Possible Transformer Screen Concern (w/pics)

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I ordered 4 TF from different places and they arrived at different time. The first arrived, it had a gap in the front of the panel as well as at back of the panel. It made creaking noise! I returned that one. The 2nd and 3rd TF arrived. Opened the 2nd one and it was perfect...no problem at all. The 3rd one as a gift which I gave over the weekend. The recipient opened the box and found no problems...it was also perfect. The 4th one arrived yesterday. Again, it is intended as a gift and I don't want to open it.

Seems like it is a hit or miss.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I ordered 4 TF from different places and they arrived at different time. The first arrived, it had a gap in the front of the panel as well as at back of the panel. It made creaking noise! I returned that one. The 2nd and 3rd TF arrived. Opened the 2nd one and it was perfect...no problem at all. The 3rd one as a gift which I gave over the weekend. The recipient opened the box and found no problems...it was also perfect. The 4th one arrived yesterday. Again, it is intended as a gift and I don't want to open it.

Seems like it is a hit or miss.

I want to be your friend at Christmas time?

-Suntan

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Before I have my TF, my wife love her Xoom. Now she wants to take my TF! My only defense is to keep telling her the TF has bad build quality and that the Xoom is more reliable and feel more high quality. It is still my TF as of today! :)

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
You don't have any devices, then, do you? LOL...

I have two xooms in my house and sold one 3g version when the wifi version came out.I could verify the issues the Asus TF has because I had one and put it up for sale the same day. Bottom line it lacks quality and quality control. The only thing it has going for it is the keyboard that separates it from the rest, but then again how hard would it be to make a similar add on for other tablets? I said this before, nothing compares to the Motorola xoom as far as build goes but that's my opinion.

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Jeez this gets tiring.

Look, you?re not the only person capable of looking at both units and then deciding for themselves which will work better for their needs.

Personally, when I had a Xoom for a week or two, the build is what turned me off. As for fit and finish, there was a fair amount of misalignment where the stamped metal backplate met the plastic strip at the top (right below the hard-to-use speaker buttons.) Not a reliability issue, but definitely frustrating when that is where your hand naturally rests while holding it in landscape. Yes, I?m sure yours has *absolutely zero* misalignment but after I noticed it on mine, I also noticed the same misalignment on a Xoom on display at a BB, although not as severely as the sample I got.

Motorola is not immune to quality issues either.

In any case, can we please stop hearing from you about how poorly the Transformer is built? There are enough of them shipped out now that we can decide that for ourselves. The Xoom is a quality product, the Transformer is no good at anything important. The Xoom is stylish, the Transformer is garish, the Xoom has a cool name, the Transformer has a girly name, the transformer will be dead soon, Long live the Xoom?

Does that about cover it?

-Suntan

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought you said you had a Xoom???

ROFL!
What issues does the xoom have besides the high price? But compare it to what's out there and it seems to be a steel in my opinion. I dont think you're going to see qulity material in future tablets because Asus Acer and soon Samsung 10.1 are proving that cheaper made is more profitable.

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have both Xoom and TF at home. Seems like people still like the TF better even the Xoom has better build quality. I showed both to friends. All like TF better. I think it is the usability and connectivity that people like about the TF. And to top it off, TF is $200 lower.

mikerealohs

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Back on topic... I just got done calling Asus for the 6th time since the 5th of May (when I first submitted my request for an RMA). The first rep I spoke to today at first said that they had the tablet... when I told him that that was impossible because I still had it in hand he then told me that the RMA info had been sent, and proceeded to resend it. I waited about 20 minutes, and when it didn't arrive I called AGAIN. The rep I spoke to the last time finally got it to me. I can't believe it took almost 2 weeks just to get a RMA and the accompanying return into! I'm now torn because I only have until the 2nd of June to return my tablet to Amazon and get a full refund, and according to Asus's customer service rep the servicing will take 2 weeks. Given the service I've received so far I don't know if I can trust them. Buyer definitely beware, it's too bad too since it's actually a damn fine tablet everything else withstanding. Tsk tsk Asus.

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Back on topic... I just got done calling Asus for the 6th time since the 5th of May (when I first submitted my request for an RMA). The first rep I spoke to today at first said that they had the tablet... when I told him that that was impossible because I still had it in hand he then told me that the RMA info had been sent, and proceeded to resend it. I waited about 20 minutes, and when it didn't arrive I called AGAIN. The rep I spoke to the last time finally got it to me. I can't believe it took almost 2 weeks just to get a RMA and the accompanying return into! I'm now torn because I only have until the 2nd of June to return my tablet to Amazon and get a full refund, and according to Asus's customer service rep the servicing will take 2 weeks. Given the service I've received so far I don't know if I can trust them. Buyer definitely beware, it's too bad too since it's actually a damn fine tablet everything else withstanding. Tsk tsk Asus.

I suggest you return it to Amazon for full refund. Order another one. Who knows what Asus would do to your tablet and when you will get it back? Not worth the risk. Just my opinion.

mikerealohs

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's some sound advise. I was seriously considering shipping it back to them for servicing, but given the experience insofar I think I'm going to return it to Amazon. I'd really like an exchange, but if i can't get one then I think I'd be better off returning it and waiting for them to come back into stock (hopefully by then they've gotten their QC under control), or maybe I'll look at the offerings of other manufacturers like Samsung... :(

pixelbat

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Transformer today from Walmart.com, and also experiencing light leakage. Not sure if this is normal or not. I notice it mostly when brightness is turned up with something dark on screen. I only have the light leakage on the bottom of the display in two spots to the right of the center. Attached a picture.

To the guy with the RMA, I'd honestly return it for a refund and try and re-buy it rather than mess with an RMA to Asus. Like you said, they do seem kinda shady with RMA's. Might want to use nowinstock.net to find a replacement. My phone has been blowing up with txt alerts like crazy the last day or two. Seems a lot of places are getting shipments now.

It's only been one day for me, gonna give it a week, if this light leak absolutely drives me crazy (OCD), I'll probably return it and try and get another one when Walmart gets more. Can't beat their return policy, 90 days to return.

jonhcox

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm done here guys sorry to take up your precious time.

Good sport. Don't you find it strange that Motorola, which delivered the first Honeycomb tablet, got stiffed from Google at I/O? Samsung is about to deliver a mighty spanking to Motorola and then the Xoom will be forgotten. I liked the Xoom when I played with it in the puny display at Best Buy, but it was shipped before it should have been and over priced. Decent build quality, but a display that is lagging behind almost ALL of it's competitors, save the Viewsonic G Tab.

That said, I almost ordered a Transformer from Best Buy over the weekend. Asus is not Motorola. For them to build and price a decent tablet, there will be a few... lemons. That is a problem with mass manufacturing. Hey, you could have bought an iPad 2 and been on your fourth model, still with lightbleed. And Apple IS bigger than Moto. Pursue a replacement and if it still isn't acceptable to YOU, get another one. I will wait to see how the production models that start shipping in June look. If they look good, I'm on it. It's called the Transformer after all.

Someone told me that with LCD displays, some lightbleed is inevitable. I don't know that for sure, but a lot of bleed is not.

adamjt

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I picked up one from walmart that had two spots of light bleed. One was really bright and on the taskbar. So, I picked up another from sears. That one has maybe 20% of the bottom right corner of the screen lit all up. No idea how that one made it past QC. Sucks. Going to return both and give it one last try:(

adamjt

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Transformer today from Walmart.com, and also experiencing light leakage. Not sure if this is normal or not. I notice it mostly when brightness is turned up with something dark on screen. I only have the light leakage on the bottom of the display in two spots to the right of the center. Attached a picture.

To the guy with the RMA, I'd honestly return it for a refund and try and re-buy it rather than mess with an RMA to Asus. Like you said, they do seem kinda shady with RMA's. Might want to use nowinstock.net to find a replacement. My phone has been blowing up with txt alerts like crazy the last day or two. Seems a lot of places are getting shipments now.

It's only been one day for me, gonna give it a week, if this light leak absolutely drives me crazy (OCD), I'll probably return it and try and get another one when Walmart gets more. Can't beat their return policy, 90 days to return.

Walmart is 15 days for tablets, so watch that.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah mines looks nothing like that either, definitely return for a different unit. Shouldn't be a problem since you picked yours up locally instead of off the internet. Good luck!

musacc

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure what to do with my transformer. I didn't notice light bleed until I started looking for it and downloaded the pacman app last night from Amazon. The app only uses the center of the screen and the rest is black. It was dark in the room I was in and I could see a couple area of bleed.

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Avoid the ghosts and keep eating up those powerups. The lightbleed on most of these doesn't affect Pacman at all, nor any of the other Apps / Games either.

I reckon if you can't see it in a normally lit room, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have to stand in a closet with black screen and brightness to max you probably do have OCD (or don't want anybody else to see what you're watching! :p )
Jon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital