Probably Switching To Ipad2

RebelRiver15

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys i got an Asus Eee Pad Transformer 16gb a few days ago, and i absolutely love it except for 2 things, theres is absolutely no app selection on the Market, a huge disapointment, and the browser can be slow after the Tablet has been on for awhile, a restart will fix it for a little bit, my question is , should i "downgrade" to the iPad 2 for the sole purpose of having the app selection that it offers, apps are a huge part of what i look for in a Tablet, please reply, thanks guys! ;)

Reactions: Bardman1123

chawheefitzy@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
what type of apps are you looking for had the ipad and could not stand it so i went to the ipad and sold it after having it for 2 days i hate apple if you do decide to go that route enjoy your lockdown software!!! :)

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
... theres is absolutely no app selection on the Market

Not my experience at all. I have about 85 apps on my EVO 4G and virtually all of them work just fine on my Transformer. A few don't scale up to full screen and of course not all are tablet-optimized, but I've not come across anything lacking in the market that I need...and I use the Transformer extensively for both work and play.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It depends on what you're using your Tab for. For me, it's email, web browsing and apps, and the iPad 2 is superior to the Android Tabs, unless you frequent sites with a lot of Flash(fortunately, I don't).

I have a Droid X and love it and the flexibility Android offers on a phone. I found that to be much less important on tablet which I used mostly while hanging out at home and watching tv. The ease of use and quality and quantity of tablet optimized apps on the iPad 2 are impossible to beat.

For me, ultimate combo, Android phone and iPad tablet.

Everyone is different.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is different like @madlaw1071 said. The app this is so overrated, unless there is something so specific that you are looking for. I have a Droid X2, the Asus Transformer and an original iPad. I still reach for my iPad every now and then, but it's just laziness on my part.

But just like with phones, get the one that does what you want it to do. It's your money.

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys i got an Asus Eee Pad Transformer 16gb a few days ago, and i absolutely love it except for 2 things, theres is absolutely no app selection on the Market, a huge disapointment, and the browser can be slow after the Tablet has been on for awhile, a restart will fix it for a little bit, my question is , should i "downgrade" to the iPad 2 for the sole purpose of having the app selection that it offers, apps are a huge part of what i look for in a Tablet, please reply, thanks guys! ;)
What type of apps are you looking for?

Keep in mind that right now you can't see all of the tablet apps available because of how the Google market is structured. "Featured Tablet Apps" are not the only ones out there right now. Perhaps if you give us some insight into what you are looking for we can provide some suggestions that will entice you enough to stay....

I'm sure you'll be happier in the long run if you stick with the TF.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is different like @madlaw1071 said. The app this is so overrated, unless there is something so specific that you are looking for. I have a Droid X2, the Asus Transformer and an original iPad. I still reach for my iPad every now and then, but it's just laziness on my part.

But just like with phones, get the one that does what you want it to do. It's your money.

I wouldn't say it's overrated. Honeycomb has no HBO Go, the Xfinity app is bare bones. Many games and other apps while available aren't tablet optimized. The is clearly a large gap in the apps. It will close eventually like it did on the phones. Again it depends what you use your Tab for.

Xbbfan73

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have to say I am a little disappointed in the tablet. I got mine 4 days ago and i reach formy Epic instead. I hate WWFriends app. Been getting stuck on ads all day. I want to use it on the road but no data plan. Can't use my 3g plan without USB. Transformers need dock for that. I love the size but hate the bugs. I know it will get better but feeling like a waste right now. Suggestions?

RebelRiver15

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
What type of apps are you looking for?

Keep in mind that right now you can't see all of the tablet apps available because of how the Google market is structured. "Featured Tablet Apps" are not the only ones out there right now. Perhaps if you give us some insight into what you are looking for we can provide some suggestions that will entice you enough to stay....

I'm sure you'll be happier in the long run if you stick with the TF.

Just general apps, right now android cant compete with over 100,000 apps optimized for the Ipad and Ipad 2, while androids stuck behind with only around 200 android optimized apps? are you kidding me, this difference is ridiculous, ill come back to android when they've got equal to or more tablet optimized apps then the Ipad does.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Just general apps, right now android cant compete with over 100,000 apps optimized for the Ipad and Ipad 2, while androids stuck behind with only around 200 android optimized apps? are you kidding me, this difference is ridiculous, ill come back to android when they've got equal to or more tablet optimized apps then the Ipad does.

So you're sayin that the guy posting above yours has all possible android tablet apps minus 10? I doubt that. With tablets being relatively new, I believe it's just a short matter of time until the huge android market and it's developers optimize the apps for tablets...that's the problem..not the availability but the optimization to the 10.1 screen.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have to say I am a little disappointed in the tablet. I got mine 4 days ago and i reach formy Epic instead. I hate WWFriends app. Been getting stuck on ads all day. I want to use it on the road but no data plan. Can't use my 3g plan without USB. Transformers need dock for that. I love the size but hate the bugs. I know it will get better but feeling like a waste right now. Suggestions?

I don't know what WW friends is/are, but why do you need USB to use your 3G plan?

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't let me talk you out of switching you have to do what's right for you, but I do want to address your issue.

Apps actually scale in Android, they don't in iOS. That is one reason why you see more "Tablet Specific" apps on iOS. There are quite a few apps in Android that don't need to be scaled, they look and run great on a 10" screen.

Switching to iOS means you lose a lot of functionality that you currently enjoy with Android. Things that you will never get with apple. Apps will come, I agree 200 "Optimized" apps is low for the amount of time the Xoom has been out (The first real Android tablet) but the Xoom was priced higher than the iPad. Now that more and more affordable, market accessable, supported tablets are coming out I am willing to be that number will skyrocket.

If everyone took the "I'll come back to Android when more apps come out" approach they would never come. This is the price we pay for being early adopters. A price I am willing to pay for the good that Google is doing with Android and their side projects.

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This argument about how the iPad has SO MANY MORE apps than Android tablets sorta cracks me up. If you really can't find what you need in the Android Market, then you're either not looking or you have extremely esoteric requirements. As someone else (besides me) has already stated, there are thousands of "non-tablet-optimized"apps that scale nicely in Honeycomb...really.

Anyway, back to what cracks me up ... I have a good friend with an iPad who repeatedly exclaims "Wait! How did you do that?", or "Wow, cool" when I show him things you CAN'T DO in iOS that we take for granted. Regardless of how many apps he can boast access to.

Bottom line - if you have needs that only the iPad can meet (and you've done your research), then by all means get an iPad. I have needs that only Andoid can meet, so that's why I'm here. Simple.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This argument about how the iPad has SO MANY MORE apps than Android tablets sorta cracks me up. If you really can't find what you need in the Android Market, then you're either not looking or you have extremely esoteric requirements. As someone else (besides me) has already stated, there are thousands of "non-tablet-optimized"apps that scale nicely in Honeycomb...really.

Anyway, back to what cracks me up ... I have a good friend with an iPad who repeatedly exclaims "Wait! How did you do that?", or "Wow, cool" when I show him things you CAN'T DO in iOS that we take for granted. Regardless of how many apps he can boast access to.

Bottom line - if you have needs that only the iPad can meet (and you've done your research), then by all means get an iPad. I have needs that only Andoid can meet, so that's why I'm here. Simple.

The problem for many, including me, is that why pay the same price for an Android Tab for non-optimized apps when for the same money you get 100s of thousands of HD apps on the iPad?

Also, as I stated above there many of the most popular apps that simply aren't available on Android Tabs optimized or not. Examples, HBO Go, Xfinity with streaming, Flipboard, CNN with streaming, Netflix etc.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The problem for many, including me, is that why pay the same price for an Android Tab for non-optimized apps when for the same money you get 100s of thousands of HD apps on the iPad?

Also, as I stated above there many of the most popular apps that simply aren't available on Android Tabs optimized or not. Examples, HBO Go, Xfinity with streaming, Flipboard, CNN with streaming, Netflix etc.

First off the ipad and ipad 2 do NOT have HD screens. Second off I have yet to find an app that doesnt work flawlessly on android tablets as well as I have yet to find an app store application that I cannot find on the market. Lastly who cares about quantity when diversity is the same and alot of paid apps on the app store are free for android.

Remember the amount of apps doesnt matter its what apps you have and how well they work and how much they cost.

The only thing I will say the ipad has that some android devices dont have is netflix. I dont have hbo or xfinity (why would I when I have netflix and fios) and I dont enjoy bias media like cnn and fox so ill pass on that too.

How is flash going on the ipad? What about usb hosting or external storage? I bet yall wished you had a true HD screen. Its about ALOT more then a few lame apps only a few people use. But hey if you like sacrificing so much to watch hbo and cnn on your tablet while I stream it on my slingbox application go ahead. While im watching and hating cnn on my asus ill also be copying files from my external hard drive through usb to one of my sd cards and possibly thinking about veiwing a flash intensive website on my beautiful ips TRUE HD screen.

Oh and dont say pay the same price for android tablets when the asus transformer (the forum youre posting in) is $100 cheaper then the ipad. Now if i buy the dock sure its $50 more then a standard ipad but im getting a 112GB tablet with a keyboard and extra features that your diety steve jobs wont let you have. Ever.

But hey you have hbo and cnn apps...

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's overrated. Honeycomb has no HBO Go, the Xfinity app is bare bones. Many games and other apps while available aren't tablet optimized. The is clearly a large gap in the apps. It will close eventually like it did on the phones. Again it depends what you use your Tab for.

It is overrated on all platforms. Look at poor Windows Mobile 7. I picked up a WM7 phone because I had some clients wanting apps written. Anyway, all tech news stream could talk about was how many apps it's market had, and how many apps Android and Apple had at the same time and how many apps they will have in the next month.

If there is a specific app you need that is not available on an Android tablet, then don't get one. I like the Time Warner Cable app on my iPad that lets me watch my cable TV. It's not available for Android yet but I'm sure it will be soon. I miss NetFlix too, but they are releasing it for more devices and I'll have that soon too.

Or just have both an iPad and Android tablet like I do, and use whatever tablet fits your need at that time. For me it's those two apps I mentioned above, otherwise my Asus does everything else and more.

SquintySteam

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site

This is such an ignorant statement. I've literally only downloaded 3 apps that didn't work just fine on my Xoom or Transformer and they were both games. What does it matter if someone took the time to put "Optimized for Honeycomb" in the description or flag it to show up as a tablet app?

If the app works and displays correctly then it should be considered a tablet friendly application.

I'm with you on the Netflix and HBO Go thing however. In fact I'm buying a used iPad so I can watch Netflix and HBO Go on a tablet until they release versions for my Android tablets. Then one of the grand kids gets a nice Christmas present.

Bottom line, if you would prefer an iPad2, get one, but don't come here asking for folks to help you and then make ignorant statements. It sounds like you're regurgitating talking points from an Apple site.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This is such an ignorant statement. I've literally only downloaded 3 apps that didn't work just fine on my Xoom or Transformer and they were both games. What does it matter if someone took the time to put "Optimized for Honeycomb" in the description or flag it to show up as a tablet app?

You are 100% correct. A properly coded Android app will scale to any screen size. All my apps run fine on any size screen. I write corporate applications and can never count on what device users will have. Everything scales correctly, orientation is not an issue. "Honeycomb Optimized" just means the developer has access to some different API's, like USB support and of course graphics.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci