Navigating Embedded Google maps on websites

trblsome9six

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to navigate embedded maps on websites when visiting from your transformer. For instance if you try to navigate the map at this NWS website you will just move the page around. How do I access the map and navigate within it?

flacoff

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
there is a general issue with things like this b/c you can't "click and drag".

not sure i have a good solution for you. let me load the link up when i get back home.

trblsome9six

May 3, 2011
Visit site
there is a general issue with things like this b/c you can't "click and drag".

not sure i have a good solution for you. let me load the link up when i get back home.

Yeah but the thing is I was using another android 3.* tablet at best buy, and it was able to navigate embedded maps. Doesn't that seem odd?

mxbp

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I have never had a tablet before my Transformer 10 days ago, but would like to suggest Android could provide a "cursor" function which could be called by any app.

The app would then display a "Show cursor" button to toggle between the normal tablet mode (in which the problem reported by trblsome9six arises) and this "cursor" mode in which a cursor would be displayed over the underlying page with shape etc. defined by the app. In Google Maps for example, the cursor could initially be a simple arrow as when accessed by a PC browser.

In this mode, if the screen is touched "close enough" (TBD by the app settings) to the displayed cursor, the cursor would then follow the finger (in the same relative position) without any movement of the underlying page until the finger is lifted. I say "close enough" and "in the same relative position" because for accuracy you often need to see exactly where the cursor is over the page without your finger being in the way. With the finger outside the active area round the cursor the app could most likely continue to react react as in the normal mode.

Once the cursor is in the desired position, you would touch and hold your finger "close enough" to the cursor without moving it until the cursor is highlighted in some way. Whatever app object is beneath the cursor would then be selected, after which when the finger moves this app object would follow the cursor (in the same relative position...). In embedded Google Maps for example, if the cursor was just over no particular part of the map, the cursor "highlight" would be the change from arrow to grasping hand and when you move your finger the map would follow it.

When the cursor was over a route already displayed in Google Maps, it would change to the finger pointing to the black circle on the displayed route. You could then drag and drop the black circle over to a different road when it followed your finger and thus modify the route.

I have no real idea how difficult implementing this would be, but the basics would seem to be there when moving objects around the home page, for example.

Such a function would seem to open the door even for Photoshop-like apps...

What do you people think?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc