due to lack of sleep - but I did find that a little difficult. Once I get used to where the main buttons are, though, I really don't see that being a huge issue. Let me know what you think! I wish I could play with it a bit more, but I've got to wake up in about 5 1/2 hours for work tomorrow, on top of loads of homework afterwards. One issue I came across but haven't had time to check into it just yet, is that I tried e-mailing myself a test document saved as .doc, but OpenOffice on my PC wouldn't open it, popping up an error claiming it's not a Microsoft Word '97 file. When I saved a new, plain text file as .txt and e-mailed that, though, I could open it easily on my PC. Hoping I can get around the .doc error, because that's rather important.

http://www.1mobile.com/d.php?soft_i...software/business/kingsoft_office_android.apk

Reactions: Bamm83

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
While I use Google Music and Amazon Music, I don't know about transferring all those songs over. Plus with Zune it has a Subscription and you can stream songs. I don't know. I'm sure if I really want this I could find a workaround. I just don't see a tablet replacing my laptop

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There is always a new gadget available in a few months (unless you buy Apple products) but the prime is already so far ahead of the competition and also a much better price that I don't know why anyone would consider anything else. I have the TF101 and the Prime w keyboard and love them both.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I love looking at this tablet and interested in buying it but I am a music lover. I have iTunes and I'm subscribed to Zune so I run both programs. To my knowledge I don't believe tablets (besides iPad) are able to hold a music program. Now if I'm wrong, guess who will be putting this as a birthday wish?
One thing I was very surprised by was the sound quality on the prime. My Tf101 didn't have nearly the same full sound as the Prime. I turn it on and use it as a portable music player. The bottom speaker resonates beautifully when you lay it on any hard surface. I had read a number of posts complaining about the speaker and sound. So I wasn't expecting much but after I turned it on I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyone else have an opinion on sound quality?

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not nice to state that my Prime hasn't had any problems while others have suffered, but to be honest, my Prime has NEVER rebooted on me. Never. Not during any version of the software. I do consider myself extremely lucky. I just don't want people reading these forums to think that EVERY Prime reboots randomly.
Mine has never rebooted either.

iPhone4s79

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
While I use Google Music and Amazon Music, I don't know about transferring all those songs over. Plus with Zune it has a Subscription and you can stream songs. I don't know. I'm sure if I really want this I could find a workaround. I just don't see a tablet replacing my laptop

If you have Google Music and Amazon Music, you've already uploaded your library to their servers. Just fire up the respective app and stream away!

Your full music library is accessible from your TP, as long as you are connected to WI-Fi.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
You guys are swaying me as well...I recently gave my girlfriend my ipad 2 in anticipation of the ipad 3, but looking into the transformer prime has got me reconsidering my initial plans. The only thing that has stopped me from "pulling the trigger" already is because of all of the talk of wifi issues. GPS isn't really that important to me, but obviously I would need some wifi in my life. Listening to you guys though, I'm almost ready to buy. lol.

iPhone4s79

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
As a note I just received my second 32GB micro sdcard from Amazon. Brings my TP up to 96GB :D

(32GB onboard; 32GB in micro sdcard slot on tablet; 32GB in SD slot on keyboard dock.)

Leaves the USB slot open for removable dive and USB game controller.:cool: