Set USB to Charge Only? CompanionLink requirement

jonathan7007

May 29, 2011
Visit site
ASUS Transformer arrived a couple of days ago. I want to sync Outlook with CompanionLink over USB. This works well with my DROID X, but I can't find a way to set the Transformer USB connection to "Charge Only". This machine is still Honeycomb 3.0.1 and CompanionLink says they don't know what the issue is. Their software doesn't work with the XOOM (which I tried and returned) and it has got to work with this ASUS to be able to use it for productive work.

The only alternative seems to be the ASUS sync software, but there isn't much documentation. In addition, I get an error message when I run the software and plug into a USB port on the Win7-64 laptop.

Anyone have a suggestion for USB connection control?

Thanks in advance!

jonathan7007

fjfisher601#AC

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I am having the exact smae problem- the SYnch software loaded- but not the drivers, so I can backup to the Cloud and use splash, but cannot synch with my usb cable, either in tab mode or through the docking station!

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
If you have the Asus Sync installed you could sync your calendar and contacts with outlook (no need for CL).. Although I use CL to go from Outlook to GMail, which then will sync with my Transformer wirelessly.

Sent from Bumblebee, my Asus Transformer using TapaTalk.

jonathan7007

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

I installed/tried ASUS sync but it offered an error. I don't have it out and open so cannot report the error here. I *was* hoping it could sync Outlook... that's great.

CompanionLink said I could sync over WiFi if on the same router. That would be a security risk in any open environment, but I tried to do it at a friend's house. I was immediately asked for the tablet's IP address and I am sure I was going to asked for my laptop's IP address. I could not figure out how to get the P address in Android. Not easy on the Win7 64-bit either.

Anyone know how to do this?

Or do I have to follow imtravis's example and use Google contacts? I'd rather not that either. USB is speedy and secure.

I put in a request -- about USB Charge only status assignment -- direct to ASUS.

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

I installed/tried ASUS sync but it offered an error. I don't have it out and open so cannot report the error here. I *was* hoping it could sync Outlook... that's great.

CompanionLink said I could sync over WiFi if on the same router. That would be a security risk in any open environment, but I tried to do it at a friend's house. I was immediately asked for the tablet's IP address and I am sure I was going to asked for my laptop's IP address. I could not figure out how to get the P address in Android. Not easy on the Win7 64-bit either.

Or do I have to follow imtravis's example and use Google contacts? I'd rather not that either. USB is speedy and secure.

I put in a request -- about USB Charge only status assignment -- direct to ASUS.
AFAIK there is no "charge only" state you can put your tablet in. As for finding out the ip address for each device you can check the router and find that info (easy to find on the win7 machine in the command prompt). The "charge only" mode is only seen on phones (so far anyways). By syncing with google that way, it will still be secure and speedy. I'm not sure why you think otherwise. As for anything being a "security risk" over wireless, you should know that the connection made with either companion link or with google are secure links between the servers and the device.

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com

The IP address can be found by launching DejaOffice on the tablet. Go to Settings>Sync Settings, then (when WiFi sync is selected as the sync type) select the WiFi Settings option. There, you'll see your device IP and name. You shouldn't need your laptop's IP address for setting up WiFi sync in DejaOffice.

As for USB sync, unfortunately it's an issue on the tablet side. DejaOffice will be compatible once the tablet supports mounting an SD card. Until then, we recommend using Local WiFi sync. We will definitely post on our Blog when we have more info about USB sync.

Hope that helps!

David Z.

jonathan7007

May 29, 2011
Visit site
@Stearic
I don't now keep any contact or calendar info in Google, and don't want to have to push the data through more steps by adding them into the loop.

I have been on a long trip with sporadic access to good WiFi. At home I look at the router tables but not while traveling. I suppose I can look at ipcofig /all at the command line to see the current assignment. See that David helped with the CompanionLink viewpoint, which I really appreciate.

I just wonder about the security of moving the data over WiFi in a public place! Is this secure in a way I do not understand? Most of this long business trip has put my WiFi sessions in crowded Boston university-neighborhood coffeehouses. Generally fine folks but open to a few curious or sneaky folks with sniffing skills, too.

Just a few thoughts...

jonathan7007

falcon72a

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Jonathan, I've had the same problem...here's the solution:
When you connect the USB to the phone, it will say "USB Connection" at the top. Pull down the top bar and "Select [USB Connection] to manage your USB Connection". Once you click there, you can set to "PC Mode", "Windows Media Sync", "USB Mass Storage", or "Charge Only".