TF101 ICS Update Issues

tomthorp

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Here is a response I got from Asus Technical Support regarding some of the talked about issues with the ICS update.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

Not every tablet will receive the firmware upgrade notice. Some users should upgrade manually.
For manual download:

From your PC you will need a micro SD card
1. Go to http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Eee+Pad+Transformer+TF101&p=20&s=16
2. Select Android OS
3. Download Version V9.2.1.11 (WW) from the Global server
4. Unzip and save to desired location.
5. You should see a folder called 'ASUS'
6. Copy entire ASUS folder to root level of SD card
7. Remove SD card from PC and insert to into Transformer TF101
8. Bottom of screen in notification area next to clock you will see and update.

Currently we're trying to release the fix version for the problem caused by ICS.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Kevin
ASUS Customer Service

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Their response reads like instructions they would send to someone who has been unable to OTA the ICS update, and needs this alternative method. The version they ask you to install, V9.2.1.11, is the same one that they OTA'd last week, except we got the US version here.

Their last line "Currently we're trying to release the fix version for the problem caused by ICS." has to be in anticipation of another future update to address the ICS related problems. I guess that is good news for us in that it appears to be an acknowledgement that have identified ICS has problems, and they are committed to a future update, beyond V9.2.1.11 to resolve.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What would be nice is if they had a way to just flash an older firmware in case you run into problems with an update.

leeshor

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
A patch is expected some time next week. The problem was evidently traced to an issue with the Tegra driver conflicting with a few current or possibly even uninstalled apps

sbhnet

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Their response reads like instructions they would send to someone who has been unable to OTA the ICS update, and needs this alternative method. The version they ask you to install, V9.2.1.11, is the same one that they OTA'd last week, except we got the US version here.

The US version is on the website, I'm downloading it now. I'll let you know how the upgrade goes! Fingers crossed!!

sbhnet

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
The US version is on the website, I'm downloading it now. I'll let you know how the upgrade goes! Fingers crossed!!

Well, first there was no ASUS folder, and browsing the SD card gave me no ideas as to how to force it to update. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open!!

gonneau

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Peut on faire la manip en branchant la transformers directement au pc et ainsi copier le firmware dans le dossier asus ?

sbhnet

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, first there was no ASUS folder, and browsing the SD card gave me no ideas as to how to force it to update. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open!!

SUCCESS!! I had been using a micro SD card in an SD adapter and putting that into the SD slot in the keyboard dock. If it recognized it as an update file, I missed it. When I put the micro SD card into the actual Transformer, it recognized it as an update and installed it. Woo Hoo!!

Last edited:

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
SUCCESS!! I had been using a micro SD card in an SD adapter and putting that into the SD slot in the keyboard dock. If it recognized it as an update file, I missed it. When I put the micro SD card into the actual Transformer, it recognized it as an update and installed it. Woo Hoo!!

Congratulations. Did you just put the downloaded ZIP file in the root directory, or to an ASUS folder? When I extracted the downloaded file, it showed another ZIP directory embedded within it, and when I extracted that file, I saw seven files - no ASUS directory.

Also curious if you can tell us what the Build Number shows after the update? Perhaps you can snap a pic of the Settings/About screen and post that here.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I finally got the update to install, by putting the extracted ZIP file (US_epad-user-9.2.11.zip) in the root directory of the microsd card, and rebooting, but unfortunately, IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME VERSION THAT WAS DISTRIBUTED BY OTA LAST WEEK.

I verified all of the version levels against what was previously installed, and nothing changed.

It will help those who are trying to get to ICS from Honeycomb, but I'm afraid it isn't the update we are expecting to resolve the ICS issues.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations. Did you just put the downloaded ZIP file in the root directory, or to an ASUS folder? When I extracted the downloaded file, it showed another ZIP directory embedded within it, and when I extracted that file, I saw seven files - no ASUS directory.

Also curious if you can tell us what the Build Number shows after the update? Perhaps you can snap a pic of the Settings/About screen and post that here.

You can just put the main downloaded ZIP file in the root directory. Recovery will extract everything for you.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
You can just put the main downloaded ZIP file in the root directory. Recovery will extract everything for you.

Yes, thanks. I did that, but the updated installed version is the same as what we already have. I was hoping that the date shown on the site might mean there was a new build, representing a new update with fixes for the ICS issues, but I ended up with no change. Mine still shows as IML74K.US-epad-9.2.1.11-20120221. Is that what you have on yours?

Last edited:

sbhnet

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
It was just a matter of a few hours after I upgraded - I now have a brick. I thought it was sleeping, but it's dead. :-(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

sbhnet

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
It was just a matter of a few hours after I upgraded - I now have a brick. I thought it was sleeping, but it's dead. :-(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Spoke too soon. I found a post on another forum that said I had to hold the power button for almost 15 seconds. It powered up! So add me to the list of f folks waiting on "the fix".

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Spoke too soon. I found a post on another forum that said I had to hold the power button for almost 15 seconds. It powered up! So add me to the list of f folks waiting on "the fix".

Glad to know that your TF is back from the dead. I was driving around and out at dinner with family, and couldn't post the power button thing to you.

This was the first time I needed to install from a local file on the TF, rather than OTA, and even though it was a waste as far as getting an ICS upgrade, it was worth the time just to get the process down.

The instructions that were provided to the OP on this thread I think were really off the mark, and had me spinning my wheels for some time, so I think I will list the steps I ended up (by trial and error) having to use to do the upgrade. If I'm mistaken on any of this, don't hesitate to let me know.

1. Download the file from the ASUS server to your PC.

2. Double-click to open the downloaded file, in this instance it was titled <US_epaduser9_2_1_11UpdateLauncher.zip> (the TF would not respond to this file directly)

3. Winzip will display a Zip file embedded in the downloaded file, in this case named <US_epad-user-9.2.1.11.zip> (this file is the one that the TF utlitized to install the update)

4. Move the microsd card from the TF into the PC (or put it on an SDcard adapter, if necessary), and copy the embedded zip file from the last step to the root of the microsd card.

5. Properly eject the device from Windows and remove from the PC.

6. Insert the microsd card back into the TF, power up and reboot. It will detect and report the presence of the upgrade available on the TF.

7. Follow the instructions on the TF to complete the upgrade.

Last edited:

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Glad to know that your TF is back from the dead. I was driving around and out at dinner with family, and couldn't post the power button thing to you.

This was the first time I needed to install from a local file on the TF, rather than OTA, and even though it was a waste as far as getting an ICS upgrade, it was worth the time just to get the process down.

The instructions that were provided to the OP on this thread I think were really off the mark, and had me spinning my wheels for some time, so I think I will list the steps I ended up (by trial and error) having to use to do the upgrade. If I'm mistaken on any of this, don't hesitate to let me know.

1. Download the file from the ASUS server to your PC.

2. Double-click to open the downloaded file, in this instance it was titled <UpdateLauncher_US_epaduser8_6_5_21.zip> (the TF would not respond to this file directly)

3. Winzip will display a Zip file embedded in the downloaded file, in this case named <US_epad-user-8.65.21.zip> (this file is the one that the TF utlitized to install the update)

4. Move the microsd card from the TF into the PC (or put it on an SDcard adapter, if necessary), and copy the embedded zip file from the last step to the root of the microsd card.

5. Properly eject the device from Windows and remove from the PC.

6. Insert the microsd card back into the TF, power up and reboot. It will detect and report the presence of the upgrade available on the TF.

7. Follow the instructions on the TF to complete the upgrade.

I had a different experience. My TF was able to load the update directly from the original downloaded zip file. It seems like there are many variables from device to device.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
That's interesting. Was your update using the file currently on the ASUS support site? If it was, I may go back and try that again.

I had been struggling with their instructions, and the confusion over the alleged ASUS folder, so I may have had my hands crossed on my failed attempt with the original file.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I had a different experience. My TF was able to load the update directly from the original downloaded zip file. It seems like there are many variables from device to device.

I retried the original downloaded file <US_epaduser9_2_1_11UpdateLauncher.zip> on my TF, but no go - it just ignored it, as it had previously. I haven't a clue what the difference is between our tablets, but mine will only respond to the ZIP file <US_epad-user-9.2.1.11.zip>, that I extracted from the downloaded ZIP file.

Last edited: