GPS - WiFi off

rndman

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Per spec TF has GPS and also the reviews mention that the GPS works w/o Wifi.

I am still trying to figure out how to do it. What app?

I appreciate your help. This would be great for my upcoming travel.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Go into Settings, Location & Security, and check Use GPS Satellites. Then open Google Maps and it will find your location. Give it a few minutes to locate some satellites though.

rndman

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Go into Settings, Location & Security, and check Use GPS Satellites. Then open Google Maps and it will find your location. Give it a few minutes to locate some satellites though.

Thanks. That seem to work to find the position.May be I should go outside for satellites to lock.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Nada. The position only works. When I try to get directions, it waits forever.
What am I missing?

You won't get any directions, or Navigation with WiFi off, unless you've previously downloaded the Google maps for the area, when WiFi was On. GPS itself doesn't require WiFi, but the mapping app does.

rndman

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
You won't get any directions, or Navigation with WiFi off, unless you've previously downloaded the Google maps for the area, when WiFi was On. GPS itself doesn't require WiFi, but the mapping app does.

Ok. So what's the best option to use it as true GPS? or there is none..:(

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Assuming you have WiFi available at some point, but not when you want to use GPS for navigation, why not just download the area you want to navigate from Google Maps (with WiFi on, of course), then you can use GPS to navigate within that area, with the caveat that Google Maps data gets flushed after a month, or so, and you would have to refresh it at that point.

If you don't ever have home access to WiFi, you could stop by just about any common WiFi access point and do the map downloading there. There are some other Navigation apps available on Android Market, that you could use instead of Google Maps, but at some point, you still need to be connected to do the app and data downloads.

I apologize if I'm missing the point of what you are trying to do here. I hope it's not that you can't, or won't ever connect to WiFi, and that you just want to be able to navigate without having the WiFi connection while actually navigating. These suggestions should help you if you can connect at some point.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If you need true standalong GPS w/o Wifi ala Garmin Nuvi you need to look at some of the navigation packages. They will have a map database that loaded onto your TF. Google maps gets its map data via the network.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If you need true standalong GPS w/o Wifi ala Garmin Nuvi you need to look at some of the navigation packages. They will have a map database that loaded onto your TF. Google maps gets its map data via the network.

True, but you can also now download area maps from Google Maps for offline use.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I have tested map tiles catching navigation and it work fine. With a wifi connection choose your destination and let Navigations do it's thing, once it had calculate your route you can drive off away from the wifi connections and it will navigate you to your destination.
You just can't route new destination unless the destination is in the map tiles cache on your phone.
I have CoPilot live for off line nav and it work great.

rndman

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have tested map tiles catching navigation and it work fine. With a wifi connection choose your destination and let Navigations do it's thing, once it had calculate your route you can drive off away from the wifi connections and it will navigate you to your destination.
You just can't route new destination unless the destination is in the map tiles cache on your phone.
I have CoPilot live for off line nav and it work great.

So, CoPilot live when installed will work exactly like Garmin/Tomtom/Mio on the TF.

If that is the case it would be worth to spend that $5 (I guess it is $5)

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I installed the $10 version of CoPilot , and was hugely disappointed with it.

On the first destination I attempted, it routed me across our golf course on imaginary streets, and non-existent intersections. It also didn't have the 4 year old Costco in Raleigh in its list. When I tried a long distance route to a location in Michigan, I discovered it needs to be switched from region to region. Extremely clumsy arrangement. IMHO. It's not for me.

Since that adventure, I installed a competing application, Sygic, on my Droid X (their ASUS compatible version will be available in a few weeks, they say). That application passed muster with the same routings I had tried on CoPilot, with a more polished UI, and looks like a keeper for me.

Last edited:

rndman

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I installed the $10 version of CoPilot , and was hugely disappointed with it.

On the first destination I attempted, it routed me across our golf course on imaginary streets, and non-existent intersections. It also didn't have the 4 year old Costco in Raleigh in its list. When I tried a long distance route to a location in Michigan, I discovered it needs to be switched from region to region. Extremely clumsy arrangement. IMHO. It's not for me.

Since that adventure, I installed a competing application, Sygic, on my Droid X (their ASUS compatible version will be available in a few weeks, they say). That application passed muster with the same routings I had tried on CoPilot, with a more polished UI, and looks like a keeper for me.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I did a trial drive with Sygic tonight. It worked pretty well, and I do like the UI, but it does show bizarre flashing artifacts on the screen especially in 3D mode. Very annoying & distracting. I can get the same stuff to show just by moving the image on the screen with my finger.

This was on my Droid X, and maybe the problem is unique to that device, or my single unit. I have a question about it posted on the Sygic site. Also expecting their ASUS TF compatible version in a few weeks, and that will be the real test that will make or break it for me.

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your Co Pilot experiences. have no problems using it where I'm at. Even had it running same time as google navigation on my phone and it routed me on a new street which cut mile off my trip while google nav try to take me on the old longer route.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your Co Pilot experiences. have no problems using it where I'm at. Even had it running same time as google navigation on my phone and it routed me on a new street which cut mile off my trip while google nav try to take me on the old longer route.

It might be that the quality of the maps varies by locale, I suppose. In my area, the initial results I got were quite discouraging, as I described. I was really put off by the "region" restriction in the app, which requires you to exit the program and restart with a new region when you go outside the regional boundaries, so that I couldn't make a contiguous trip itinerary from North Carolina to Michigan, even though I had installed all of the required state maps to support it.

I bought the $10 version of CoPilot, and later noted the listings for the $5 Standard, and the $25 Premium versions. I'm wondering if my version is older, or actually functionally different in some way, other than the packages that are included with each edition. Assuming you are using the Standard or Premium version, do you also experience the boundary issue if you try to create a long distance route similar to the example I gave? If you do, I think I'll just give up on CoPilot. If you don't see that issue, I may buy the $5 standard one just to compare behavior and the quality of the maps.

UPDATE: The supense was killing me, so I bought the $5 Standard version, to compare it against the $10 version. There are night and day differences between them, with the Standard version having a much more elegant and helpful UI than the one I purchased yesterday. While functionaly limited, it didn't have the problem with Regions - I was able to load my NC to MI route with no problems. It also found the Costco in Raleigh. The only initial fail was that it still had the screwball non-existent streets in my immediate home area that the $10 version also did. Overall, though, I'm pretty impressed with the $5 Standard, and plan to do a real-world driving test with it tomorrow.

Android Market reviews for the Standard contain some very negative comments, mostly about the lack of features, but in fact, one can easily upgrade the app to the level of the Premium $25 version with a $5 and a $15 upgrade is you wish, and Copilot offers a comparison between the two versions, so I don't really understand all of the hate in those reviews. I would advise anyone to NOT purchase the obviously older and poor $10 version. Try the Standard Version and upgrade if you are happy with it.

Last edited: