Transformer living up to your expectations?

jonhcox

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
All,

I have a coworker that is trying to sell me a Transformer because he needs quick cash. I'm deeply considering buying it, but I want to know from all of you current owners out there how they seem to be holding up. How is the build quality, any issues that seem to be prevalent across the product? I'd like to get it for my wife as she really enjoys my Xoom, though I might keep the Transformer because of the superior display and give her the Xoom. Just looking for both the positives and negatives as the deal is really too good to turn down. Anyone had to deal with Asus customer service and how well did it go?

All input greatly appreciated.

Regards,
J

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
So far so good for me and my Transformer. I've been using it quite a bit (pretty much my main device at home and on the road now). Even been using it at the office. There are some light leakage issues (but it only seems to occur during bootup for me). Other than that, I've no complaints so far, except I need to get the dock for my wife's TF (her's comes in today).

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't compare it to the Xoom but I did have the Galaxy Tab and returned that within 24 hours. I love my Transformer so much I just ordered one for my hubby (along with a dock for us to share).

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The Transformer has definitely lived up to my expectations. I imagine I will be blown away even more when my keyboard dock arrives.

mikehoff99

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I love It! I love everything about it. even with the light bleed, Ii only happens when it is booting up, and when going into certain youtube videos, is is soooo minimal. Oh yeah...did i say I love it?

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I love mine as well - I would say if yu are getting a decent discount on it, I would jump. This is especially true if your wife likes Android. If she is not techy AT ALL then I would get her an ipad1 refurb - that is what my wife has and loves it. She seems to think that the interface on honeycomb is as complex as a PC.

Oddly enough, she uses and Android phone (droid x) and likes that, but as far as tablets go she prefers that ipad.

After owning mine a few weeks now and having played with many others, the Transformer would still be my first choice even if it cost the same as the competitors - since it was cheaper it was a no brainer for me.

hargoth#AC

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hooked mine up to a TV and wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse last night, and was amazed. Sooo nice. There is no other tablet, at any cost, that is a match for the Transformer.

I owned the Xoom for a week and returned it.

I have had the Transformer now for about a week and have no intention of giving it up. I am constantly looking for interesting things to do with it. :)

FUN!

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It's an amazing device. Much better than I even thought. I got it for school but quickly realized how much more I'll be using it for. The Splashtop is easy to setup and works like a charm, the battery life-when combined with the dock-is outstanding, and Honeycomb is addicting to play with and learn. I'd recommend it to anyone.

jonhcox

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I love mine as well - I would say if yu are getting a decent discount on it, I would jump. This is especially true if your wife likes Android. If she is not techy AT ALL then I would get her an ipad1 refurb - that is what my wife has and loves it. She seems to think that the interface on honeycomb is as complex as a PC.

Oddly enough, she uses and Android phone (droid x) and likes that, but as far as tablets go she prefers that ipad.

After owning mine a few weeks now and having played with many others, the Transformer would still be my first choice even if it cost the same as the competitors - since it was cheaper it was a no brainer for me.

Wifey likes widgets and what I consider to be the best notifications system. Plus, she likes to fart around with all the features of Android. She likes to play.

Keep the info coming, all. Much appreciated. Looks like I will move on the Transformer.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with your transformer and I hope that it works out for you.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
ohboy, just joined here but i'd have to give it a huge now. Sorry for the negative first post! now let's see if i can find some solutions to curb the disappointment

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, to start I have issues that require me to exchange (dead pixels, light bleed, dust).. which could be ok, but in usage there are a few big things.

Browser lag is awful. For the power in the device it should be a smoother experience all around. Especially the typing lag when trying to reply to forums, etc. It's basically unusable.. well it's usable but leads to a lot of typos, even with the dock due to delay and missed strokes.

The Asus keyboard even introduces lag in things like polaris.

While not as bad as the browser lag, the entire device is just very sluggish to do anything.

Flash quality is desperately poor in all circumstances.. from what I gather, Asus did not include hardware decoding.. not sure why. Either way, it's not good. Most sites have html 5 versions of videos now, and those tend to look way better, on other devices.. but I'm guessing due to the embed tag used in given browsers, it's even difficult to get those to play in most cases.

App availability is just awful (It's early, I know) and due to browser issues (tried most of them, most of them fail in one way or another) falling back on apps is a must.

Even apps that have been optimized (USA Today for example) are very poor counterparts to their ios equivalents.. as far as UI goes... which also brings me to how there is a complete lack of unity on the devices.. even in the 'menu' icon position, changing from bottom to top..

The fact touch to click can't be disabled natively on the transformer dock trackpad is a disaster. It means one has to remember to turn off the trackpad with the hard button when typing anything in. At that point, why bother putting a trackpad there. In practice, the trackpad is bad. Additionally the buttons stick (which may be fixed wearing in).

I'm desperately trying to get out of the ios environment, but overall I just don't think android is there yet and this device, to me, should have probably seen delay to iron out quality and software issues.

It's disappointing that outside of mail, google didn't even bother updating their own apps for honeycomb... and also that anyone like myself looking to extricate from the apple ecosystem is greeted with such mediocrity. Before anyone takes that the wrong way, there are plenty of reasons I want to leave iOS, and apple has it's own plethora of issues.. however user interface and responsiveness are not two things on that list.

Sorry to be a party pooper.. I guess if I hadn't been using a tablet for the last 16 months, I wouldn't have the same expectations. I was hoping it would be 80% as good as the ipad as a tablet with the benefit of a netbook when needed.. unfortunately the speed issue is the largest deal killer. I can put up with limited apps, but not when I can't even effectively browse. Overall the device is slower than a dell mini 9 running windows 7 - which is slow.

One question it does lead to for me is.. do the phones perform better? There are certainly more phone apps available. However, the fact that many android handset users seem to think honeycomb is 'good' makes me wonder how bad gingerbread is and how sluggish the phones are.. otoh, it's had more revs...

I do think there is a certain amount of just 'being used to' a lack of polish it seems.

Btw, before I get crucified here, I am trying to be honest.. I'm a triplatform guy, and I couldn't care less who makes what or which os it runs.. so long as it fits my needs.

btw btw.. the typos in my first post were the result of trying to reply in honeycomb via web form...

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, to start I have issues that require me to exchange (dead pixels, light bleed, dust).. which could be ok, but in usage there are a few big things.

Browser lag is awful. For the power in the device it should be a smoother experience all around. Especially the typing lag when trying to reply to forums, etc. It's basically unusable.. well it's usable but leads to a lot of typos, even with the dock due to delay and missed strokes.

The Asus keyboard even introduces lag in things like polaris.

While not as bad as the browser lag, the entire device is just very sluggish to do anything.

Flash quality is desperately poor in all circumstances.. from what I gather, Asus did not include hardware decoding.. not sure why. Either way, it's not good. Most sites have html 5 versions of videos now, and those tend to look way better, on other devices.. but I'm guessing due to the embed tag used in given browsers, it's even difficult to get those to play in most cases.

App availability is just awful (It's early, I know) and due to browser issues (tried most of them, most of them fail in one way or another) falling back on apps is a must.

Even apps that have been optimized (USA Today for example) are very poor counterparts to their ios equivalents.. as far as UI goes... which also brings me to how there is a complete lack of unity on the devices.. even in the 'menu' icon position, changing from bottom to top..

The fact touch to click can't be disabled natively on the transformer dock trackpad is a disaster. It means one has to remember to turn off the trackpad with the hard button when typing anything in. At that point, why bother putting a trackpad there. In practice, the trackpad is bad. Additionally the buttons stick (which may be fixed wearing in).

I'm desperately trying to get out of the ios environment, but overall I just don't think android is there yet and this device, to me, should have probably seen delay to iron out quality and software issues.

It's disappointing that outside of mail, google didn't even bother updating their own apps for honeycomb... and also that anyone like myself looking to extricate from the apple ecosystem is greeted with such mediocrity. Before anyone takes that the wrong way, there are plenty of reasons I want to leave iOS, and apple has it's own plethora of issues.. however user interface and responsiveness are not two things on that list.

Sorry to be a party pooper.. I guess if I hadn't been using a tablet for the last 16 months, I wouldn't have the same expectations. I was hoping it would be 80% as good as the ipad as a tablet with the benefit of a netbook when needed.. unfortunately the speed issue is the largest deal killer. I can put up with limited apps, but not when I can't even effectively browse. Overall the device is slower than a dell mini 9 running windows 7 - which is slow.

One question it does lead to for me is.. do the phones perform better? There are certainly more phone apps available. However, the fact that many android handset users seem to think honeycomb is 'good' makes me wonder how bad gingerbread is and how sluggish the phones are.. otoh, it's had more revs...

I do think there is a certain amount of just 'being used to' a lack of polish it seems.

Btw, before I get crucified here, I am trying to be honest.. I'm a triplatform guy, and I couldn't care less who makes what or which os it runs.. so long as it fits my needs.

btw btw.. the typos in my first post were the result of trying to reply in honeycomb via web form...

Some legit points here - still like mine more than my wife's I pad - thinking if polish is what you want you should stick with your I pad bro

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
perhaps. I think some of this is silly lack of polish though. I don't really mind about app consistency, or gui being not as polished, but... when the browser lags so hard one can't really get a good reply typed on a hard keyboard.. something needs to be examined.

I also forgot a big point, which is the wifi is very very weak compared to all other devices in my house (ranging from windows, mac, linux, phones) - it just won't connect well. I am hoping that is a driver issue.

Thing is - asus said they plan on shipping version 2 of this device in q4, which is at least how much time i think it will take for app selection to grow and honeycomb to be worked out. so why bother now?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Typing this reply on the TF dock. There is not much lag at all. There should be none, I agree, but its not that bad. Letters are probably 1-2 key strokes behind my typing at most, and usally less. I prbly type much slower on this smaller keyboard, guesing 30-40 wpm. The arrow keys are a pian though. They do not seem to work as expected.

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Even with all the quirks you just mentioned, l would still take the transformer over an iPad. My biggest problem with my son's iPad is the screen isn't as crisp and clear as my transformer.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a little lag with the Asus keyboard but that was gone as soon as I switched to the android stock keyuboard.

I agree the stock browser needs some work but the are great third party browsers out there too like dolphin HD

I also agree that the honecomb app selecrtion is q little limited but so is the I pad app selection - especially when it was newer. At least android can gracefully up size most apps.
In the end the iPad is a great advice but not the one for me. I have not and will not ever buy into the iTunes world.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000