mSD card for the TF

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Couple questions..

1) How do I tell what is a good mSD card verse a not-good one? I know there are different classes of them, is the higher the class the better? Or Lower?

2) If I pop it in now after having the TF for a while, I assume it works like it does in an Android phone. That is I need to "move apps to card" (assuming I want to) and manually copy my pictures/etc over to it. Is that correct? After that will future pictures/movies automatically go to the card?

Thanks!

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Vincent,
Card classes
The higher the card class, the faster it is to read and write. Very roughly, a Class 6 card should be able to read and write at a minimum of 6Mb/sec. However, thats a theoretical minimum, and it's not to say that it won't either read faster or write faster.

Class 6 would be a good tradeoff between cost and performance. If you were to want to run movies directly off the card, I might think about class 10, and I think that class 4 or less might be a bit of a pain in terms of waiting when transferring files. Whatever you buy, get yourself one of the free test programs and check sustainable read and write performance for yourself, and return if unsatisfactory.

There is no 'move apps to card' on Honeycomb. The SD access is a bit of a kludge, but manually moving files to cards is fine with File Manager HD, even though many apps, which will run on HC cannot access the external cards (They obviously only expect to see the built in storage option). I assume that there will be a more seamless degree of integration of cards to come - there's better be!

Hope this helps
Jon

Reactions: VydorScope

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome, Vincent.

I bought a 32Gb Memorette Class 10 at a very good price (ebay), but was very suspicious. Tested it, and it *was* class 10, but died about an hour later! I'll tell you one thing though: full size SD (if you have a dock) is a lot cheaper. All the best with your purchasing.

I'm trying to get my current book finished, so I can read yours!
Jon

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I will have the dock tomorrow from Amazon. Can you use both SD card slots at once? So if put a 32gb mSD and a 32gbSD and the 16gb base = 80gb? :D

kktk

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can...they show up as separate devices in the File Manager. You can even hook up external HD's to the USB slot ;)

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Coolness worked great, ALMOST. Forgot all my USB drives are encrypted with Truecrypt. LOL Wonder if they have an Adriod version yet.....

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have found that roughly half the apps will see the card. I have found that some of the apps will not see the card from within the app but if that app is the default for a certain file type I could launch file manager, choose that file, and it launched the app and worked.

A little kludgey for sure but I am still grateful for the port and rudimentary support.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk