Possible Transformer Screen Concern (w/pics)

mikerealohs

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have light leaking in from the sides of their screen onto the screen? When the screen is almost completely dark/black (but still back illuminated I can see light coming in from 3 of the 4 sides of the screen in about 5 different places...). I'd like a replacement, but don't know how long it'll take, especially when reading about Asus' customer service. I've been looking around to see if this a widespread problem, but haven't really seen anyone else with my problem posted anywhere else. Any advice?

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone else have light leaking in from the sides of their screen onto the screen? When the screen is almost completely dark/black (but still back illuminated I can see light coming in from 3 of the 4 sides of the screen in about 5 different places...). I'd like a replacement, but don't know how long it'll take, especially when reading about Asus' customer service. I've been looking around to see if this a widespread problem, but haven't really seen anyone else with my problem posted anywhere else. Any advice?

In response to you yes, I am now on my second unit and the light bleed is twice as bad as it was on the first.

It is so bad that even in the daytime, with brightness on auto, there is bleed the size of half a quarter totally covering the black bar in the ui. it is present on both the left and right sides in several spots as well.

There is also some sot of dust under the screen near the bottom left that is noticeable all the tine in any light.

Update: Actually realized that this is a grouping of bad pixels all in a bunch. Lovely.

To top it all off, there is a similar gap on the right hand side of the screen to the one that I had on my previous unit (pics in previous posts)

Considering the demand and build issues, I think I may have to throw in the towel on the transformer. Not 100% sure yet, but almost certain I will be looking at the Acer Iconica or just waiting to see what else comes out (hello toshiba).

That being said, there is a good possibility that I will have a brand new dock and brand new asus sleeve for sale next week when the dock arrives.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

mikerealohs

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, here's mine. I don't mind the gap, however the light bleed out of the box is unbearable. I just submitted my request for a RMA, we'll se what happens...

Last edited:

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, here's mine. I don't mind the gap, however the light bleed out of the box is unbearable. I just submitted my request for a RMA, we'll se what happens...

Let me know what happens with the rma... I really love this thing and don't want to give up on it. Was just really looking forward to it and it has been a bit of a let down so far.

If you have luck with the RMA process is might give that a go.

Will post up some full device shot of my light bleed in a bit to compare.

Sent from my CM7 Supersonic

allergy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Does it seem like all units are having issues?

Would you say that the gap is bearable and worth the extra versatility of HC and a keyboard dock?

What about the light bleeding, is it so obvious that you get distracted when watching movies or playing games?

I was so excited to have a Tablet/Keyboard combo, but now, I almost feel like just sticking it out with my current laptop (a mac! booo) and waiting for the next batch of transformers, or perhaps just the next generation..

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Does it seem like all units are having issues?

Would you say that the gap is bearable and worth the extra versatility of HC and a keyboard dock?

What about the light bleeding, is it so obvious that you get distracted when watching movies or playing games?

I was so excited to have a Tablet/Keyboard combo, but now, I almost feel like just sticking it out with my current laptop (a mac! booo) and waiting for the next batch of transformers, or perhaps just the next generation..

* the current gap is definately bearable

* the light bleed on this unit is bad all the time no matter the conditions or what you are using it for. Its bad just on the homescreen.
The previous unit i had the light bleed is bearable

All in all its a mixed bad / luck of the draw. Its definately not everyone, i thibk that i am just really unlucky.
Still weighing my options, the only thing that ia know for sure is that this particular unit is getting replaced one way or another. The question is if it will be with another transformer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

antacus

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I can feel your pain. I have been waiting for the TF since I first heard about it then it took me a solid week to actually track one down. So far, knock on wood, I have been overly happy with my personal unit. NO screen bleed at all with static images or movies in a dark or bright room plus my battery drain is a lot less then others is seems. I wonder why such the vast gap between units. Poor QC?

anon(292241)

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
That one spokesperson did say that the short supply was due to changes in quality control. Maybe they've caught on to the problem and are trying to rectify the situation?

mikerealohs

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
* the current gap is definately bearable

* the light bleed on this unit is bad all the time no matter the conditions or what you are using it for. Its bad just on the homescreen.
The previous unit i had the light bleed is bearable

All in all its a mixed bad / luck of the draw. Its definately not everyone, i thibk that i am just really unlucky.
Still weighing my options, the only thing that ia know for sure is that this particular unit is getting replaced one way or another. The question is if it will be with another transformer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
I totally agree 110% with what was said. The light bleed is unbearable on mine. I don't mind the gap, however the light bleed becomes a problem the second the screen darkens/goes black for some process (ie; watching a video or using a app where a majority of the screen is black)...

mikerealohs

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's been 6 days since I sent in my request for a RMA number to Asus. I got a case number and trackable email from Asus with in their internal email system, however when checking it's status with the link provided in the email they sent me it still shows as being unreplied (the page states that all inquiries are responded to within 48 hours of it's initial receipt)... I've tried contacting them with the phone number provided on their website, hitting the key prompts provided by the automated voice, and just when it starts to ring to a person (I think) it hangs up... I'm kind of at my wits end at this point. I've contacted Amazon, as they fulfilled my order, and the customer service rep I spoke to was pretty awesome. He would have replaced my unit, however they're still sold out and unable to offer me a replacement so ultimately they weren't of much help... At this point I have until the 7th of June to request a return and get a full refund.

In a nutshell, here's what I've gleamed about both companies from this experience:
Amazon = pretty awesome
Asus = pretty shady

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's been 6 days since I sent in my request for a RMA number to Asus. I got a case number and trackable number from Asus in the email, however when checking it's status with the link provided in the email it still shows as being as unreplied... I've tried contacting them with the phone number provided on their website, hitting the key prompts provided by the automated voice and just when it starts to ring to a person (I think) it hangs up... I'm kind of at my wits end at this point. I contacted Amazon (since they fulfilled my order) and the customer service rep I spoke to was pretty awesome. He would have replaced my unit, however they're still sold out so it's a no go... At this point I have until the 7th of June to request return and full refund.

In a nutshell, here's what I've learned from this experience:
Amazon = pretty awesome
Asus = pretty shady

Thanks man. Think I'll wait until I know for sure that Asus is upping their Quality Control.

apd123#AC

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow I thought you all might whining until I saw the pics that is terrible. So is the consensus that the product is flawed or just some bad units?

craftyhack

May 17, 2011
Visit site
First post so I can see your pics. My 16GB TF definitely has some bleed in a few places, but not too bad I don't think, a few dime to quarter sized spots. Now going back in the thread to see if I have low standards or got lucky. Note that I haven't yet used my TF to watch any movies (still trying to sort out the right combo of transcoding given crappy hardware acceleration support on Tegra2 at this point, Handbrake is encoding as we speak), so maybe what I think isn't a big deal now won't be the case once I start watching video's on my TF...

craftyhack

May 17, 2011
Visit site
OK, just compared mine, and it looks just as bad with light bleed as the others posted, but only if I have brightness up to 100% in a very dark room. With auto brightness enabled, the bleed is barely noticeable. The brightness does decrease dramatically when in a dark room and brightness set to automatic, but the level it sets is comfortable for me I think... once I get some movies transcoded I will know for sure!

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, just compared mine, and it looks just as bad with light bleed as the others posted, but only if I have brightness up to 100% in a very dark room. With auto brightness enabled, the bleed is barely noticeable. The brightness does decrease dramatically when in a dark room and brightness set to automatic, but the level it sets is comfortable for me I think... once I get some movies transcoded I will know for sure!

I stay far away from devices that have known issues. The Asus TF is one of the devises known to have light bleed, choice is simple, take it or leave it.