Im a sucker for high build quality. I dont like electronics with play, or feels plasticky.

That is why im leaning towards xoom at the moment even though its pricer and i heard buggier.

So how does the back feel? Is it hard plastic? If someone presses down on it hard do you think itll crack? Does it squeck?

I have to ask since i dont know of any stores with display models.
    05-21-2011 07:03 PM
    Xoom is buggier? I have it the other way around.Here's my simple analogy. Xoom is a zippo lighter where as the Asus TF is a disposable BIC lighter. Purely my opinion. Btw I'm a non smoker.
    Arun01 likes this.
    05-21-2011 07:14 PM
    I rather like the back myself. It does not feel "cheap" to me; it feels like textured plastic. It gives a nice grip.

S.O.D. has nothing good to say about the T'Former and nothing bad to say about the Xoom. It seems he hangs around this forum for no other reason than to trash the T'Former and praise the Xoom incessantly.

If you are very concerned about possible "plasticy" feeling of the back plate, give it a couple weeks until you can hold one in a Best Buy or some other brick and mortar store and decide for yourself. Some people can't stand it while others like it fine.
    05-21-2011 07:28 PM
    God, give me a break about the built quailty of the TF. I mean seriously, for $400, what that heck do you guys expect??

For $400, the TF is quiet well built, awesome extras, fresh new design, and lots more. The dock looks fantastic with even lines and classy look. I mean if I pay something like this for $400, I wouldn't be expecting it to be a hand-made, one piece of aircraft grade aluminum, with seamless joints, etc, etc.

And yes, with my couple of weeks owning the Xoom, I definitely experienced more problem compare to the TF out of the box.
    05-21-2011 07:30 PM
    I rather like the back myself. It does not feel "cheap" to me; it feels like textured plastic. It gives a nice grip.

S.O.D. has nothing good to say about the T'Former and nothing bad to say about the Xoom. It seems he hangs around this forum for no other reason than to trash the T'Former and praise the Xoom incessantly.

If you are very concerned about possible "plasticy" feeling of the back plate, give it a couple weeks until you can hold one in a Best Buy or some other brick and mortar store and decide for yourself. Some people can't stand it while others like it fine.
    +1. I was just about to say that sonofdroid seems to be on every thread about transformers trashing it. The fact of the matter is that some people, like myself, don't mind the plasticy feel since it actually makes it lighter and priced cheaper. Considering I get great processing power, great features, and a tablet that weighs less while I potentially hold it for hours, is a bunch of positives in my book. I do have a question for sonofdroid though. What are you basing all of your negativity towards the TF from? Have you played with one, or do you just work for Motorola? Most people who actually own one or played with one seem to have very positive things to say about it, especially for $399.00. For that price, you can expect some improvements needed, but most people are focusing on the positives for the price. Just my experience from reading the forums here and elsewhere (aside from sonofdroid's insightful bashing).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    05-21-2011 07:45 PM
    I have both the Xoom and TF. If you are looking for top build quality, get the Xoom. Otherwise, if you can live with average build quality, definitely get the TF.

I ordered 4 TF. The first one was kind of a defect with gap and squeaking noises, so I returned. The other 3 are perfect. No gap. No noise. No light bleed. The docking keyboards are actually very well built.

Overall, I like the TF much more than the Xoom. But if you are purely looking for build quality, the Xoom can't be beat.
    05-21-2011 07:48 PM
    Oh I get it now,if I have nothing good to say don't say anything at all.
    05-21-2011 07:53 PM
    I have both the Xoom and TF. If you are looking for top build quality, get the Xoom. Otherwise, if you can live with average build quality, definitely get the TF.

I ordered 4 TF. The first one was kind of a defect with gap and squeaking noises, so I returned. The other 3 are perfect. No gap. No noise. No light bleed. The docking keyboards are actually very well built.

Overall, I like the TF much more than the Xoom. But if you are purely looking for build quality, the Xoom can't be beat.
    May i ask what are you using the two extra TF for?
    Visual360 likes this.
    05-21-2011 09:14 PM

Thank you that was helpful.

I always suspected the docking KB to actually look better build wise than the actual unit. My decision still isnt clear yet until i test one in store i supose.

I dont mind electronics that are plasitc, just plasitcky.

I have a PSP Go, and i think its built very well.
    05-21-2011 09:16 PM
    May i ask what are you using the two extra TF for?
    Gifts!
    05-21-2011 10:01 PM
    The back feels to me like the finest Corinthian Leather, assembled by master craftsmen in Taiwan, but I like what's up front even more.

05-21-2011 11:21 PM
    I only have a xoom. The bottom half is slippery as an eel. I always keep a case on it.
    05-22-2011 01:51 PM
    I only have a xoom. The bottom half is slippery as an eel. I always keep a case on it.
    Since the TF is a lot lighter, and the plastic back is a lot grippier, it won't be getting away from you.
    05-22-2011 02:11 PM
    I had two Xooms (wifi and 3g) - they were nicely machined HEAVY lumps of aluminum with sharp edges. Uncomfortable to hold for extended periods (more than a few minutes) - you had to buy a case (anyone want a lightly used Zoogue case for a Xoom cheap?) They were significantly more buggy than the TF - surprisingly so considering same CPU/OS. Both went back and I haven't missed them for a nanosecond. My wife is jealous - her ip2 is so limiting and its likely going back - another TF is likely on order. The only thing I thought the Xoom was better was speaker quality, although rear placement was annoying. Case on the TF is very nice - plastic back is strong, non squeaking with nice texture and color with tasteful flecks - I prefer it over the Xoom's needlessly heavy metal chassis, particularly since the Xoom will be obsolete in less than a year when the quad core units start shipping with more ports, better screen and lighter weight at half the cost.

As for the OP and the troll, they are probably one and the same, or working in concert.

For months, I've noticed a constant line of of "have you stopped hitting your wife yet" kind of questions on these boards wrt to Android tablets. I often suspect they are apple fanbois paid to "surreptitiously" bash anything Android. Same thing happens in popular investing forums by short sellers. They "innocently" raise questions that have no real answer, but keep a constant discussion of "potential negative" issues alive.

Most people take these "questions" at face value, but they are so constant, it's hard to believe they are "innocent" questions.
    05-22-2011 03:00 PM
    Oh I get it now,if I have nothing good to say don't say anything at all.
    Not at all, but truthfully, why bother hanging around just to rip on the TF? You're not going to convince all of us that the TF is not worth $399....that has to be obvious by now (even to you). We get it. You don't like the TF, move on.

anon(292241) and Suntan like this.
    05-22-2011 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD