Wild Hair: considering selling my TF and dock for a Nexus 7

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Looking for thoughts on this - sometimes I really wish my tablet was smaller - but I also love how the TF has replaced my netbook and laptop for just about everything.

I really like the idea of having a Nexus Device - my son has a pretty sweet rooted and rommed Nook and I love the form factor.

Basically, if the N7 had a card slot it would be a no brainer

-looking for thought/ opinions / cold water

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 7 does look sweet. I personally couldn't leave the functionality of the Transformer though. I would miss the keyboard, mouse, USB and SD expansion, plus the extra battery life. I have also used a 7" tablet before and didn't like the form factor. I thought it was too small but that's personal preference.

If I were to consider the Nexus7 it would be in addition to my TF101 because I see them serving different purposes.

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I went through the same dilemma as you.

I have the TF101 and love the form factor and functionaility. My buddy has a 7" tablet and after playing a few games on it, thought I might need a 7" tablet instead. Then the news of the Nexus came out and I figured, yep, I need that. However, after doing some recent gaming on the TF101 again and the fact that there is no expandability ont he Nexus as far as local storage (and 16GB is too little for me - I am constantly deleting on my 16GB TF101), I opted against the Nexus and go the TF700. best decision I ever made. I absolutely love the TF700 and am so glad I went that route.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Pretty close to pulling the trigger on this. I am really trying to lighten and shrink my everyday bag.

I do love my TF but with the epic battery life comes epic weight.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

sheureka

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have both - and I now use the TF around the house and take the N7 out. They really have completely different niches in my world. I'm selling one of my laptops because I never use it. - sheureka

n3vry

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I also have both, and pretty much do the same. I take the Nexus 7 with me most of the time, but I still use the TF101 at home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have BOTH.

I'm pretty new to Android in general, even though I've been in IT for a couple decades plus. I gave up desktops as my main system (except for audio and video editing - my "side job") over 10 years for Notebooks; and BTW Notebooks or PC's in anything Biz related AIN'T gonna happen in the foreseeable future from my IT prospective - at home Notebooks will rule.

My first true "tablet" was in 2002, a Gateway 11" with a special "Tablet version" of Windows XP, a Touch Screen, Handwriting Recognition, Stylus "touch LCD" screen, on-screen keyboard and a real HDD with lots of ports. So much for CrApple's claim of being the first Tablet!

I got my TF101A w/KB Dock in Novmeber (Black Friday), added a 32GM MicroSD card and am happy as a clam other then the Corrupted ICS 4.01 update that creamed my Transformer! Now I BU my Apps/Data. I adore it's "transforming" adaptability, something the iFAD never had or has. Yea, some of the Execs I have in the company have to have their cliche iFADs, but they envy quietly my TF101 w/KB Dock.

When the Google Nexus 7 was announced, I was intrigued. I'd looked at other far more expensive 7 or 8" Tabs and that just didn't make sense for the form-factor (Small). At $195 (minus a $5 off coupon at Staples) i pulled the trigger and bought a 8GB. IT'S A POCKETISH SIZED Communications / Information / PIM / PDA / minor Entertainment device .... NOT a replacement for a "full size" tablet, especially one that "Transforms"!

I have some IT apps on my Nexus 7, all my email, txt, Skype, Voice and chat accounts on it. Some news reader apps, especially ones for Android and IT news. Pics of my family and grandkids. Video player to watch movies or TV shows off my VPN and Cloud service. A voice to txt notepad to auto emails it and NO Word Processing apps! (that's where the TF101 glows. With Cloud services used well, 8GB is just FINE and $195 is just GREAT.

I LOVE :-* Both of my Tablets! I could live without either the ASUS Transformer or the (ASUS) Google Nexus 7. Period. :) :D

Ps - I have had NONE of the major bugs reported on the many Hate Android "news" sites, except for the screen does lift up ever so slightly (.005mm) on one long side, and the screen back-light occasional flicker which is due to the "Auto Brightness" setting. Turn that off and NO Flicker. I'm sure ASUS / Google will patch that at some point.

flagtrax

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the tf300t 32gb with doc and wifey has the nexus7 32gb. I retired from the business after 30 years but try to stay actively involved. After starting back when the intel 8080 ruled, and S-100 was THE buss; there was no "dos" but cpm was around, I've gone through a whole lot of changes. Tablets are a whole new breed (to me), but I agree this seems to be the wave of the future, for better or worse.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the tf300t 32gb with doc and wifey has the nexus7 32gb. I retired from the business after 30 years but try to stay actively involved. After starting back when the intel 8080 ruled, and S-100 was THE buss; there was no "dos" but cpm was around, I've gone through a whole lot of changes. Tablets are a whole new breed (to me), but I agree this seems to be the wave of the future, for better or worse.

I have both the TF300T 32GB w/keyboard dock and the Nexus 7 32GB and I love them both. The portability of the 7 is great, while the at-home flexibility of the TF is perfect for my needs. Tablets really are the wave of the future. There are still some functions that I definitely need my laptop for. But that list is getting shorter as tablet apps and Android systems continue to improve.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Looking for thoughts on this - sometimes I really wish my tablet was smaller - but I also love how the TF has replaced my netbook and laptop for just about everything.

I really like the idea of having a Nexus Device - my son has a pretty sweet rooted and rommed Nook and I love the form factor.

Basically, if the N7 had a card slot it would be a no brainer

-looking for thought/ opinions / cold water

There are also several cover/keyboard (bluetooth) combos available for the 7.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm