ASUS Transformer Tethering with Blackberry

Android30User

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Seems like there is a problem in regards to these two devices!

I tried to connect through Bluetooth and they seem to find each other, all good so far.

But the ASUS tablet simply refuses to use the Blackberry as a modem, despite that they found each other and the BlackBerry is connected to 3G and WiFi.

What is really odd is that on the Android tablet it says: Paired but not connected
Well great, so how do I connect to the Blackberry, because there is no option anywhere that allows me to do that.

Additionally why this Paired but not connected comes up is a wonder to me, as I seem to have no problem transfering files from the BlackBerry to the ASUS.

On the BlackBerry it even has services enabled such as Dial Up Networking.

Since no USB currently is possible as I dont have the ASUS keyboard it is impossible to say if the BlackBerry 9700 can be used as modem for the ASUS. As of now, nothing seems to work. If anyone has gone through this I would appreciate someone told me how to solve the issue.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
When I use my tablets (iPad, NC) with my phone I configure my phone to operate as a Wifi hotspot and connect via the tablet's Wifi radio. Can the BB act as a Wifi hotspot?

thamenacing1

May 11, 2010
Visit site
When I use my tablets (iPad, NC) with my phone I configure my phone to operate as a Wifi hotspot and connect via the tablet's Wifi radio. Can the BB act as a Wifi hotspot?

Yeah, ditto. It's been a while since I've had a Blackberry (traded it in to get my Incredible) and I don't know if they have upgraded the functionality (doubt it, but I could be wrong) to be used as a Wifi hotspot.

I do remember that I have tried to setup the Blackberry as a bluetooth modem on my laptop a couple of times with no success and had read at one point that it could not be done with some carriers. So I think it may be a wash with bluetooth tethering....

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I think its a BT issue with the BB (not sure). I think there were folks having similar issues with the BB PB on crackberry.

It may be worth browsing the forums there to see if any of the info regarding the PB helps (if its an issue with the BB Bluetooth).

Just a thought.

Ufd108

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

No. BlackBerrys are usually a couple of years behind when it comes to technology. They usually tether via USB; I've never seen them tethered via Bluetooth but maybe that's possible as well. But not wifi.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
No. BlackBerrys are usually a couple of years behind when it comes to technology. They usually tether via USB; I've never seen them tethered via Bluetooth but maybe that's possible as well. But not wifi.

Well, that's unfortunate. So are they using BT to connection to the BB tab?

Ufd108

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's unfortunate. So are they using BT to connection to the BB tab?

I believe so, but I'm so sick of Blackberry after being tied to one for the last 6 years by work that I won't even look at another Blackberry product anymore, so I could be wrong about the tablet.

immy63

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I've got a AT&T Blackberry Curve and have always been able to use Bluetooth DUN and connect it to my Dell/Win7 laptop. Once connected my laptop can use my phone's network connection. I just can't get my Transformer TF101 to connect the same way as my Windows 7 laptop. Some have suggested that you get an Internet icon under the wrench in my"BlackBerry 9300" (my phone) located under Bluetooth settings. I haven't seen it. All I ever get is "Paired but not connected"

When I loaded PDAnet Tablet v1.06 on my Transformer I did get it to say connected but no Internet. I eventually removed PDAnet and had to side load AnyCut to reset my Proxy settings. What a mess. Since I don't have another android device and/or there isn't any PDAnet for the BB that is compatible I guess I'm SOL.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
As I understand it, the way BB tethers is to use the BlackBerry Desktop Software to communicate between the BB and the PC. Since Blackberry Desktop Software does not exist on an Android platform the BB cannot be used as a tether for the TF. I did the investigation because I also have a Torch and am getting a TF and I wanted to see if it would work. The word out there is no...

immy63

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As I understand it, the way BB tethers is to use the BlackBerry Desktop Software to communicate between the BB and the PC. Since Blackberry Desktop Software does not exist on an Android platform the BB cannot be used as a tether for the TF. I did the investigation because I also have a Torch and am getting a TF and I wanted to see if it would work. The word out there is no...

BTW: No BlackBerry Desktop software is needed to Bluetooth DUN. At least that's for me and my Dell/Win7 laptop and BB Curve.

SPK

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The newest os7 for BB comes with the option to turn your bb into a hotspot. I have a 9810 and there is a leaked version that i installed on my bb and it works great.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That could be great news! I have a Torch 9800. I guess I need to Bingle whether it will get v7 or not.

Thanks for the info