Worst launch ever?

Worst launch ever?

• Total voters

richardschris

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
So who else thinks this has got to be one of the worst device launches ever?
Asus said the transformer would come out on the 26th and gave us a list of retailers, they did not however mention that the majority of those retailers wouldnt be getting the transformer (im looking at you best buy.)
So it seems to me the only people lucky enough to get this great tablet were those who were able to stay up until 2 A.M and hit the order button by 2:05.
Anyone else agree?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Not a big deal. I have my order in and it will ship when it gets in stock. I am not someone that would camp out at a Apple store for the newest chunk of tech.

BigTex

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
EPIC FAIL

So who else thinks this has got to be one of the worst device launches ever?
Asus said the transformer would come out on the 26th and gave us a list of retailers, they did not however mention that the majority of those retailers wouldnt be getting the transformer (im looking at you best buy.)
So it seems to me the only people lucky enough to get this great tablet were those who were able to stay up until 2 A.M and hit the order button by 2:05.
Anyone else agree?

They blew a chance to generate a ton of BUZZ from happy owners of the Transformer....

ds2dale

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The quality of the launch really depends on your point of view. From the techie, su, fully gadget-ted nerd (actually, one of us...) the launch sucks because there weren't enough of 'em. But, from ASUS's point of view, it's an incredibly great launch because they sold out in minutes and there was no advertising at all.... Maybe even enough to turn a really marginal profit/loss situation into enough of a profit to bankroll the next batch. ;^/

Reactions: FHSPSU67

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I think this launch was to make the early adopters happy, and to give Asus a tiny bit of breathing room while they ramp up production. I think they were taken by surprise with the demand, and it's taking them a little time to catch up.

Once they do, I suspect we'll see tons of inventory all over the place, and sales to match. Forever, analysts and such have been arguing that Apple owns the tablet market because they're able to sell the iPad 2 at $499. Okay, so, by that logic, the Transformer should make a killing at $399.

When will supply finally catch up? I have no idea. It depends entirely on what the holdup is--if it's just that Asus underestimated demand, then it should happen pretty quickly. If there's some component that's in short supply because of the Japan earthquake, however, the who knows.

axoid

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the vapor sale, where we sell products that we don’t have.

I think this has the makings of a small scandal. Handing out eval units to reviewers and generating a bit of buzz about the product and then on release day having few to no units to actually sell. Even Apple doesn’t screw up this big.

Of course thing are not much better for the other Honeycomb tables from what I saw today. The over priced Xoon is hidden way with the netbooks while the iPad has a big display out front. Meanwhile the poor Acer Iconia, that was released two days ago, is still in the back of the store and isn’t on display at all.

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I think people are making too big a deal out of this, the launch was fine. Asus told us when it would be available. Did they go all out and have commercials, lots of advertising and pre-orders? No, but they don't need to. They never once said it would be available for pre-order at any time, they just said it's coming and they would tell us when. They told us, and told us that was the day it would be available. End of story.

Reactions: FHSPSU67

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the vapor sale, where we sell products that we don?t have.

I think this has the makings of a small scandal.

Hardly. More like, the nerds on the net are unhappy that we can?t make more of them.

I didn?t see a big flyer on the BB weekly claiming to have them, nor Staples, etc. Most people that don?t comb the net for tech gadgets have no idea the thing even exists.

They announced the date that US shipments would begin. They didn?t write you a custom signed guarantee that you would be able to get one on your way home from work.

Chill out people.

-Suntan

QuantamPulse

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hardly. More like, the nerds on the net are unhappy that we can’t make more of them.

I didn’t see a big flyer on the BB weekly claiming to have them, nor Staples, etc. Most people that don’t comb the net for tech gadgets have no idea the thing even exists.

They announced the date that US shipments would begin. They didn’t write you a custom signed guarantee that you would be able to get one on your way home from work.

Chill out people.

-Suntan

Incorrect. ASUS made it a point to give a list of vendors that would have the device on launch date and the fact is that a good numbder of those vendors have not received a single physical unit, online / instore or otherwise.

Even some of the ones that did accept orders did not actually receive their stock in order to fill them.

DroidCake

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hardly. More like, the nerds on the net are unhappy that we can?t make more of them.

I didn?t see a big flyer on the BB weekly claiming to have them, nor Staples, etc. Most people that don?t comb the net for tech gadgets have no idea the thing even exists.

They announced the date that US shipments would begin. They didn?t write you a custom signed guarantee that you would be able to get one on your way home from work.

Chill out people.

-Suntan

I think the line is blurred here. The announcement was that starting today a specific list of retailers would be carrying it. Sure there is no guarantee that everyone would be able to get one but Asus was vague about the difference between online retailers and local stores. So far not one local store in asus list has or had any in stock and the majority of them have no ETA or evidence of an order from the manufacturer in their system.

So the fact that people are getting agro about the lack of stock on one had is a little silly but on the other can be justified. Loyalty to brand is a big thing when it comes to tech and with how fickle people are these days you have one chance to get them aboard. Specially for non tech people who think Dell, Sony and the big advertised tech manufacturers are the only ones worth owning. Someone like Asus needs to be careful about new products that could go big in this market with the section of the public that are unaware of them.

I'm sitting back with my popcorn watching this all go down knowing that some will pop up in some local stores which is when I'll grab one. Entertaining to see how the tech community keeps the information flowing. Asus are you watching?

~DC

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn?t see a big flyer on the BB weekly claiming to have them

-Suntan

Not exactly but it was on their main page this morning under HOT NEW ITEMS with a link that doesn't work.

Personally, I went through the hype with the Dinc and Tbolt so I was prepared to wait.

anon(18050)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Launches are just as overrated as unboxing videos. (Thank you apple for both of these over-hyped phenomenon)

Yes it's nice to have that new tech on launch day, but to me personally it means absolutely nothing. I'm just as excited get a new piece of tech 3 months after it comes out as I am getting it on launch day.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Nothing like something you can't have right now to make you want one tomorrow.

Granted, the launch was frustrating from a customer perspective, and I didn't get mine, despite being up most of the night trying, but I'm pleased that this unique tablet has demonstrated that there is a significant market for a tablet that can double as a small laptop, despite little or no advertising or marketing, and having been ignored almost entirely in the tech media. The enthusiastic customer reception for the product should assure that it will not become and orphan, and should enjoy good support. I can't wait for some of the buzz that I think will come as units are used and discussed in the wild.

It's the only laptop I have even slightly considered buying, and this little delay in getting one hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for it a bit.

marcjac

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me there's a trend lately with tablet launches. Regardless of whether they're hyped or not, the "tech" community (folks like us who keep an eye out for these products) is aware of release dates. The tablets that have been the most desired (ie iPad 2 & Transformer) sell out immediately. Those of us who considered buying one (or wanting to see one in person to evaluate) are left wanting. A few weeks after launch, these "hot" tabs start rolling out again. But by that point in time, there are new "hotter" tabs having launch dates, and since we agree we all want the latest and greatest, we ditch the "old" tab (iPad2 & Transformer) so that we can obtain the newest. And then we're disappointed yet again with another inadequate launch. I believe the manufacturers have underestimated the demand for this new technology (tabs). I also believe they will LOSE sales because many people will either (a)decide not to buy a tablet right now, (b) buy another tab because it's available, or (c) wait for the next/newest/prettiest/whateverest tablet to have a launch. If I was ordering my Transformer today and knew it wasn't going to arrive until mid-May, I might just sit and wait for something better that will launch in May. YMMV, of course! Just my .03 cents :)

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't seem like to big of a deal so far. The Xoom was awful with the ad leaks, inflated rumor prices, the single super bowl ad then nothing for weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC