USB Hard Drive + HDMI Out

Viverrid

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I assume this is common knowledge but I searched and could not find the answer. Can you use a USB hard drive while connected to a TV via HDMI out? I know this is an issue with the MHL spec used on some phones but was not certain if the same is true for the Transformer Prime. To clarify: I would like to be able to play video files off of an external USB drive and display them on my TV via HDMI out. Thanks in advance.

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if you can for sure or not, have not tried. But if anything, just copy the video to the Prime storage, watch the video, then delete it when done, if you don't want it on there anymore.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I assume this is common knowledge but I searched and could not find the answer. Can you use a USB hard drive while connected to a TV via HDMI out? I know this is an issue with the MHL spec used on some phones but was not certain if the same is true for the Transformer Prime. To clarify: I would like to be able to play video files off of an external USB drive and display them on my TV via HDMI out. Thanks in advance.

I would assume so. Not to be smart, but, why don't you just try it and find out? Then you can come back and let us know how it went.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh, okay, sorry about that.

Well, I will say, I was curious and had to check it out. I had never seen my Prime on my TV anyway (no real reason to). It does indeed work. Had HDMI up and running, plugged in a flash drive, browsed it successfully. So, there you have it!! :D

Viverrid

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh, okay, sorry about that.

Well, I will say, I was curious and had to check it out. I had never seen my Prime on my TV anyway (no real reason to). It does indeed work. Had HDMI up and running, plugged in a flash drive, browsed it successfully. So, there you have it!! :D

Thank you very much! :)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
No problem man, I think I have to thank you though, for provoking me into investigating what my Prime looked like on my TV. I will say though, I wasn't impressed. The display wasn't as crisp as I would have hoped for. And, part of it was cutoff. Part of both the bottom and the top were cut off. So, that's something to think about for ya. And, it's something for me to look into to. But, I don't really have a need to use my Prime on my TV, so, maybe I should just cut myself a break and let it go. :p

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

yes you can do this. I've streamed tons of vids from my passport USB drive to the TV. you do need the keyboard dock of course for this to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC