gorilla glass? maybe with scratches.

markstanco#CB

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Screen cracked. I literally dropped it from about 6-9 inches on to my wood floor. Layingdown on my back playing with my son and i dropped it (he knocked it off my chest).

Barely noticable and totally functionable,but cracked.

Get a rubber housing or whatnot immediately!

markstanco#CB

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Its not that bad.

broken-lcd-screen-754937.jpg

pixelbat

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well that blows. May want to try and return it. Wouldn't be so difficult if you bought it online and came shipped. Just claim it was damaged in transit.

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
On further thoughts, I wonder whether that is a maybe a manufacturing defect. The bezel should have spread out the force, and I really don't think falling on a flat surface it should break like that. Did it fall on the edge, or on the flat face?

(My experience is with both thick and thin Optiwhite toughened glass in a photographic context - had a few break in my time)
J

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
You have a few choices, someone one ebay will definitely buy it and you will most likely loose anywhere from 100.00 to 150.00 dollars. Or you can wait until ifixit disassembles one and see what can and cannot be replaced. I found out on my Xoom from ifixit that the glass is separate from the display and can be replaced. Or just live with it if no warranty exists. Good luck.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that sucks. Are you sure the TF has Gorilla Glass? I've dropped my Droid X from about 6 feet onto concrete, and it didn't break.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You have a few choices, someone one ebay will definitely buy it and you will most likely loose anywhere from 100.00 to 150.00 dollars. Or you can wait until ifixit disassembles one and see what can and cannot be replaced. I found out on my Xoom from ifixit that the glass is separate from the display and can be replaced. Or just live with it if no warranty exists. Good luck.

Yeah, according to ifixit, the Xoom is very easy to fix (as long as you don't mind removing about 50 screws). I'm kind of anxious to see what the TF looks like on the inside.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

ragebunny

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow thats harsh, they advertise the glass to be so strong. I watched a video of thing testing some before and i thought it looked class.

Maybe its its only that strong when theres smaller amounts of the glass.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow thats harsh, they advertise the glass to be so strong. I watched a video of thing testing some before and i thought it looked class.

Maybe its its only that strong when theres smaller amounts of the glass.

Most of the advertisements about strength are hitting the broad side with a hammer and the like. (or pressing it with a pen/nail) not dropping it on the edge.

Gorilla glass is VERY strong, but just like almost everything else, it has it's limits. Think of eggshells. Weak right? But cut the egg shelves in half and position the halves right, and they can support an adult standing on them. or, a diamond can cut glass, but you don't want to try hitting it with a hammer.