Transformer living up to your expectations?

bob smith

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I like my TF and dock/keyboard combo. It is getting a lot of use. The software updates from Asus are awesome, and the microsd slot is full. :)

The single #fail in my opinion is lack of a 12v barrel plug charge capability on the docki/keyboard. If the dock had a 12v barrel plug charge ability the charger/cable complaints would be much less relevant.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you man, the Asus virtual keyboard is a bit a laggy, but the android keyboard works well and it is fast. And of course the keyboard dock has no lag at all. The browser is slower that Chrome on my laptop, but I it is fine with me since; I know flash has still not managed to get their act together. I rather have full access to the web rather than ultra fast browser.

As for apps, I know those apps will come as more android tablets are released to the market and as developers began to support honeycomb.

This message is approved by my transformer

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
One question it does lead to for me is.. do the phones perform better? There are certainly more phone apps available. However, the fact that many android handset users seem to think honeycomb is 'good' makes me wonder how bad gingerbread is and how sluggish the phones are.. otoh, it's had more revs...

I won't respond concerning your criticisms about the Transformer, some of which are valid, though frankly I'm really enjoying mine after two weeks of use. (This thing is addictive!)

But I do have to step in and say that Android phones running Froyo or Gingerbread are not sluggish and we're NOT just deluding ourselves.

My wife and I both have HTC EVOs - they are nearly a year old now and we've had NO issues whatsoever. None, zip, nada. I have over 100 apps installed on mine and have personally seen maybe one or two FCs due to an errant app in all that time. The UI (stock HTC Sense) is beautiful, fast, and hugely customizable. We were updated from Froyo to Gingerbread last month (minor but useful changes).

My friends with iPhones just go quiet and get all moody when they see what I can do on that 4.3" screen :cool:

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I have tried most of the browsers...but they all seem to suffer from the same issues (to varying degrees).

Opera is the fastest, no adblock
Dolphin is trying to work out page load issues, and still redraws slowly
Stock has no adblock, lag, and redraws slowly.

I posted a question about obtaining better video quality, but nobody so far seems to have an answer as to why I is so poor..also the sound is low/ bad

I am ready to jump to android, but I don't think it's ready to be jumped into. The video quality aspect is really just another big deal...why should two devices on the ame network using the same source have such a huge disparity in video quality?

Hw long is it going to take to fix all this stuff? I don't know how fast point updates roll from google... Is there any chance in a couple of weeks they will release something that fixes most f the slowness issues, or is that something that comes with a major rev every six months? Any one with more android experience, I'd love to know the answer!

TerryD

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am very pleased with mine. I just got the splashtop remote working. Very cool. I am surprised with all of the complaints. For $399.00, I got more than I expected, not less.

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that this is a tab not your laptop. Right?

You do realize there are competitors that aren't laptops that don't have these shortcomings right?

Look above....a phone with less powerful hardware is outperforming it.

Discussing shortcomings and asking for explanations and pointers does not deserve a flippant response...especially on so far off the mark. Fort anything helpful to add? Or was it just a typical forum hit and run to try and belittle a stranger in order to feel superior?

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps you should stick to IOS if it works well for you? :)

I have NS4G and don't have any problems and issues you are having with android. I also have ipad2 and I can tell u for sure that you need to adjust android devices to your liking. Maybe you have a bad device or maybe you installed something that is causing your issues. Hard to say. I don't have transformer personally but a friend of mine has it and I used it for few hours. Didn't have issues you are having.

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Rlly? There's a huge thread or three on xda about the issue with typing in browser, and more about flash quality, quality control issues, sound issues, and screen problems. I think it's early growing pains.

I am looking to move away from iOS for some reasons, which is why I bought the android tablet...but issues with it (and the os) look like they will rent that for maybe six months or so. I definitely I'll be exploring my options before purchasing any new devices.

Fwiw, the tablet is also incapable of being encrypted, known issue, and also a problem IMO for a mobile device.

sloked

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Rlly? There's a huge thread or three on xda about the issue with typing in browser, and more about flash quality, quality control issues, sound issues, and screen problems. I think it's early growing pains.

I am looking to move away from iOS for some reasons, which is why I bought the android tablet...but issues with it (and the os) look like they will rent that for maybe six months or so. I definitely I'll be exploring my options before purchasing any new devices.

Fwiw, the tablet is also incapable of being encrypted, known issue, and also a problem IMO for a mobile device.

I had that problem where it was really hard to respond in the browser. I noticed my suggested words were not showing above the on screen keyboard so I knew it was a software problem. I restarted the TF and It worked fine again. If yours is acting like mine was, I could totally understand hating it too. Try using SmartKeyboard Pro for your software keyboard. It has been my best purchase on my android phones and works just as good on my TF.
As for video, the update has fixed YouTube and try using MoBoPlayer in the market to play your AVI's and MKV's. It works perfect for me.
As for browsing, if you do not care for Flash as you have stated, disable plug-ins in settings and it won't be as stuttery when loading page content. The experience becomes very similar to the ipad and you can still choose to tap on flash content to load at will.
To me it sounds like your TF suffers from all of the gripes only some people are cursed with. If my suggestions do not help your problems, I think you should return your TF since it may be a faulty system.
I live with an ipad and we are always battling on whose is the best. There is no denying that the transition and scrolling animation of the ipad is superior to honeycomb and out of the box the ipad is much easier, but with a little prowess and some tweaking, I seem to always win the battle of the tabs in functionality.

tprevett

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I originally had the Sprint Galaxy Tab 7. Then bought an ipad2 - returned it because of crappy 1/2 megapixel camera, got a Xoom. Returned it because it weighed too much, got 2 Transformers, returned both due to build quality (digitizer failure on the first, blue magic marker line on the underside of the digitizer on the 2nd). If I got a perfect transformer I would still have it. I now have another ipad2, which I have been using for a couple of weeks.. it is okay for those who don't mind doing exactly what Steve jobs wants you to do, but it does lack in a lot of areas.. Yes, movements are smooth, but lack of flash really kills it for me. I also really dislike the email program, and think the amount of iPad apps are lacking. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 on preorder, and imagine that this will be the device I keep. IOS works for some but not for me. TRANSFORMER is good if you get a good one!

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I originally had the Sprint Galaxy Tab 7. Then bought an ipad2 - returned it because of crappy 1/2 megapixel camera, got a Xoom. Returned it because it weighed too much, got 2 Transformers, returned both due to build quality (digitizer failure on the first, blue magic marker line on the underside of the digitizer on the 2nd). If I got a perfect transformer I would still have it. I now have another ipad2, which I have been using for a couple of weeks.. it is okay for those who don't mind doing exactly what Steve jobs wants you to do, but it does lack in a lot of areas.. Yes, movements are smooth, but lack of flash really kills it for me. I also really dislike the email program, and think the amount of iPad apps are lacking. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 on preorder, and imagine that this will be the device I keep. IOS works for some but not for me. TRANSFORMER is good if you get a good one!

You sound like me.... I've had a 7" tab, Xoom, and iPad 2. Currently have none of them.

I had similar gripes to the iPad after the newness worn off. Lack of flash was frustrating, I found myself using splashtop to login to my desktop most often. Same with the email program, it sucks hardcore.

Not sure what I will get now? If anything...

sloked

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I will buy an iOS device when they make a MacBook Air equipped keyboard docking station for the iPad 3. Untill then, my TF works just fine.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Honeycomb could load webpages faster.

Last Friday our internet was boosted from 3Mbps to 12Mbps (with real-world data throughput coming in at upwards of 20Mbps most times of the day.)

The laptop is noticeably faster in loading heavy webpages now. The TF is not.

-Suntan

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Transformer for about four weeks now and am enjoying it thoroughly. I was previously using the original iPad. The Transformer is cheaper, faster, lighter, and I like the 16:9 display. The iPad might have a lot more apps right now but in all honesty, I'm not really wanting in that area. I primarily use it to surf the web, read ebooks, watch videos, and play games. There's more than enough quality apps to accomplish this.

The min-HDMI slot is awesome and one of the features I like the most. I had some friends and family over and they were blown away when I attached my Transformer to my HD-TV and showed them YouTube videos and pictures.

My Transformer did not have any noticeable light bleed. It has performed well with suprisingly few force closes from my apps. My only real issue is the YouTube performance through the browser. It struggles mightily but when you watch the same HD video on the native app, it runs fine.

I haven't really used the cameras so if that's a big deal for you, you might want to test it. I also do not have the dock, although a lot of people rave about it. Overall, the build quality is good (I actually prefer the plastic, tactile back to smooth aluminum) and at $399, you'll be hard pressed to find a more capable tablet.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Transformer for about four weeks now and am enjoying it thoroughly. I was previously using the original iPad. The Transformer is cheaper, faster, lighter, and I like the 16:9 display. The iPad might have a lot more apps right now but in all honesty, I'm not really wanting in that area. I primarily use it to surf the web, read ebooks, watch videos, and play games. There's more than enough quality apps to accomplish this.

The min-HDMI slot is awesome and one of the features I like the most. I had some friends and family over and they were blown away when I attached my Transformer to my HD-TV and showed them YouTube videos and pictures.

My Transformer did not have any noticeable light bleed. It has performed well with suprisingly few force closes from my apps. My only real issue is the YouTube performance through the browser. It struggles mightily but when you watch the same HD video on the native app, it runs fine.

I haven't really used the cameras so if that's a big deal for you, you might want to test it. I also do not have the dock, although a lot of people rave about it. Overall, the build quality is good (I actually prefer the plastic, tactile back to smooth aluminum) and at $399, you'll be hard pressed to find a more capable tablet.

Its actually a 16:10 screen.

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I had that problem where it was really hard to respond in the browser. I noticed my suggested words were not showing above the on screen keyboard so I knew it was a software problem. I restarted the TF and It worked fine again. If yours is acting like mine was, I could totally understand hating it too. Try using SmartKeyboard Pro for your software keyboard. It has been my best purchase on my android phones and works just as good on my TF.
As for video, the update has fixed YouTube and try using MoBoPlayer in the market to play your AVI's and MKV's. It works perfect for me.
As for browsing, if you do not care for Flash as you have stated, disable plug-ins in settings and it won't be as stuttery when loading page content. The experience becomes very similar to the ipad and you can still choose to tap on flash content to load at will.
To me it sounds like your TF suffers from all of the gripes only some people are cursed with. If my suggestions do not help your problems, I think you should return your TF since it may be a faulty system.
I live with an ipad and we are always battling on whose is the best. There is no denying that the transition and scrolling animation of the ipad is superior to honeycomb and out of the box the ipad is much easier, but with a little prowess and some tweaking, I seem to always win the battle of the tabs in functionality.

Thanks!

I did disable the predictive text and one other thing that slips my mind but maybe I'll try a new keyboard.

Did you mean tue 3.1 update fixed YouTube? Unfortunately I still experience very poor quality video from that and flash.

I saw a report today that the stay etailer stock supplies at steady. Maybe I will try it, as I have a return scheduled.

Of course another concern is the malware in marketplace, but I guess it's just about being vigilant in paying attn to required permissions.

The encryption thing needs to be fixed.

Last edited:

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I will buy an iOS device when they make a MacBook Air equipped keyboard docking station for the iPad 3. Untill then, my TF works just fine.

I agree this would be ideal. The addon keyboards suck. I ordered a zaggmate at the same time as the tf to try to create a solution, but both are lacking and I still go to a desktop or notebook.

I agree the iPad mail client stinks. As does the multitasking implementation and notifications..but most of all the lack of a centralized document location. Wile people seem to work around it with drop box, that leads to a lot of paying attn to versioning so I don't blow away the wrong file. Which is fine, but makes productivity really slow..

One app to send a file to another app, to edit then back to email, then into the original app..what a pain.