What do they mean by GPS?

noster420

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to get a Transformer and was wondering what they meant by GPS do they mean that it has a GPS built in like a car GPS and am able to find my location just about anywhere?

Another question, is gaming hard on the transformer due to the bigger bezel?

Thanks

Last edited:

leeshor

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
The GPS is not exactly like a car. By default the maps you may need won't be there. You can cache a route using the Google maps but your best bet is to purchase something like Sygic that will allow you to pre download maps..

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
It has real GPS hardware.
I use an offline GPS program called CoPilot. A free one called OSMand, but it is more for forest roads and such.

Kaizmuth

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed that if you put in your route and start the navigation while you are connected to wifi, it'll cache the entire route. Unless it needs to reroute you at some point.

MeshiaSamurai

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The GPS on the Transformer works great. It can find your geolocation just like a GPS unit you would buy for your car. Having the map data to actually make this feature useful is another matter.

There are several offline mapping apps. A great one was already mentioned; CoPilot. Or if you have a smartphone you can tether to while you are driving, then you can use a navigation app that requires data, like Google Navigation. However, when you lose data coverage, you lose navigation as well.