Google Chrome Team Given Up on the Prime?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
http://www.androidcentral.com/chrom...y-and-performance-improvements#comment-425448

Chrome was recently updated and yet the Prime is still listed as a "known issue". It is the only tablet listed as such Install Chrome for Android Beta - Google Chrome Help

I'm starting to think that maybe the Chrome dev team has abandoned trying to get Chrome to run well on the Prime simply because the Prime has issues itself that prevent it from happening. Chrome is certainly not the only app that runs sort of crappy on the Prime. I have frequent issues with Gmail, YouTube, and even Dolphin Browser and a few other apps.

Ironically, high-end games tend to run almost always well on the Prime, yet basic apps sometimes lag and produce the dreaded "Not Responding" box. I think it has something to do with the RAM being clogged up, processor lag, or maybe simply WiFi latency. I have noticed that most of the apps with these issues are those that require a WiFi connection to pull new information (i.e. browsers, gmail)

Games don't have this issue generally because all of their data is stored locally and I think the Prime is pretty aggressive about giving games all available resources if needed.

Has anyone heard of another update from Asus coming to fix any of these issues?

Otherwise, it may not be Chrome that's buggy. It may simply be an issue with the Prime that I fear will never be addressed because either it can't be (WiFi antenna issues) or Asus has completely moved on to their newer and shinier products. :'(

escott63

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have but the same for Dolphin browser crashing. I think they need to update to 4.04 and that may solve some of these issues. Have you tried the soft reboot or factory reset? or you will have to send back to Asus repair. I have done both and it has helped somewhat. if the pending update does not fix the issues for me I will send for repair. :)

Firespyer

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So pissed at chrome for the Prime I am uninstalling it, and going with the stock browser. It's Bulls!@# that they cant get it to work even marginally well on this tablet.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Asus is working on another update that is meant to address the browser issues. Or so they say at XDA. Let's hope this fixes whatever the problems are. They are working with NVIDIA and Google on this according to their post.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I have but the same for Dolphin browser crashing. I think they need to update to 4.04 and that may solve some of these issues. Have you tried the soft reboot or factory reset? or you will have to send back to Asus repair. I have done both and it has helped somewhat. if the pending update does not fix the issues for me I will send for repair. :)

I have, it helps in the very short term but after a few days the problem appears again. Even with the stock browser, the "App is not responding" box appears. It also takes 3-5 seconds to simply respond to an input occasionally.

The irony is that I installed Mass Effect Infiltrator last night and it ran like a champ. The game is gorgeous and yet the prime performed flawlessly and the game never lagged.

Yet I can't even use the browser without experiencing input lag!

escott63

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Also I've noticed that the prime will switch back to balanced mode from performance mode by itself. This maybe causing the wait as well.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Here is the latest update posted on XDA by Asus:
The .28 Firmware will be available this week to address ANR issues and unlock a couple of new features. I will start beta testing of the next firmware release with specific Browser performance enhancements this week.

Reactions: escott63

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So pissed at chrome for the Prime I am uninstalling it, and going with the stock browser. It's Bulls!@# that they cant get it to work even marginally well on this tablet.

I've gotta say, it seems like Chrome on the Prime has gotten worse since the initial release instead of better. Every once in awhile I try to use it, but within 2-3 pages it starts locking up and giving me a message asking whether I want to wait or close the browser, and half the time the page doesn't display at all. It blows my mind that the people who made such an awesome browser for Windows can barely make a half-assed browser for their own OS!

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Here is the latest update posted on XDA by Asus:
The .28 Firmware will be available this week to address ANR issues and unlock a couple of new features. I will start beta testing of the next firmware release with specific Browser performance enhancements this week.

So if I understand correctly, a new firmware update will/should be available this week, plus a new beta firmware will go into testing by Asus this week to focus on browser issues.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've gotta say, it seems like Chrome on the Prime has gotten worse since the initial release instead of better. Every once in awhile I try to use it, but within 2-3 pages it starts locking up and giving me a message asking whether I want to wait or close the browser, and half the time the page doesn't display at all. It blows my mind that the people who made such an awesome browser for Windows can barely make a half-assed browser for their own OS!

The newest update seems like it is going to address a lot of our frustrations with our Primes.

Pocketables – ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime updated to 9.4.2.28, gets lots of goodies

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
So to be correct, in addition to this update now being available, Asus is in the process of testing a new firmware as well? Any ides on if it will be 4.0.4?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
That's great to hear. I can't wait to get my Prime (or a new one) back and update. Mailed my brick back to Asus a couple of days ago. I miss it. :'(

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So to be correct, in addition to this update now being available, Asus is in the process of testing a new firmware as well? Any ides on if it will be 4.0.4?
What is posted on XDA only indicates that yet another update is being worked on to better address browser issues. No word on whether or not it is 4.0.4, sorry. Unfortunately, the question cannot be asked on that thread on XDA either as no comments can be made. They had to block comments due to people hijacking the thread with unrelated stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac