Possible Transformer Screen Concern (w/pics)

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
So I was lucky and was able to pick up a 16GB Transformer at my local Fry's Yesterday. After only a few minutes of use I noticed what I believe is possibly a defect in my unit.

The things that i am concerned with are:

1. i can see the volume and power buttons between the screen and the meal housing
  2. The screen is not evenly seated in the frame all the way around. It is uneven and there is more of a gap between the screen and the gasket on either side.
  3. The gasket protrudes from the flat surface of the glass and the frame. It also protrudes unevenly as well.
If you could all please look at the pictures below and give me your opinion on these three points:

1. If you own a Transformer does yours have a similar issue
  2. Do think that they are all like this?
  3. Do you think that I should return it?

I know that the Fry's in my area are out so there is no chance of getting a replacement from them. have another (32GB) on order from B&H that i could potentially just wait for and keep the Fry's unit until just before my return period is up.

You responses an opinions are appreciated. TIA

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

gpyadFmYbh82HK2rb1tppcHcQjfIk69Px3FprDTbRwo
gpyadFmYbh82HK2rb1tppcHcQjfIk69Px3FprDTbRwo

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
The first pic looks terribly wrong, but the third pic looks normal. Is the first one just a close up of the third one? The gap on the first pic is quite obvious, but not on the third one. Did you do something on the first pic? Oh, and the last two pics are not showing up on me.

My screen is not 100% even/seamless, but I would say it's within the manufacturing tolerance.

If the first pic is more like what you have, then I would return it. That just nasty gap there.

edit: I meant the third picture looks normal.

Last edited:

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the first pic is a close up of the third pic. You can only see the buttons if you catch it at the right angle.

Glad to hear they are not all like that. Thanks for the response.

Liberati0n

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
If you can stick something down into it, its a bad problem and should return it, but if the glass is blocking it out anyways, I can't see any reason why its just not you being OCD.

Scottish

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Now that you mention it, I have the same kinda thing going on, and though perhaps to a lesser extent than you. I'm inclined to live with it, as I didn't notice it until reading this thread. Since it's not loose at all, and given the likelihood of not getting a replacement for weeks, I don't mind chalking it up to manufacturing tolerances and moving on.

Maybe if they get the stock up to normal levels by the end of my 30 days, I'll see about an exchange.

anon(292241)

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Were I you, I would take it back to Fry's, speak to the return's manager and see if they can get you listed in the system for an exchange when they get new stock in. I probably wouldn't return it if they tell you that you have to give them that one now and they'll give you a new some time in the future when they get more in.

Scottish

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Were I you, I would take it back to Fry's, speak to the return's manager and see if they can get you listed in the system for an exchange when they get new stock in. I probably wouldn't return it if they tell you that you have to give them that one now and they'll give you a new some time in the future when they get more in.
Yeah, that'd be a good course of action for the OP. Unfortunately, I bought from Amazon, so I don't have a B&M option. I suppose I could write and ask about getting on a list for a cross-ship return...

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
tough call.....does it function properly? I bet you could sell that thing on ebay for 200 dollars more than its worth and pocket the 200 if you chose to do so and just wait for early adaptors (like me) to get there fix.

Mine comes in the mail tomm from TIGER DIRECT and i will look for it now.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine has pretty much the same kind of gap running all the way down the left side of my screen. The right side is seamless.

Grrr. Curse you for pointing this out. :mad:

JK. It's really not a big deal. As long as no dust makes its way under my screen I'm not concerned about it. If it does, THEN I'll be concerned.

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses. I got lucky....again. I found a 32GB model at a Fry's a little further from my house and went out there last night and made the return/purchase. Went ahead and canceled my B&H order.

Here is a pick of the available storage on the new one, because as they say, pics or it did not happen! ;)

fuzzylemurs

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses. I got lucky....again. I found a 32GB model at a Fry's a little further from my house and went out there last night and made the return/purchase. Went ahead and canceled my B&H order.

Here is a pick of the available storage on the new one, because as they say, pics or it did not happen! ;)

Glad it worked out for you rock. Lucky to find 2 locally!:eek:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay