How often do you use it docked?

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I find that the majority of the time I have it docked. It makes it a lot easier to use since you can just put it on your lap and not have to look at it on a weird angle or hold it up. Every tablet should have this.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I find that the majority of the time I have it docked. It makes it a lot easier to use since you can just put it on your lap and not have to look at it on a weird angle or hold it up. Every tablet should have this.

Actually I have found that I use it docked less than I thought I would. About the only time I dock it is if I want to lay/slouch down in a chair or couch and rest it on me belly.

The other time I use it docked is when travelling. The extra battery time is awesome and the protection that the dock gives is much appreciated.

-Suntan

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Id say about 95% of the time its docked. Although I bought it for the tablet feature Im finding that I use it more as a laptop then anything.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
When you guys have it docked and using it on your lap, does it get hot? I remember some of my old laptops used to get so hot that I couldn't even hold them on my lap. But I guess all the "work" is being done on the tablet in this case.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
When you guys have it docked and using it on your lap, does it get hot? I remember some of my old laptops used to get so hot that I couldn't even hold them on my lap. But I guess all the "work" is being done on the tablet in this case.

Nope not at all. I can run tons of apps and work the tablet pretty hard and still has yet to show me that it can get even slightly warmer then room temperature.

Being as notebooks have been designed differently over the past decade, they really shouldnt be called laptops anymore. Companies are packing more power in smaller packages and the underside has been a source of intake air for the better part of a decade. So using a "laptop" on your lap is not only going to conduct heat to your legs easier, but will also block the vents and force the laptop to work hotter.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I use it on the dock almost all of the time. I expect when we travel, it will get some independent use, but it's so comfortable to not have to hold it up to view, and convenient to type on real keys instead of glass. Unless we are playing a game that needs physical movement, there doesn't seem to be much incentive to separate it.

There is also the incredible battery life with the dock connected, and no concern that we will run it dry throughout the day, no matter how hard we use it. Regarding heat, it's not an issue. If anything, it gets more heat from my legs than it radiates from within. Maybe my judgement on this is a little skewed, since I'm comparing it to my 7lb + toaster oven HP 9000, but it does stay quite cool.

ASUSFAN0001

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I use the dock in the evening while the combined unit is charging.

In addition, I use it when traveling and doing "work related" activities that involve alot of typing.

Otherwise...its undocked the remainder of the time.

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I though the dock would be less useful then it is... but I would say I 95% or greater its docked. Not only the awesome battery life, and ease of typing (which btw freaking cool that SwiftKey X Tablet version works with the docked keyboard) but it also acts as a stand so that I do not have to hold it, and protects it enough that I have not needed a case.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
...but it also acts as a stand so that I do not have to hold it, and protects it enough that I have not needed a case.

Didn't even think about this being an advantage to the dock as well. I have the Asus case being delivered today, but will probably never use it if I get the keyboard dock.

I think I'm sold, and BestBuy has them in stock so I may pick one up today.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
For long emails, creating and editing HTML documents, and long SSH sessions its a must have.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
For long emails, creating and editing HTML documents, and long SSH sessions its a must have.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Not to get off topic, but what do you use for HTML generation? Do you use an app or just do it freehand?

I?d love to have a simple WYSIWYG editor to do simple updates to the family website while on vacation and the like.

-Suntan

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Not to get off topic, but what do you use for HTML generation? Do you use an app or just do it freehand?

I’d love to have a simple WYSIWYG editor to do simple updates to the family website while on vacation and the like.

-Suntan

I use Android web editor Pro. Has some really nice features and makes creating/editing html, css, and PHP files easy. I save my files in a folder and view them in opera and its just like doing it on my thinkpad. Granted if Im doing lots and lots of coding Ill just power on the thinkpad, but in a pinch it cant be beat.

Last edited:

Fafaflunkie

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Likewise with me. Being able to type on a physical keyboard sure beats typing on a virtual one. Add to it the fact I no longer have to actually hold the tablet when using it and the extra battery life and the fact closing the thing up gives you added protection are huge bonuses. Too bad the keyboard's expensive relative to the tablet :( . Still a worthwhile investment.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the keyboard dock last night and I love it. I no longer have to prop the tablet up on a pillow while on my lap so I don't have to hold it. Some things I still need to get used to; like tapping the space bar twice doesn't add a period.

The keyboard updated it's firmwre, and the only place I notice lag is typing a reply in this forum.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So is the consensus that a dock is a better deal than a tablet + BT keyboard?

Without a doubt. It is ackward to use a keybaord for typing and then have to reach up to touch the screen. In addition, it is almost impossible to sit with a tablet on your lap and use a separate BT keyboard.

Not to mention the thing runs forever with the extra battery.

-Suntan

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So is the consensus that a dock is a better deal than a tablet + BT keyboard?

Yes without a doubt. Although the zagg blue tooth setup my mom has for her ipad is pretty nice, the asus dock is MUCH better. Plus it adds more then a keyboard and eliminates the battery drain of transmitting over BT. I honestly am surprised that only asus is making docks like this (and lenovo if there thinkpad android tablet ever releases).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool