New Owner/Member with some questions

END

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just got a 32GB Transformer for my wife's anniversary.

Questions- (wow so new to android where to start lol)

1. Does the transformer come with a Real manual in the box? (We only got a quick setup thing, nothing like the manual on Asus website)

2. How do we know when in marketplace what apps are optimized for a tablet?

3. Will the computer recognize the Transformer as a USB drive and we just move content to it, or is there another way we have to move files to it.

4. Scenario- Let's say we open web browser, then play a game, then read a book, then check email. We notice in the part where you can pull things up they are all still there. Are they off or do we have to manually shut them down?

5. Please suggest some reading sites/faq's etc about android, and honeycomb/transformer in particular.

Please be kind. I am sure these are noobish questions lol.

We have only used it for a few minutes, and then when reading the big manual saw they wanted it charged for 8 hours, so we wont be touching it till later today.

Thanks for any help!!
:)

Last edited:

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Just got a 32GB Transformer for my wife's anniversary.

Questions- (wow so new to android where to start lol)

1. Does the transformer come with a Real manual in the box? (We only got a quick setup thing, nothing like the manual on Asus website)

2. How do we know when in marketplace what apps are optimized for a tablet?

3. Will the computer recognize the Transformer as a USB drive and we just move content to it, or is there another way we have to move files to it.

4. Scenario- Let's say we open web browser, then play a game, then read a book, then check email. We notice in the part where you can pull things up they are all still there. Are they off or do we have to manually shut them down?

5. Please suggest some reading sites/faq's etc about android, and honeycomb/transformer in particular.

Please be kind. I am sure these are noobish questions lol.

We have only used it for a few minutes, and then when reading the big manual saw they wanted it charged for 8 hours, so we wont be touching it till later today.

Thanks for any help!!

First of all, welcome! These are not noobish questions. I will attempt to answer some of them for you.

1. It does not come with a real manual in the box...at least mine didn't. You will have to rely on the online version or sites like this to learn how to use it.

2. I don't know the answer to this one...maybe someone else does? I know some apps will say in their description if they are optimized for tablets.

3. The first time you plug it into your computer (I assume you are running windows) it will take a few minutes to install drivers and such. Then it will recognize your device as "Transformer" if you go to "computer". You can open that and you can just drag and drop files to the internal storage on the Transformer or to the SD card (if you have one installed).

4. You do not need to manually shut down all your apps. You can just leave them alone. They will just sit there idle until you pull them up again. They are not using any CPU or battery.

5. Android Central is where I come most often. You can also check out transformerforums.com for more information specific to the Transformer.

Hope this helps!

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
As for finding Honeycomb-optimized apps, the market app on the TF has a section that lists those; however I haven't found it very user-friendly. I found a web site called "www.tablified.com" that lists Honeycomb apps. The site isn't particularly well-developed, but it's a start. Apps are categorized and a few have been rated, but usually by only a few votes---if at all. I hope the site takes off, it's a good idea.

If you see an app you're interested in on the market, just download it. Even if it's not optimized for Honeycomb, it will run just fine. In some cases the UI may look a little funny, but it will work.

END

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies (we still have not used it, because have been at work all day and have to have them re-apply the screen protector, the bubbles are bad)

In the few minutes we used it last night we didn't see any place in the app marketplace that said anything about tablet optimized apps. Is it under some heading?

We did purchase one game - Bonzai Blast; and it runs a bit laggy which seems odd since it was made for phones and this is a Tegra2 device. Oh well, just 99 pennys lol.

I did find that other site last night for optimzed apps. It is a good idea, but I hope with ICS they will make the marketplace notate the apps a bit better in that regard.

Signed-

Hoping to actually use it tonight when we get home.The wifelet is very excited!!

**EDIT**
Just thought about this question-
What are everyone's thoughts on screen protectors, yay or nay?

We bought the Zagg invisible shield. At first we were not going to get any, since it is Gorrilla Glass and will be in a folio. We asked 3 BB employees two told us to get one, and one said it is not totally needed. When we got it and the woman was applying it, she said tablets can be a pain b.c of how big they are. She thew away the first one, and then did it a second time. We are thinking give it one more shot, and if it does not come out well, just go without it and save the 30.00. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i would say skip the screen protectors. i have owned two phones with gorilla glass, and they have nary a scratch on them, and a tablet wont go through nearly the daily rigors and potential for drops as a phone does

sheureka

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had my TF for months and have never hooked it up to my computer. I use DropBox for moving files - and have it on my phone, my tablet, and three different computers. Best free app ever. - sheureka

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I've had my TF for months and have never hooked it up to my computer. I use DropBox for moving files - and have it on my phone, my tablet, and three different computers. Best free app ever. - sheureka

I do the same thing, but when I copied some movies from my PC to my TF, it was sloooow. Routine file transfers are much more practical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol