TF101 ICS Update Issues

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine has hung a few times - either powered off or just hung on a blank screen. It hasn't yet done this overnight, though, and holding the power button down for 10 or so seconds boots it back up. No other issues.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been running 54 hours now without a reboot and I haven't tried any fix.

And to think that just a few days ago we were comparing notes, and the similarity of our TF failures.

Might I ask if you can tell me what you didn't do to fix your problem, so that I can't do it too?:-!

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
And to think that just a few days ago we were comparing notes, and the similarity of our TF failures.

Might I ask if you can tell me what you didn't do to fix your problem, so that I can't do it too?:-!

Well, after 74 hours of running well... today I decided to search for a game in TegraZone. Less than an hour later I got a reboot. Either it was really random or that app is a problem. It was the first time I used that app since my reinstall.

electric1

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Got latest ICS update and disabled Tegra Zone, but still had random reboots. So, following some people's swearing that factory reset is the fix, did that last night, wiped everything clean, no restores, reinstalled minimum set of apps clean, disabled tegra zone again, etc etc. Tablet was squeaky clean as of last night... 12 hours later rebooted again during sleep.

Its probably obvious, but there is an uptime counter in settings/about menu, so you can easily see if your tablet rebooted recently. I'll be watching it, but its already clear that nothing fixes it for me.

ASUS people, if you read this, you suck!!!!

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Got latest ICS update and disabled Tegra Zone, but still had random reboots. So, following some people's swearing that factory reset is the fix, did that last night, wiped everything clean, no restores, reinstalled minimum set of apps clean, disabled tegra zone again, etc etc. Tablet was squeaky clean as of last night... 12 hours later rebooted again during sleep.

Its probably obvious, but there is an uptime counter in settings/about menu, so you can easily see if your tablet rebooted recently. I'll be watching it, but its already clear that nothing fixes it for me.

ASUS people, if you read this, you suck!!!!

I feel your pain and have the exact issues you do with this tablet... However I'm going to give Asus a pass for now. Have you not read other forums and the reports of ICS on other tablets.. The Xoom for one example? I think this is possibly a bad scenario for the fragementation of Android. It appears to me..that this could be a watershed moment for the Android OS in general. If this is somehow not resolved across platforms, the entire android operating system may be remembered as a flash in the pan. This may be a testimony to the walled garden of Apple-no way this kind of issue would last long with the Apple IOS. Let's not even mention windows mobile...they must be licking their chops looking at this ICS begazzo. Google as a lot of clout behind it, but this is clearly not an Asus issue as much as an Android issue. I hope this is not the death knell for the Android OS.. Only time will tell

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
...Have you not read other forums and the reports of ICS on other tablets.. The Xoom for one example? ...

Actually, no, I have to admit I've been focused on the TF, and the issues continuously since ICS was released.
I did read a ZDNET article a few days ago regarding of instability of Google's own apps, outlining some of the aberrant behavior I've seen with Gmail, which closely matched my own observations, but that's about it.

Are you saying that similar problems are being reported on other tablets?

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Here's my problems since the last two ICS updates:
1. Each time I go to turn it on from sleep mode, I have to hold the power button in, till it reboots itself , cause the normal touch of the button doesn't do it.

2. The battery doesn't hold but only for a few hours on the tablet, and the keyboard dock drains down within two to four hours. Without the ICS updates I was able to go at least 20 hrs.

That's my complaints.....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I ran around 74 hours with no problems then rebooted after using TegraZone. Now I'm 34 hours no problem since then and I'm not touching TegraZone...will see how long this lasts.

It seems the ICS problems are more severe for some and not so much for others. This has me thinking that there are probably some apps which trigger the flaws in ICS and causing the reboots.

The only major problem I'm facing right now is wifi stops working when tablet sleeps...so I have to turn if off/on to get it going again.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Here's my problems since the last two ICS updates:
1. Each time I go to turn it on from sleep mode, I have to hold the power button in, till it reboots itself , cause the normal touch of the button doesn't do it.

2. The battery doesn't hold but only for a few hours on the tablet, and the keyboard dock drains down within two to four hours. Without the ICS updates I was able to go at least 20 hrs.

That's my complaints.....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

While my battery life is no where near bad as yours...I do have to say that my battery life was a little better on HC.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually, no, I have to admit I've been focused on the TF, and the issues continuously since ICS was released.
I did read a ZDNET article a few days ago regarding of instability of Google's own apps, outlining some of the aberrant behavior I've seen with Gmail, which closely matched my own observations, but that's about it.

Are you saying that similar problems are being reported on other tablets?

Ck this out:

Random Reboots seems to be not just a transformer problem but a ICS problem

Reactions: vicw926a4

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty happy with the initial ICS update but after this most recent one I have noticed two main things.

1 - I get A LOT of scroll lag in both the stock browser and Chrome

2 - While using the Youtube app and other areas, I get some crazy graphical distortions on the screen. Its like the a large triangle of the screen goes all crazy with random colors etc.

Very troubled about the second issue. Im going to try a wipe tonight and see how that does...:'(

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty happy with the initial ICS update but after this most recent one I have noticed two main things.

1 - I get A LOT of scroll lag in both the stock browser and Chrome

2 - While using the Youtube app and other areas, I get some crazy graphical distortions on the screen. Its like the a large triangle of the screen goes all crazy with random colors etc.

Very troubled about the second issue. Im going to try a wipe tonight and see how that does...:'(

Lol...lucky you. I'd be happy with that

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for sharing that link. I just now discovered your response to me. That Motorola discussion is fascinating - I admire the fact that they are engaged with their customers on the issue, something that ASUS so far has failed to do. I just jumped out of bed at 2am after scanning it, to install the Wake Lock app, and pulled off the charger.

We'll see if it survives the night, if it keeps the TF out of Deep Sleep, and most importantly, if it prevents the reboots. I'm also tracking battery drain to see how badly that will be impacted.

Of course it will take some time to demonstrate if it will be a viable workaround for the problem for me.

I think the good news overall is that this could point back to the OS itself, and the fact that it may be impacting multiple manufacturers and their customers should intensify the pressure for a resolution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Great sign that ASUS has started to communicate more openly on this issue. Since installing and starting the Wake Lock app, my TF ran through the short night, off the charger, with the Wake Lock app running. It did prevent Deep Sleep, with 216mhz prevaling through the night.

Idle battery drain appears to have increased somewhat, as expected, from the 0.2-0.3%/hr to 0.86%/hr, but that was a pretty short sample time of 6.5 hours, and I was recording with the catlog app during that cycle, which probably contributed a bit to the drain. I'll try it again tonight, without logcat running and continue to monitor.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Use of the Wake Lock app as a workaround to prevent the TF from going into Deep Sleep, and consequently avoiding Reboots is continuing to be promising, at least for the first 30 hours, but it will take several more days before I consider it demonstrated as successful.

Following the suggestions from the Motorola discussion, I set the Partial_Wake_Lock option and enabled Acquire Release Lock. As soon as the top bar changes from Red to Green and a message shows that it has been acquired, I back out of the app, and go about my business.

The app doesn't enable and restart itself after a reboot, so I need to remember that if I do a boot, or if the TF boots itself (hopefully it won't), I then need to run Wake Lock again. No big deal, it's just easy to forget.

I'm monitoring with the cpuspy app to make sure there is no Deep Sleep activity, and the Reboot Logger app to capture accurate time stamps on any reboots that occur. I haven't noticed any issues running the TF with the app running in the background.

Idle mode battery depletion while Wake Lock is active continues to be about 0.9-1.0% per hour, quite a bit higher than the 0.2-0.3%/hr I experienced without the app. If it will continue to stabilize my system, I can live with that increase, until ASUS/Google release a fix for the problem.

At this moment, I'm cautiously optimistic for the first time in weeks.

Last edited:

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So, I've decided to use TegraZone again today to see if it was really the cause of my last reboot...so far all good. My TF has been running for over 98 hours now. I really have not clue why the reboots happend and then suddenly went away.

I'm still tired of having to turn wifi off/on to get it going again after sleep...almost want to go back to HC just because of that.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So, I've decided to use TegraZone again today to see if it was really the cause of my last reboot...so far all good. My TF has been running for over 98 hours now. I really have not clue why the reboots happend and then suddenly went away.

I'm still tired of having to turn wifi off/on to get it going again after sleep...almost want to go back to HC just because of that.

Were you ever able to make a correlation between WiFi off/on vs the reboots? Seems that different devices/configurations behave a bit differently. I still had the reboots with WiFi off, but I've had success, so far, using the Wake Lock app.