Constant random reboots since ICS

BlackJath

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So after changing the WiFi sleep settings I ended up having a couple of infinite reboot loops, but over the last several days I have only had regular old reboots while idle a couple of times. Not sure what I may or may not have changed to get this result, but I figured I would throw the information out there to add it to the mix...

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Huh - still no issues from mine since the HR - but after some of the other posts i feel like i am sitting on a ticking time bomb. Here's for hoping my luck sticks.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine is still having random reboots and freezing during them. Never heard back about my ASUS support request beyond the initial "we received your message" auto reply.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine is still having random reboots and freezing during them. Never heard back about my ASUS support request beyond the initial "we received your message" auto reply.

I have pretty much the same conditions, and also no response yet from ASUS since 2/28, but I'm not worrying about any of that anymore. They have acknowledged a problem, and said they are working on testing and releasing a fix, so I'm just in a wait and see mode, and keeping my TF on a charger or powered off whenever I expect to leave it idle for an extended period.

If it goes past next week without an update, I will really be concerned.

jwkenobi

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Question for all of you that have experienced problems since ICS upgrade --

If you had just purchased your tab, would you wait to do the upgrade to ICS?

Have there been any noticeable improvements to anything?

TIA!

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

TIA!

ICS runs a little smoother and there are some UI improvements, that I enjoy. The downside is the bugs which have made ICS a nightmare. If you haven't updated yet, then wait for Asus to fix it first. The bugs were so bad that I went through the trouble of downgrading back to HC.

Reactions: jwkenobi

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

TIA!

Yes, I would wait. If ASUS' comes through with an update as promised, it should be just days, or at worst a week, or two before a clean update is distributed. They have always.been good with previous bug fixes.

Yes, ICS is an improvement over HC, but not all that dramatic a change. I'm sticking with it mostly because I can use the Chrome beta browser, which I love, and also because I've never attempted a downgrade to the FW.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, ICS IS an improvement over HC, but not all that dramatic a change. I'm sticking with it mostly because I can use the Chrome beta browser, which I love, and also because I've never attempted a downgrade to the FW.

For me, ICS is a dramatic change. I have lots of widgets on most of my home screens and ICS has completely eliminated the stuttering and slow response I experienced with HC ... it's smooth as silk now and kills the last (and only) "advantage" my iPad user friends liked to crow about.

Also, the stock browser is MUCH faster (with no more white blocks while repainting), and there are dozens of little tweaks that make the user experience more pleasant.

That said, I've experienced a few of the random "black screen" issues and one reboot that left my docked Transformer batteries dead. Haven't found a pattern yet (it's relatively rare), but once Asus gets around to issuing a fix, ICS will be pure creamy goodness :)

jwkenobi

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies! I just got my tab yesterday, so I'm still figuring everything out. (I upgraded from the ViewSonic gTablet.) I haven't run *any* updates yet, and based on everything I have read thus far and the experiences y'all shared I am definitely going to wait.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the community - you definitely took a big step up from the gtablet - and i think you are wise for waiting on the update. Even with HC this is a great device - it has served us all well for 6 months - and will work just fine a while longer.

Azman432

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
ICS runs a little smoother and there are some UI improvements, that I enjoy. The downside is the bugs which have made ICS a nightmare. If you haven't updated yet, then wait for Asus to fix it first. The bugs were so bad that I went through the trouble of downgrading back to HC.

So how do you downgarde back to HC. I did my HR and when the TF reboot, it wnt backstraight into ICS. Anyway, I'm liking the ICS much better with the folder option, dication in polaris office (beter), app killer, smoother browsing. I am really counting on Asus to expedite the update / bug fix. I've beene xperienceing at least onec everyday random reboot. But the reboot just shuts down the tablet and no longer stuck before the home screeen. So it just dies off and no draining teh battery. Of course apps that are runnning liek alarm no longer works while it is off.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So how do you downgarde back to HC.

1. root with ViperMod PrimeTime using option 1
2. Install CWM recovery using Rom Manager
3. Boot into recovery and install the official Asus zip file for V8.6.5.21
4. Reboot holding volume down and choose change mode(select wipe data option)

That's it, back to fresh install of HC

Azman432

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
1. root with ViperMod PrimeTime using option 1
2. Install CWM recovery using Rom Manager
3. Boot into recovery and install the official Asus zip file for V8.6.5.21
4. Reboot holding volume down and choose change mode(select wipe data option)

That's it, back to fresh install of HC

Thanks. Sound complicated.

hockeyhippie

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My TF-101 is totally dead now. :( The ICS rebooting came back yesterday and this morning it got into a reboot loop where it would start up and reboot from the startup screen...after 4-5 times of this I held down the power button to try to get it to shut down and now it won't start up at all.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
My TF-101 is totally dead now. :( The ICS rebooting came back yesterday and this morning it got into a reboot loop where it would start up and reboot from the startup screen...after 4-5 times of this I held down the power button to try to get it to shut down and now it won't start up at all.

Do you have it plugged in?

hockeyhippie

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's plugged in. Not sure what I did differently but it finally responded to the power button after an hour trying. I immediately forced a check for the firmware update and it's installing it now... whew! Hope that helps!

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey! It's 6:15pm on the US east coast and my EeePad just performed an update! I now have Build Number IML74K.US_epad-9.2.1.17-20123012. I don't know if that is a different number than the first ICS update but that's what I have now. I hope it fixes the problems!

Reactions: rpscott02

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I just checked in Texas and there is a firmware update available! I'm downloading now. I will reply back whether or not it fixes anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol