wireless tether crackdown

Kyle L

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
With the recent crackdowns, will vzw see if i am tethering to an android TABLET running 3.2 with my Tbolt? I do not use wireless tether for much or than browsing and such...i have heard about them being able to detect a windows OS, but if i am running it on an android tablet will that raise red flags?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
With the recent crackdowns, will vzw see if i am tethering to an android TABLET running 3.2 with my Tbolt? I do not use wireless tether for much or than browsing and such...i have heard about them being able to detect a windows OS, but if i am running it on an android tablet will that raise red flags?

Well? be sure to let us know. :-!

Every once in a blue moon I reactivate my old Pre+ for its wireless tethering capabilities. I?m curious to know if the fact that it is a different OS, with very little user base, that it will go under the radar after iOS and Android start getting the hurt brought down on them.

-Suntan

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use wireless tether once in awhile from my rooted Fascinate to my transformer and have had no problems. SO FAR! If I could figure out how to use USB tether, I would. It took me a few weeks to figure out how to do it from the Fascinate to the transformer since Android seems to have some issue with Ad Hoc networks or (or something like that).

I do think the carriers will figure out how to stop this someday. :mad:

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
AT&T and VZ have started, again, to remove unlimited data and add tethering plans to people they catch tethering with out a plan.

There is no way for them to know if youre tethering. Unless they install some sort of software that secretly looks for root access and ad hoc networking on your phone. Until then there is no way to see how the data package is being used. Well unless you tell them that you tether...

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
There is no way for them to know if youre tethering. Unless they install some sort of software that secretly looks for root access and ad hoc networking on your phone. Until then there is no way to see how the data package is being used. Well unless you tell them that you tether...

Well I don't know where you are getting that info from, but I tried to tether on my Droid X this week. I am rooted and running a custom ROM. I could connect my laptop, but couldn't browse anywhere on the net. The next time I opened my browser on my phone it took me straight to a verizon page asking me to sign up for a tethering plan if I want to tether. I couldn't navigate away from the page and none of the data on my phone worked. I had to restart the phone to clear it.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

This is incorrect. I don't know how..but they "know"...

Morbo#AC

May 31, 2011
Visit site
This is just a guess, but based on info i found while researching tethering using EasyTether with my tmo phone a while back ...

I think one way they can tell is by the useragentstring when you try to hit a page. The user agent string includes the browser info and whether it is mobile vs desktop. I'm guessing that's the #1 way the carriers can tell other than to just notice big spikes in your data consumption.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
This is just a guess, but based on info i found while researching tethering using EasyTether with my tmo phone a while back ...

I think one way they can tell is by the useragentstring when you try to hit a page. The user agent string includes the browser info and whether it is mobile vs desktop. I'm guessing that's the #1 way the carriers can tell other than to just notice big spikes in your data consumption.

I doubt it is that. I have the user string for both my tablet and my phone set to desktop by default.

-Suntan

gil5784

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I use my rooted Photon 4g with wifi tether to tether my transformer and havent had any problems yet. I do like that Sprint has Unlimited Data, but i wouldnt be surprised if they follow At&t and Verizon and start puttng caps on Data plans.

KMyers

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Hello,
There is a technique called Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) that providers can use to try to determine if you are tethering. Ultimately however they will most likely crack down on those using more then a "reasonable" amount of data. I personally use around 18 GB per month on Sprint (but I did sign up for a tethering plan)​

mavd

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I've tethered my transformer to my thunderbolt a few times and haven't been caught yet. I don't go crazy on the data usage so hopefully I'm under their radar.

Reactions: Kyle L

mikesaimname

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
In gingerbread they put a file in (on VZW) that checks to see if you're tethering, and then checks to see if you have the plan.

Obviously you're rooted, so all you have to get is a file called "WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch_1.0.zip" and install it via recovery the same as any other rom or update...

It will remove that file and make it so they can't see what you're doing...

I don't know if it works on any other device, but its been working for awhile on my Droid X

MeshiaSamurai

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks mikesiamname, I was hesitant to root my DINC so I could tether it to my transformer till I read this post. I didn't want Verizon to lock me down for tethering without the plan. At least now I know that if I get the OTA for Gingerbread, there is a workaround.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital