Engadget Review of Transformer

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
All things apple get a full point curve on Engadget, but that doesn't mean all of their writers are idiots. The main gripes he had were software related, the hardware side is mainly the reflectiveness (which he said the ipads suffered from as well) which is expected I guess. Other than that, a lack of a notification light...which I wasn't even thinking about until he pointed out it wasn't there.

So basically, the Transformer is the android tab to have and will get better once google irons out HC.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
That video where they showed the browser performance was awful. My Evo does a better job with pinch-to-zoom.

I just tried zooming in and out of the engadget page on my Xoom and it is buttery smooth. I hope they just had an early release of the software or something. If that is final software then Asus mucked with something.

acegamer

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Check out this youtube review for a different experience. NOne of the lag issues talked about in the Endgadget review show up in the video. Makes me seriously think about returning my Xoom for it. Although I already love my Xoom. Have 10 days left on my return window...mmmmm....

youtube review

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I had a Xoom for 2 weeks before returning it in preparation for the Transformer. You could get it to slow down and lag pretty bad on the browser too if you didn?t reboot periodically.

The reality is that all of these 3.0 tablets will likely have the same performance and need for the ol? reboot every so often. Hopefully google gets some optimizations going in short order.

-Suntan

Liberati0n

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Watch out for the lag part, the guy is clearly using 3-4 fingers during his pinch to zoom and yeah, I would think the 2 extra fingers moving around confuses the tablet as to what you are doing.

I have noticed that this always happens in Engadget reviews, the experience in comparison to the real deal is very different.

@Suntan, I would say a majority of Xoom users don't have problems with having to reboot every couple of days, but then again maybe most of us just don't see the need for our Xoom to be on 24/7, I literally wake up, turn on Xoom and go take a piss and come back and Xoom is ready to rock.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
@Suntan, I would say a majority of Xoom users don't have problems with having to reboot every couple of days,

Yeah, the Xoom is immune... :-!

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-xoom/76895-doing-anything-xoom-has-become-chore.html

Anyway, sorry you thought I was being disrespectful to your new toy. The reality is that if you use it for a period of time (couple days with light use, less than a day with heavy use) it will slow down. A reboot, or from the sounds of it a power cycle, will clear it up.

In any case, that was my direct experience with it, and I would assume all the other 3.0 tablets will be similar.

but then again maybe most of us just don't see the need for our Xoom to be on 24/7,

"You're holding it wrong." Sure.

-Suntan

acegamer

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think you misunderstood his post. He was actually agreeing that rebooting the xoom every few days is necessary to maintain fast operation but saying that most users probably don't have a problem with having to do that. I've started rebooting mine every few days and it isn't a big deal to me.

Dexter73

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Whenever people compare the price of the IPad 2 and other tablets they never mention that you have to buy a separate HDMI adapter and a camera adapter to get files from an SD card. The costs of therese items never get factored in.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Whenever people compare the price of the IPad 2 and other tablets they never mention that you have to buy a separate HDMI adapter and a camera adapter to get files from an SD card. The costs of therese items never get factored in.

No, actually you don't "have" to buy any of those. People have to sync to iTunes for everything so they simply dump everything on to their computer. Yes, sure they could use the camera kit if they want, but by no means is it a must. It's a choice iPad owners have, it's a option, not a must buy item. That is why you can't just add in that cost for everyone. I owned both iPad 1 and 2. Never purchased either Camera or HDMI dongle. Simply not needed for how I used the device. Everything from movies to pictures, music and contacts have been sync via iTunes and Mobileme for several years. I plug in the iPad overnight and let it sync/charge etc.. Never had the need in the field that had to have a picture instantly on my iPad, and if I did.. email it to myself. Done.

And if I really wanted to share photo's and movies, music etc.. to my HDTV, I would spend 100 on an Apple TV 2 vs dragging a HDMI cable across the room. Airplay works rather well for sharing that type of media.

Now that I have those options built into the Xoom, and soon to be swapped for the Transformer. It will be nice to have those options, but that's not at all why I am buying theses tablets. Honeycomb is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer