Some questions before possible purchase...

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been wanting a Transformer ever since it was released in the US, and I just had a few questions mainly pertaining to its video performance and some honest answers would be greatly appreciated.

I was playing with a Transformer at my local Best Buy and I tried out a few different websites that I normally visit on my desktop. I wanted to see what its video performance would be like so I visited video heavy sites like CNN.com, and the dailyshow.com (The daily shows full episodes are flash video, one of the many reasons I want a transformer over an Ipad) However, at the Best Buy I think there wi fi was being overloaded as it took forever for any videos to load. Video performance seemed very choppy but I think that had to do with the lack of buffering due to the overloaded wi fi. Also, god knows how many apps this test unit was running at the same time with all the idiot customers messing with it, so the unit itself may have been severely slowed down. So in other words, I wasnt sure I was getting the experience of a Transformer that I would use right out of the box.

So can anyone tell me their personal experiences with videos on the Transformer? Particularly any choppy videos. Im talking all different kinds of video, youtube, flash videos on various websites, netflix, mpeg videos, SD and HD etc. I want to buy a Transformer today but I really dont want to return it for lousy performance. Thanks alot.

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
yep. out of the box it was choppy in hd, but i didnt see it once i updated to the latest version of honeycomb

Awesome thanks. The units at best buy probably arent running the newest software so that may be why they werent working too smooth. I wouldnt expect HD flash video to work too well, flash is a resource hog. But if I can get the daily show running decent on standard def thats perfectly fine with me, and something that the Ipad cant do.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Awesome thanks. The units at best buy probably arent running the newest software so that may be why they werent working too smooth. I wouldnt expect HD flash video to work too well, flash is a resource hog. But if I can get the daily show running decent on standard def thats perfectly fine with me, and something that the Ipad cant do.

in most cases they probably arent. i know when i went to BB to check out the transformer before i bought it, the notification for the update was just sitting on the tablet, waiting to be downloaded and installed

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Any item at any dealer can ask for an update. Not just at best buy. Their responsibility to update their demo products.

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

MeshiaSamurai

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any problems playing video at all on my Transformer. At least, not when I have a decent wifi connection.

Haven't tested netflix yet, because I haven't rooted. Anyone know of a method that will work with the latest version of 3.2?

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Youtube works great. Netflix is awesome. I even hook my Transformer to my tv through the hdmi port to watch netflix on my tv. I have a bunch of movies I put on the SD card for my daughter for long plane rides and they look great (mpeg). I haven't had a ton of experience playing flash videos within web pages, but from what I have done it seems to be decent. It obviously won't be nearly as good as your experience on the desktop, but it is ok.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Also... people have been touching it and opening up every app on the thing. I update them at best buy when I go in, too. Give the tablet a fresh restart and check it out. It really is silky smooth on a fresh boot (I also don't run many widgets... I think 5 total).

MeshiaSamurai

May 19, 2011
Visit site
You know, I haven't had any issues with flash videos anywhere on the net. Very comparable to my desktop, except that I have control over when flash content gets loaded, which is nice. I am using Dolphin Browser, and have heard other people say they have had better luck with this browser and flash content as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2